What's new

Low tier variation problems: Who's struggling and why

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
I want to know what characters/variations are struggling in the new meta and why. The patch has been out for a little over a month now, so we've all had some time to formulate opinions, reach conclusions, and possibly even refine those conclusions. I don't really want to hear buffs because, frankly, that's not a useful discussion. I certainly have my own thoughts on how I would help my main, but they will have no real impact, even on the off chance Paulo reads them. What we can do is present issues and possibly raise awareness of those issues throughout the community. Make the case for what the problems are and how they affect your variation negatively.

I'll start with D'vorah, the only character I feel qualified to judge. Venomous is not doing well, which isn't really new. I legitimately think she might be bottom 5. The addition of safe armor was a boon, but at the cost of her chip damage, it has thrown her offense off entirely. The character was balanced around being able to do ~13% chip after a restand. That was the only justification for her complete lack of comboability off the majority of her strings.

This has been an issue throughout the game's life. Only being able to do 17.5% off of f1, her best whiff punisher by far, has always held her back. There used to be a notion that Venomous had the best footsies of D'vorah's variations, but I've always considered that erroneous specifically because she can't convert off of f1. The purpose of footsies is not to land pokes, but actual hits. It takes far more pokes than you are going to land to make up the difference between the damage done by the other variations landing a f1 combo.

While she does have a vortex (not quite a true vortex as the overhead is now armorable) the difference in damage between them is so high that it requires a great deal of conditioning to force someone to block low, as you must land 3 b1~df1's to marginally surpass the damage of one f34 combo. 12% is the best she has, while keeping the opponent standing. It goes up to a whopping 17% for b12~air grab. This threat imbalance between overhead/low doesn't work without the chip. I can't think of any other vortex character that doesn't have the ability to go for max damage combos that end the vortex.

On top of this, Venomous has possibly the least anti-zoning options in the game. She has x-ray and puddle, which is definitely not what it once was at +12 on block, still full combo punishable if baited, and might get you a dash on hit if you traded. Her run speed is, of course, great, but her walk speed is about the same as Bo Rai Cho, possibly worse. No advancing armor, no teleports, no dive kick, no projectile absorb or parries. I actually like that I have to get in honestly. Having a weakness is great, but they need to be off set by strengths, and she is just not particularly strong up close.

Brood Mother I think is actually pretty close to perfect. Her only real problem is the massive amount of gaps and certain characters (Kano, Reptile, Scorpion, Sub, Mileena, Jacqui, and D'vorah herself) low profile blocking her projectiles, which completely changes how she can pressure. Whenever BM attempts an ex bug blast combo, there are 2 gaps. First, it can be interrupted meterlessly for a full combo by jabbing between the normal and the bug blast itself. Then the ex bug blast also has a gap between the projectiles, allowing the second one to be low profiled for either a poke or d2. So b1()ex df1(), both meterlessly punishable. BM also gets zoned as hard as Venomous in many matchups due to how slow her projectile is.

Swarm Queen, I don't feel qualified to speak on. I never could get the cancels down in an actual game, which is why I played the other two more. Seems like it's not what it was, but not horrible either.

Anyways, your characters and their issues. Tell me, I want to know.

omooba

fear the moobs
alist-the fact that if you run more than an inch you can't run cancel even on hit for a combo is pretty bad
jax(HW)-same reason except the fact that jax needs stamina to hit confirm exoverhead punch makes his waaaay worse
high tech-bruuuuuuh
yeah i mostly played run cancel character's before the patch and it's a world of difference but eh i think i can adjust

Skedar70

Noob
Ancestral and Master of storms got some salvation in this new patch. The ones I still don't see High Tech Jaqui, Warrior predator.

Second Saint

I think the bottom 5 in no order is Outlaw Erron Black, Marksman Erron Black, Cyrax, Balanced Kenshi, and HT Jacqui.
I'm aware that Marksman has issues like all other run cancel characters, but what about Outlaw? What specifically are the problems that make him bottom 5. A list is not what we need. Anyone can just throw out characters and say they're bottom 5. That's not persuasive, it's not helpful, and it barely breeds discussion.

