What's new

Low tier variation problems: Who's struggling and why

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
tarkatan is obviously bottom tier bruh , unsafe bruh, no footsie bruh (tail now has hurtbox), no zoning bruh, unsafe counterzoning bruh, jump 2 is to easy to anti air bruh

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Why is his neutral terrible? I keep hearing this but I don't get why? He has those annoying bombs that force actions on the opponent and there is like 0 recovery on the whiffed air grabs that he uses to get in.
The bombs have start-up frames like Iceball, and then take ages before they have a hitbox. You can "force actions" if they sit there and hold it but anyone with a slide or a tp can do it on reaction for the most part, and giving them the option to just run in and pressure you isn't always a great option. They are ok though. But not some brilliant tool for controlling space or opening people up, he doesnt have CSZ's divekicks or F2 or slide or iceball recovery so this works a lot better for sub. Ex Bomb is pretty useful if your opponent doesnt have a great way of dealing with it though.

also there is a shitload of active frames on air grab and it has no hitbox, so its really easy to anti-air

net covers a lot of the screen vertically so If you miss timed your jump you get hit and you can't duck it
Net's cool but you can't AA with it unless on read, its very reactable, and very punishable.

He has good run speed, good backdash, good walk speed, low profiling fast d3 and the foward advancing kicks that are plus on block, 50/50.
That's literally just all Triborg stuff. And if you mean his F43 by plus on block advancing kick, its actually full combo punishable on block by ducking the second hit. You can mix it up with F4 saw tho.

What makes the mids garbage? I was under the impression that f2 was a pretty good mid. Is it because it's hard to hit confirm?
I can hit confirm Jax's 11 into OHDP, and I can't confirm Cyrax's F21. The 2 hits happen right next to each other. So that's one problem. Also, it whiffs against D4's.

mentioned the setups aren't guaranteed. Are they beaten by tech roll or delayed wakeup? Can you do different setups that beat those things?
There is no set-ups that cover both delayed wake up AND tech roll. Just not blocking is often a great way out as well, B3D4 won't launch and B12+4 requires a super tight tech roll into 1 Bar just to combo. Although he does have options. On top of that, most double armor goes straight through these set-ups, as does Invul wake-ups like Smoke and Ethereal.

cyrax's ex Saw is a pretty nice projectile tho

omooba

fear the moobs
Is it only those who haven't taken the time to figure out how to get out of cyraxs setups that up play him? Makes sense because it's rare you'll run into him. His neutral is terrible and most players get tired of being low profiled.
there's no guaranteed way to get out of his set ups all can be read and punished. and being low profiled is a problem a lot of character's have doesn't make him bottom tier. i don't think he's top tier obviously but bottom 5 is downplaying. he's about low mid
same with spec ops she has good stuff

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
Why is his neutral terrible? I keep hearing this but I don't get why? He has those annoying bombs that force actions on the opponent and there is like 0 recovery on the whiffed air grabs that he uses to get in. The net covers a lot of the screen vertically so If you miss timed your jump you get hit and you can't duck it. He has good run speed, good backdash, good walk speed, low profiling fast d3 and the foward advancing kicks that are plus on block, 50/50. All of this without mentioning the oki setups which is another mind blender. Why is the Cyrax community saying that his neutral is bad?
Your best bet is to play the character, friend. Idk where you stand in rank, but hopefully you find some matches against someone who knows how to play. And you'll just see for yourself.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Your best bet is to play the character, friend. Idk where you stand in rank, but hopefully you find some matches against someone who knows how to play. And you'll just see for yourself.
I can't even get past doing the combos consistently let alone actually playing the damn character. I have an easier time with tight links like with Tempest than I do with that convoluted ass shit. Sometimes you cancel into bombs and sometimes you do the bomb input without special canceling and then you need to be this or that close to the opponent and don't forget that you also need to delay some strings but then do some in advance...how the fuck do you people do this?

Kroaken

I can't even get past doing the combos consistently let alone actually playing the damn character. I have an easier time with tight links like with Tempest than I do with that convoluted ass shit. Sometimes you cancel into bombs and sometimes you do the bomb input without special canceling and then you need to be this or that close to the opponent and don't forget that you also need to delay some strings but then do some in advance...how the fuck do you people do this?
The combos, with practice, aren't super hard. The problem is they are very spacing and gravity based due to so many juggles. The issue is that they can be inconsistent and they are wierd in "conversion" situations.

