What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

Szkarad

( • )( • )ԅ(≖⌣≖ԅ)
How do you test that? I recorded Raiden doing d1 into 12 as fast as possible and I tried to mash d1 as SZ between d1 and 12 and I always succeed. Am I missing something?
Try not doing it as fast as possible but in a certain rhythm instead, it might get easier. Also after playing Kotal for a while (he relies on jailing a lot) I can tell you that connection matters a lot when you try to jail

Question how good is really v1? with the new patch? B12 to spark port is a nice mind game now when you have them conditioned for the throw. Also is it possible to connect standing 2 1 into anything besides electric fly? Also does v1 not have a conventional armour breaker like v2? Or did I miss something

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Question how good is really v1? with the new patch? B12 to spark port is a nice mind game now when you have them conditioned for the throw. Also is it possible to connect standing 2 1 into anything besides electric fly?
S21 doesn't connect to anything except fly. In the corner it's used to lower your combo damage by scaling everything at the benefit of slightly easier execution.
To be honest I don't think you'll get much from trying to confuse the opponent with the mixup between grab and teleport. Both are pretty unsafe.

S21 doesn't connect to anything except fly. In the corner it's used to lower your combo damage by scaling everything at the benefit of slightly easier execution.
To be honest I don't think you'll get much from trying to confuse the opponent with the mixup between grab and teleport. Both are pretty unsafe.
V2 feels quite more superior not only for electric charge punish, but also downforward 2 to keep your self safe if they block ur strings.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
V2 feels quite more superior not only for electric charge punish, but also downforward 2 to keep your self safe if they block ur strings.
Most of the time V2 is probably your best bet, but V1 can cover some of the more zoning heavy matchups where V2 struggles to get in/around projectiles. I think it's worth learning both.

V3 is for when you want to taunt someone by essentially tying one arm behind your back.

V3 is for when you want to taunt someone by essentially tying one arm behind your back.
did anyone actually watch ketchup and mustards new online series, massive strike? in week one, i think videogamezyo won the grand finals reset with truth and light (not saying its not broken, but hey, it happened).

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
did anyone actually watch ketchup and mustards new online series, massive strike? in week one, i think videogamezyo won the grand finals reset with truth and light (not saying its not broken, but hey, it happened).
I'm not sure on that one, it sounds like they may have just been goofing around with some of those picks and not taking things entirely seriously.

Mandolore1123

V2 is indeed best. You also get to enforce the strike/throw mix after B12 because of the new grab ender. It patches the holes in Raiden's base kits the best out of all 3 variations

Darth Mao

Your Tech is Mine! #buffRaiden
Ok my bad everyone. I just hopped on to test and I tested on 2 characters, Jacqui (Smallest hurt box in the game) and Johnny (one of if not the smallest male hurt box). With Johnny it works fine, but S1 does indeed whiff on Jacqui regardless of when you do D1/3. So I guess it only jails on males (so sorry for the misleading information). However, Raiden has 2 11f mids that jail off his pokes so there’s not much need to jail 12 either (At least off pokes)

So sorry for the confusion
d1 s1 only don't jail on Jacqui.

nodq

wicked
I dunno guys. Played Raiden Raijin a lot these days. He seems really good now, but also a lot of fun. The mind games are great with his new stuff. I really think his staggers are awesome. It is like every single button gives him +20 on hit. Ok I know more like +17 or +18 but anyway. The stuff you can do with it is crazy good.
I really enjoy him more than Kano currently.

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

I dunno guys. Played Raiden Raijin a lot these days. He seems really good now, but also a lot of fun. The mind games are great with his new stuff. I really think his staggers are awesome. It is like every single button gives him +20 on hit. Ok I know more like +17 or +18 but anyway. The stuff you can do with it is crazy good.
I really enjoy him more than Kano currently.
Raijin is definitely the go-to for most MUs because it patched the holes on Raiden’s kit the best. Maybe switch to TW for heavy zoning MUs. Idk what T&L does

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
I think it's just because it killed, but since it technically broke armor it gave him the KB.

That's what his armor break shouldve been all along

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
So Raiden has basically gotten an unreactable, high unblockable that he can tack on to his main mid string, does 9%, and gives corner carry and oki.

I love it please dont take it away

I'm sorry to ask, but would someone mind summarizing for me (or at least pointing me to) the info on the state of Raijin and TW post-patch? Like what are the important changes and the game plans now? I tried to sift through the stuff, but it's so much and it's all swirling in my head. Thanks much!

Mandolore1123

I watched patient impulse vs grr in the raiden shao matchup and PI was cancelling b12 into regular tp and it was amazing how difficult it was to read whether it was gonna end in 1+3 or regular tp. Ended up getting so many throws in due to the animation similarities I’m assuming.
But both options are super unsafe. Can’t you just neutral duck and D2 punish when you see Raiden on the other side? It would probably be better to use far teleport because then if you bait punishes you can use F4 to whiff punish.

Mandolore1123

I'm sorry to ask, but would someone mind summarizing for me (or at least pointing me to) the info on the state of Raijin and TW post-patch? Like what are the important changes and the game plans now? I tried to sift through the stuff, but it's so much and it's all swirling in my head. Thanks much!
Universal Changes:
  • Hit box fix to F1 (hits at match start distance now)
  • B12 now -8 from -9
  • F32 now mid --> overhead from mid --> mid with increased pushback on block (pushes you back to tip of D1 range)
  • B12 1+3 now a true high grab that hits crouch blocking opponents but can be neutral ducked and punished
  • B31 2+4 now comes out on block at -16 but push back leaves opponents unable to punish (2+4 does NOT come out if second hit of B31 is flawless blocked)
  • Increased push back on block on B2 (meaningless because it's still unsafe and many characters can easily punish)
  • BF1 projectile starts up at 27f from 28f, also -7 on block up from -11
  • BF1 AMP can be slightly delayed have has better recovery, and more importantly better advantage on block (can be plus in certain distances) and when used after strings and normals can allow Raiden to gain space for whiff punishing (link to thread: https://testyourmight.com/threads/using-raiden’s-bf1-after-strings-and-normals-and-some-s3-stuff.73163/), hit advantage increased to +35 from +31
Implications for Raijin
  • Strike/throw mix after B12 (either DF2 which is safe or 1+3 9% unsafe grab ender) but may be OS'd by flawless block (not tested)
  • New flawless block gap between B12 and DF2 (previously only B12, F4 and F2 had NO flawless block gaps when cancelling into DF2)
  • Better anti-zoning with BF1 (slightly because startup is still quite bad)
  • More options to Mix up off F3 (DB4, BF1, DF2, F32, stagger)
  • Summon lightning breaks armour and does increased damage --> each touch Raijin does can lead to unbreakable damage of around 25% for 1 bar (but summon lightning does NOT connect off B2 KB)
  • Summon lightning now starts up at 11f from 14f and has better hit box allowing for slightly better damage off certain routes and easier connecting from combos, certain strings (B31, 243) and D2 KB
Implications for TW
  • New potential mix ups off various teleports and the 1+3 grab ender. (not fully tested, since all options except far teleport are unsafe)
  • Storm cell now cannot be breakaway'd during the move, but does NOT break armour, and strings that launch opponents like B31 and 243 are still susceptible to breakaway when cancelled into storm cell
  • More mix ups from F3 (BF1, F32, stagger, teleports)
  • B12~storm cell now connects correctly on female characters (needs further testing)
This should be all but if I've missed something the others should be able to fill you in :)