What are the problems, specifically? Erron has no good mid, right? Is that it? Overhead is too slow now? These characters got hurt worse by the armor changes than others? Have no anti-zoning? Don't tell me who's bottom 5, make your case. Show me why.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
Is it only those who haven't taken the time to figure out how to get out of cyraxs setups that up play him? Makes sense because it's rare you'll run into him. His neutral is terrible and most players get tired of being low profiled.

Skedar70

Noob
Is it only those who haven't taken the time to figure out how to get out of cyraxs setups that up play him? Makes sense because it's rare you'll run into him. His neutral is terrible and most players get tired of being low profiled.
Why is his neutral terrible? I keep hearing this but I don't get why? He has those annoying bombs that force actions on the opponent and there is like 0 recovery on the whiffed air grabs that he uses to get in. The net covers a lot of the screen vertically so If you miss timed your jump you get hit and you can't duck it. He has good run speed, good backdash, good walk speed, low profiling fast d3 and the foward advancing kicks that are plus on block, 50/50. All of this without mentioning the oki setups which is another mind blender. Why is the Cyrax community saying that his neutral is bad?

Second Saint

I think butcher leatherface is buns but he's still fun to use.
Care to elaborate on WHY he's buns? No one seems to want to give details, just state that a character is bad.

As for Commando, I'm a novice with the character at best, but he seems to really only suffer from the lop-sided risk/reward of most command grab characters. I guess he doesn't really have a great whiff punish tool either, with only f4 coming to mind, which requires committing to ex ball to get any real damage.

Other than that, he's got great armor traps with up ball and ex command grab, can be safe on most everything with choke, has a good neutral game with his knives and air ball, which also adds another layer to his mixup game when done instantly up close, even if it is unsafe. He really excels at shutting down counter pokes, either through parries or armor.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
I think butcher leatherface is buns but he's still fun to use.
I disagree man. F12 does so much for base Leatherface that we can't ignore it. D3/D1 are both very good pokes he has insane meterless damage (he can get 39% meterless off of his completely safe overhead) good anti airs (D2, S1, F1) plus frames with small amounts of risk. The ability to steal games due to 50/50 town. He has stuff, he is far from buns.

AGRxShiroKuma

The White Bear
Care to elaborate on WHY he's buns? No one seems to want to give details, just state that a character is bad.

As for Commando, I'm a novice with the character at best, but he seems to really only suffer from the lop-sided risk/reward of most command grab characters. I guess he doesn't really have a great whiff punish tool either, with only f4 coming to mind, which requires committing to ex ball to get any real damage.

Other than that, he's got great armor traps with up ball and ex command grab, can be safe on most everything with choke, has a good neutral game with his knives and air ball, which also adds another layer to his mixup game when done instantly up close, even if it is unsafe. He really excels at shutting down counter pokes, either through parries or armor.
The only thing I can get to work with leat her face is mixing them up with F21D2 or F3 into chainsaw sparks then I for 22 so I can try and mix them again. His mallet slam is safe if blocked but I've been poked out of it. The only tic throw I know of with butcher is D4. There's just not a real reason to pick butcher over killer or pretty lady imo. Still a fun variation to play.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
The only thing I can get to work with leat her face is mixing them up with F21D2 or F3 into chainsaw sparks then I for 22 so I can try and mix them again. His mallet slam is safe if blocked but I've been poked out of it. The only tic throw I know of with butcher is D4. There's just not a real reason to pick butcher over killer or pretty lady imo. Still a fun variation to play.
Should go read my Butcher guide if you haven't already. Might change your outlook on him.

AGRxShiroKuma

The White Bear
I disagree man. F12 does so much for base Leatherface that we can't ignore it. D3/D1 are both very good pokes he has insane meterless damage (he can get 39% meterless off of his completely safe overhead) good anti airs (D2, S1, F1) plus frames with small amounts of risk. The ability to steal games due to 50/50 town. He has stuff, he is far from buns.
Hopefully I will see a decent one in kombay cup or online somew here so I can understand. Don't get me wrong crazy I love butcher I just don't see what makes him that good.