Kroaken

I've talked about this in sfv. And I guess it applies here. Cyrax isn't impossible to win with... there are just a lot of characters that have an easier go of it. By simpler mechanics or better tools. Or both. So is cyrax bad? No. I don't think he's bad. Is he as good as... idk... sub zero? No I don't think so. And you can replace sub with a lot of characters. That's all.

Scars and mustard are champs. And amazing at converting into dmg imo.

About Cyrax:

Pros:

Damage,
Crazy setups,
Setplay,
NJP,
Anti-airs,
Great counter-pokes with regular saw and EX bomb,
Regular saw and EX saw are REALLY good,
Safe 50/50s with regular saw,
Safe 50/50s that leads into a full combo thanks to the EX saw,
Good space control with bombs and net,
Air grab is good to approach,
Not meter hungry,
EX saw and EX bomb are underrated wakeups.

Cons:

His main mid (F2) has a small hitbox,
A lot of hit/hurt boxes issues,
His armored move is not very good,
Tricky hit confirms,
Very high execution.

To me, he is a very good character.
also his combos take up 2 78 seconds to finish which ends up timing you out, dunno if thats a pro or a con

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
Skedar no need to become childish.

Cyrax is awesome, but you won't be seeing any tier whores picking him up anytime soon.

It is a worry though because with a few buffs he could easily be top 5.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Thank you for actually going into detail and stating real, specific reasons for this variations problems. How bad is teleflurry on whiff? Are we talking full combo punishable from full screen or they just get in? What kind of reward does he get off ex overhead slash?
Teleflurry is like -43 on whiff, it's terrible for a 9% space control move. It can cost you your entire life. Some characters can full combo punish it anywhere on the screen (best examples are displacer raiden, scorpion) others with a good advancing mid get free punish from around half screen, and every character gets in your face by simply whiffing 1 tf.
Imo it should be like -30 or -32. Some characters could still punish it but it wouldn't be this "kick my ass please" type of punish. Also, exteleflurry buff (+1 on block) is irrelevant, it should have been given a mb version working as jacqui's machinegun, or just all hits coming out on block with exteleflurry.

Ex overhead slash now gives you full combo on hit, that's good, and Balanced players have been months pointing out that he needed it. The problem is that the startup is too slow to be a real threat, in both regular and ex versions.

Anyway the main problem with this special move, imo, is that regular one gives no real advantage on hit (between -1 and +1) and Kenshi should be much more rewarded for landing such a slow move, at least in the close version it should be around +10 to give a b3/throw mixup opportunity. The mid range version could be +3 on hit and the far version would be fine as is.

Also, current exrising karma has no true purpose in the game, that sucks immensely.

Although these and other changes in his specials are important, he would also need some love regarding his normals and strings. For example, he would need a 6f d1 as the pure defensive character he is, d4 should be faster, 4412 string should get the first gap removed, and b1~overhead slash and 322~overhead slash shouldn't have a gap (this could be achieved with the overhead slash startup reduction).

Some players like Reo suggested giving him just a single big buff like making f3 an overhead. Although that would obviously make him stronger, I don't think that favors the way Kenshi is supposed to be played.

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
High Tech is a solid contender for worst character in the game.

Cons:
- Poor footsies
- Poor pokes
- No full screen presence
- Heavily stamina dependant
- Easily zoned
- Poor mids (can easily be low profiled)
- No winning matchups

Pros:
- Female hitbox
- Good block pressure
- Ok damage
- lack of meter reliance
- Great walk speed

Essentially she's viable when she gets in but her tool kit is so stunted she struggles greatly with footsies and actually getting in. She relies on stamina to get in, but also needs it to combo and to pressure on block. This creates a situation where even when she gets in, she's often at a disadvantage because she doesn't have access to her strongest tools. The fact that everyone and their mother can low profile s4 just makes the whole thing even worse.

If she were to get buffed range on her punching normals (d1, d2, f1, f2, b1, b2, s1, s2) when gauntlets were active this would would address her biggest issues without affecting full auto or shotgun. It would also play more into her character archetype; forcing her to get gauntlets setup in order to become a powerhouse.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
High Tech is a solid contender for worst character in the game.

Cons:
- Poor footsies
- Poor pokes
- No full screen presence
- Heavily stamina dependant
- Easily zoned
- Poor mids (can easily be low profiled)
- No winning matchups

Pros:
- Female hitbox
- Good block pressure
- Ok damage
- lack of meter reliance
- Great walk speed

Essentially she's viable when she gets in but her tool kit is so stunted she struggles greatly with footsies and actually getting in. She relies on stamina to get in, but also needs it to combo and to pressure on block. This creates a situation where even when she gets in, she's often at a disadvantage because she doesn't have access to her strongest tools. The fact that everyone and their mother can low profile s4 just makes the whole thing even worse.

