What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

xRantex

Rante Inferno
What's everyone opinion on lightening storm? I used it with storm cell and rolling thunder and I felt it was an ok replacement for the teleport, just playing around for fun whenever my wins in kl are high from TW.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
What's everyone opinion on lightening storm? I used it with storm cell and rolling thunder and I felt it was an ok replacement for the teleport, just playing around for fun whenever my wins in kl are high from TW.
Float is good but only if you use the AMP and the stomp. It’s an up close tool mostly to stay safe and deal massive amounts of chip, and you can use it on OKI to punish certain WU options

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter

I really like it. It basically gives him a safe overhead that does 9% damage and is -3 or -1 on block. I think it really helps out his stagger game , gives an option for nice safe chip, and provides good oki. The projectile move off of it is mostly terrible, but is potentially useful in certain matchups where the opponent relies on a low projectile.

The value of using it to mix up your staggers is the thing I like the most. I feel like Raiden has so many options and useable strings now. Especially considering how much easier it is to jail. off of D1/D3/F3 and how B14 is now +1.

The other value Lightning Storm has is that since it's only 1 slot compared to Sparkport with 2 slots, is it means you can pair Lightning Storm with Storm Cell and still have a slot left to round out your custom moves. Rolling Thunder adds nice DOT. Lightning Rod isn't great but at least adds some potential for setups. You can go with Quick Charge and now you can punish pokes and get some potential corner restands. You can go with Electric Current and now you got 50/50 mixups off of your B1 and F3 strings in addition to the staggers.

Mandolore1123

I really like it. It basically gives him a safe overhead that does 9% damage and is -3 or -1 on block. I think it really helps out his stagger game , gives an option for nice safe chip, and provides good oki. The projectile move off of it is mostly terrible, but is potentially useful in certain matchups where the opponent relies on a low projectile.

The value of using it to mix up your staggers is the thing I like the most. I feel like Raiden has so many options and useable strings now. Especially considering how much easier it is to jail. off of D1/D3/F3 and how B14 is now +1.

The other value Lightning Storm has is that since it's only 1 slot compared to Sparkport with 2 slots, is it means you can pair Lightning Storm with Storm Cell and still have a slot left to round out your custom moves. Rolling Thunder adds nice DOT. Lightning Rod isn't great but at least adds some potential for setups. You can go with Quick Charge and now you can punish pokes and get some potential corner restands. You can go with Electric Current and now you got 50/50 mixups off of your B1 and F3 strings in addition to the staggers.
I’ll add that while stomp does 9% it’s unlikely that you’ll be landing it raw. B12~DU AMP, 3 does 167 damage for a bar (less than cancelling into electric fly), but on block it does at least 5% chip (much much more than what Raijin would be able to do). I think the chip damage is an important aspect not really talked about since to my knowledge you can’t really react to float and jab punish if you AMP fast enough, so they have to hold the chip. To compare, AMP rolling thunder does 5% damage only if ALL the ticks on the cloud hit the opponent, so for a bar you do more chip guaranteed than the cloud will do in a practical situation.

Darth Mao

Your Tech is Mine! #buffRaiden
I'm still in doubt about the third skill (using Storm Cell and Quick Charge right now), nothing really calls my attention as something really valuable.

Lightning Storm has its uses, but the opponent can interrupt with a jab before the MB even starts, so isn't worth the risk. Rolling Thunder conflicts with QC, so GTFO. I like Eletric Burst but Lightning Strike can be handle at times. Super Bolt is meh at best, so I think Eletric Current is the way.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Lightning Storm has its uses, but the opponent can interrupt with a jab before the MB even starts, so isn't worth the risk.
Do you think the opponent can jab out of it regularly on reaction? It can definitely get jabbed out of at the end of strings if the opponent is looking for it, but I wonder how it would work if you started mixing it in the middle of strings, or staggered in some other moves as well. Full disclose I'm at a pretty casual level, so most of the players I get matched up against probably wouldn't be able to consistently punish it. I'm curious how higher level players would handle it.

Mandolore1123

I'm still in doubt about the third skill (using Storm Cell and Quick Charge right now), nothing really calls my attention as something really valuable.

Lightning Storm has its uses, but the opponent can interrupt with a jab before the MB even starts, so isn't worth the risk. Rolling Thunder conflicts with QC, so GTFO. I like Eletric Burst but Lightning Strike can be handle at times. Super Bolt is meh at best, so I think Eletric Current is the way.
They can only interrupt lightning storm on read, not reaction though. You can mix up the options a lot too by just doing raw stomps if they start to respect the AMP. You can do close stomp if they want to dash forwards under you or regular stomp if they want to back dash

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
Hey Raiden peeps, question: the game frame data (corroborated by Kombat Akademy) suggests raw Sparkport has 29 frames of recovery, but the training lab frame data tool says it's 19 and it feels like 19 in a match setting. Anyone know what the actual data is?

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Hey Raiden peeps, question: the game frame data (corroborated by Kombat Akademy) suggests raw Sparkport has 29 frames of recovery, but the training lab frame data tool says it's 19 and it feels like 19 in a match setting. Anyone know what the actual data is?
19 sounds right to me.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Probably more valuable to trust your feelings and experience using the move.

Darth Mao

Do you think the opponent can jab out of it regularly on reaction? It can definitely get jabbed out of at the end of strings if the opponent is looking for it, but I wonder how it would work if you started mixing it in the middle of strings, or staggered in some other moves as well. Full disclose I'm at a pretty casual level, so most of the players I get matched up against probably wouldn't be able to consistently punish it. I'm curious how higher level players would handle it.
Only on a read when you start mixing it in the middle of strings, things like b1/s3/F3/1,2 are really hard to read/react if you aren't predictable.

It isn't a bad idea, especially to finishing a round (where I see this tech being really strong). But I prefer to use the bars with confirms.

Darth Mao

19. Frame data has many errors, always trust the calculator.

Mandolore1123

Only on a read when you start mixing it in the middle of strings, things like b1/s3/F3/1,2 are really hard to read/react if you aren't predictable.

It isn't a bad idea, especially to finishing a round (where I see this tech being really strong). But I prefer to use the bars with confirms.
Yeah lightning storm makes Raiden become a bit hungry for offensive bar, but (at least for my personal load out) you can still use fly cancels and B14 for other means of safety, and all the while fishing for the one hit confirm that takes opponents to the corner where they will die.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I’ve been using the little dot cloud and spark port to play an extremely lame zoning style to great success
Sweet. I was just thinking about what a loadout with Spark Port and without Storm Cell would look like. I couldn't decide between Rolling Thunder, Lightning Rod, or Quick Charge.

Mandolore1123

Sweet. I was just thinking about what a loadout with Spark Port and without Storm Cell would look like. I couldn't decide between Rolling Thunder, Lightning Rod, or Quick Charge.
You’d have to be SUPER confident at winning in the neutral many many times though. But I suppose a purely hit and run playstyle would work with quick charge. Just zip around and punish stuff with discharge lol

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
You’d have to be SUPER confident at winning in the neutral many many times though. But I suppose a purely hit and run playstyle would work with quick charge. Just zip around and punish stuff with discharge lol
I like to think of it as resistance training. It'd really force you to learn your fundamentals, that's for sure.

Mandolore1123

I like to think of it as resistance training. It'd really force you to learn your fundamentals, that's for sure.
I mean if you think about it teleport//quick charge is just a variation with Raiden's 2 best moves. It's going to be super taxing to play because your max damage is going to be like 20% for a bar (all unbreakable though). It will probably work for players who have really good fundamentals like you said though.