What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think you press 4 to cancel float, sure you aren't pressing that? He can end the lightning early for pressure shenanigans and hit frames.
Yes, 100% positive and I can reproduce it pretty consistently. I just did it twice in a row mid-screen and can confirm that my inputs were correct and that I never canceled it. He teleports up, spends a meter, 1 bolt comes out, and then he immediately falls out of it without me canceling.

[edit] I think it may just be something wonky with Meter Refill in training mode. I noticed it was only happening when I had 1 meter left. So, I turned off Meter Refill and set it to normal, and now I can't reproduce the issue.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Alright, I've got the down-up cancels at about 95% consistency in practice mode with online delay enabled. For me, this method seems to help a lot:
  1. The down-up input needs to be two totally separate inputs with a slight pause between them. So down, pause, up.
  2. The down input needs to be pressed before the final hit of the string connects (or before the normal hits if it's not a string).
  3. The up needs to come out just after the attack connects. The timing seems slightly variable, depending on whether the attack is blocked or not, but it does feel pretty lenient once you start to consistently land in the zone.
  4. So, the full patten looks like: press down > let attack connect > press up

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Alright, I've got the down-up cancels at about 95% consistency in practice mode with online delay enabled. For me, this method seems to help a lot:
  1. The down-up input needs to be two totally separate inputs with a slight pause between them. So down, pause, up.
  2. The down input needs to be pressed before the final hit of the string connects (or before the normal hits if it's not a string).
  3. The up needs to come out just after the attack connects. The timing seems slightly variable, depending on whether the attack is blocked or not, but it does feel pretty lenient once you start to consistently land in the zone.
  4. So, the full patten looks like: press down > let attack connect > press up
I’m going to have to try that. Am struggling with float inputs myself :(

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I’m going to have to try that. Am struggling with float inputs myself :(
Now it's just f4 that's giving me problems. Everything else seems really lenient as long as you wait until the last hit to input the "up" command. But f4 requires some very strict timing. The hardest part for me is doing it too quickly, so the Up is pressed just as I hit, instead of directly after. Once I slow it down and ensure I hit before the Up in input, it gets to be pretty consistent.

Mandolore1123

Now it's just f4 that's giving me problems. Everything else seems really lenient as long as you wait until the last hit to input the "up" command. But f4 requires some very strict timing. The hardest part for me is doing it too quickly, so the Up is pressed just as I hit, instead of directly after. Once I slow it down and ensure I hit before the Up in input, it gets to be pretty consistent.
Yeah it’s mainly F4 for me too. The fact that it’s different on hit and on block irks me to no end

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Ooh, I found an excerice to practice the f4 Float Cancel timing! It's really easy. Just press f4, and practice pressing down, letting the f4 connect, and then pressing up. If you do it correctly, the float will come out. It makes it crazy easy to learn the rhythm. It feels like bam...bam-bam-bam.

Mandolore1123

Yes, 100% positive and I can reproduce it pretty consistently. I just did it twice in a row mid-screen and can confirm that my inputs were correct and that I never canceled it. He teleports up, spends a meter, 1 bolt comes out, and then he immediately falls out of it without me canceling.

[edit] I think it may just be something wonky with Meter Refill in training mode. I noticed it was only happening when I had 1 meter left. So, I turned off Meter Refill and set it to normal, and now I can't reproduce the issue.
This might be a bug in the game. I’ve personally never had it happen to me but on the Finish Him screen if you do AMP float and the first bolt hits the opponent you drop down immediately too.

Mandolore1123

Ooh, I found an excerice to practice the f4 Float Cancel timing! It's really easy. Just press f4, and practice pressing down, letting the f4 connect, and then pressing up. If you do it correctly, the float will come out. It makes it crazy easy to learn the rhythm. It feels like bam...bam-bam-bam.
Thanks. I’ll try it. I’m getting it more consistently now, but I’m down for anything to help me improve

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
The timing for f4 into lightning storm isn't hard.
If you watch raiden feet during f4 after he makes the first step you can start buffering the down up input.
It'll help you understand the input timing for that string better.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
The timing for f4 into lightning storm isn't hard.
If you watch raiden feet during f4 after he makes the first step you can start buffering the down up input.
It'll help you understand the input timing for that string better.
I'll have to hit the lab and try that. Thanks for the tip.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
So has anyone found any good use for jo push? Is it a dead move? I'm trying to make a custom out of it for fun and to explore but I'm wondering if it's pointless...??

Mandolore1123

So has anyone found any good use for jo push? Is it a dead move? I'm trying to make a custom out of it for fun and to explore but I'm wondering if it's pointless...??
If you're using it for fun then there's no reason to worry about viability. It's a launcher that frees up the DB2 input for summon lightning and frees up the DB4 input for rod, at the cost of conflicting with BF3 superman. It's also plagued by whiffing issues and is the lowest damaging launcher in Raiden's entire arsenal. It's not a good move by any means but again if you're just messing around then just do it lol

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Jo Push is pointless from a competitive standpoint. It's his least damaging launcher, it costs two slots, it doesn't really add any safety or any bonus utility other than side switch (Which he can already do in Thunder Wave), and it takes away Electric Fly.

The only way I see picking Jo Push is if you really want Summon Lightning, Rolling Thunder, and a Launcher all in the same build. Ending a combo in Summon Lightning would let you safely put out the cloud. Also you could catch people trying to jump over the cloud with Summon Lightning.

xRantex

Rante Inferno
So I've noticed that Raidens f3 stuffs some characters wake ups in the corner specifically not sure about midscreen. Has this been discussed and tested before??

Also I'm looking for the new Raiden brutality requirements.

Mandolore1123

So I've noticed that Raidens f3 stuffs some characters wake ups in the corner specifically not sure about midscreen. Has this been discussed and tested before??

Also I'm looking for the new Raiden brutality requirements.
You can stuff U2s with any button by performing a meaty attack because they aren’t invincible. You can’t stuff U3s because they are invincible on startup (nothing hits them until the active frames of the attack come into play).

The only new Raiden brutal currently out is the forward throw brutal. You hold D to get it

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
What's the good anti-stomp method with Raiden, I got used to using Shang's F4 as a "fuck that" tool and I can't quite get my movement down with the Lord

VS SHEEVA STOMP

You can teleport (wait a bit after she has left the screen), but you need to walk in a direction after teleport to avoid the max-delay stomp (and teleporting further does nothing but spend your meter, since she auto-tracks).

You can also Electric Fly (do it a breath after she has left the screen, and hold its backward-stepping charge for a second) vs the non-delay timing, and punish it while avoiding everything but tiny delay timings. Directional stomp catches the Fly backstep if you delay, but just doing a pause-less Fly can still be used to escape.

Backdashing after she has left the screen + walk back / double dash forwards avoids the non-delay and max-delay timings with most characters, but gets caught by the between-delays... but gives you the biggest punish opportunity.

Storm Cell kind of works. You need to delay it to cover the whole length of Sheeva's delay options, and it often doesn't grab her into the amp for a combo. You very often trade (both take 50 dmg) and sometimes she punches through a gap anyway.

Last edited:

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
Thanks ppl, I don't use any of those moves in my variation but I'll just have to get good at reacting and dashing. Got to have quick fingers

But you all overlooked this easy and most viable punish! If his first name is Lord then the Sheeva player best beware

Person got punished twice and still tried air drop for a third time lol that hit confirm determination was real

Yeah, (close) Lightning Strike is the coolest way to handle her. Call Lightning can grab her when you're certain she'll be jumping. Neither is terribly effective in the traditional sense, because you need to hit a specific 7-8f window in order to deal low dmg, but when you're styling, you're styling.