If she were to get buffed range on her punching normals (d1, d2, f1, f2, b1, b2, s1, s2) when gauntlets were active this would would address her biggest issues without affecting full auto or shotgun. It would also play more into her character archetype; forcing her to get gauntlets setup in order to become a powerhouse.
Grandmaster vs HT is probably worse than GM vs Jax.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
after the last patch Shinnok's completely fine balance-wise.

I still find annoying that s3 hits mid, that f31d2u2 in BS is completely useless, that people can still run past necro's flick and most of all the eternal stun after a mimicry, but balance-wise I have no complaints what so ever.

Skedar70

Noob
The bombs have start-up frames like Iceball, and then take ages before they have a hitbox. You can "force actions" if they sit there and hold it but anyone with a slide or a tp can do it on reaction for the most part, and giving them the option to just run in and pressure you isn't always a great option. They are ok though. But not some brilliant tool for controlling space or opening people up, he doesnt have CSZ's divekicks or F2 or slide or iceball recovery so this works a lot better for sub. Ex Bomb is pretty useful if your opponent doesnt have a great way of dealing with it though.

also there is a shitload of active frames on air grab and it has no hitbox, so its really easy to anti-air

Net's cool but you can't AA with it unless on read, its very reactable, and very punishable.

That's literally just all Triborg stuff. And if you mean his F43 by plus on block advancing kick, its actually full combo punishable on block by ducking the second hit. You can mix it up with F4 saw tho.

I can hit confirm Jax's 11 into OHDP, and I can't confirm Cyrax's F21. The 2 hits happen right next to each other. So that's one problem. Also, it whiffs against D4's.

There is no set-ups that cover both delayed wake up AND tech roll. Just not blocking is often a great way out as well, B3D4 won't launch and B12+4 requires a super tight tech roll into 1 Bar just to combo. Although he does have options. On top of that, most double armor goes straight through these set-ups, as does Invul wake-ups like Smoke and Ethereal.

cyrax's ex Saw is a pretty nice projectile tho
Everything here sound like a reasonable fair character. He has his options and leaves the opponent options. Perfect balance. This doesn't make him bottom tier. Why the downplaying? why does the Cyrax community say he is bottom tier?. Everything here describes a perfect mid tier character.

kantboy-2

Ripper
CrazyFingers; keep rocking with Butcher and the green shirt is a must. I love his playstyle. A high-level Butcher is super fun to watch.

I love playing with Lackey, but I had stopped playing him a LONG time ago. When I came back to him, he seemed worse? Did they make his D2 even slower? He should have his round win animation (the ground pound) as a special armored move (MB, 2 pounds/2 armor hits), so he can actually do stuff against zoners/fireballers, knock them down and close distance.

Commando is fine the way he is. I just want them to actually fix the grab whiffs and standardize the parries. There's no logic behind the fact that some moves can be countered and the Shaolin boyz have free reign to not give a crap about it.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Everything here sound like a reasonable fair character. He has his options and leaves the opponent options. Perfect balance. This doesn't make him bottom tier. Why the downplaying? why does the Cyrax community say he is bottom tier?. Everything here describes a perfect mid tier character.
He's low mid tier. That's the general consensus I've found. He's not trash but he's not a "solid mid tier character" he has blatant flaws in his tools that really harm him. Maybe eventually as this patch develops the character will be seen as better than he currently is perceived as but that will be then and this is now.

Kroaken

What matchups do you guys think Cyrax wins? I'd like to see the light of this great mid tier character.
That's the thing. It seems like they're looking at the rax man in a vacuum. But that's not what decides if he's lower tier or not. If you're going to call him mid, you need to be able to list at least 1/3 or so of the rosters variations that are worse off.

Skedar70

Noob
That's the thing. It seems like they're looking at the rax man in a vacuum. But that's not what decides if he's lower tier or not. If you're going to call him mid, you need to be able to list at least 1/3 or so of the rosters variations that are worse off.
Lackey, High Tech, Warrior. These are the only ones that I have experience and could consider worse. The rest are even with Cyrax and I'm not familiar with other characters less used variations that might be candidates (Bo rai cho, goro, leatherface)

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
What matchups do you guys think Cyrax wins? I'd like to see the light of this great mid tier character.
I think he wins against:

Hi-Tech,
Warrior,
Marksman,
Lackey,
Inferno,
Balanced,
Kenjutsu.

He does not have much winning matchups, but that's fine. He has A LOT of even matchups.