What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

Darth Mao

Your Tech is Mine! #buffRaiden
Fellow Raiden players,I need help on Upgraded/Next Gen Jacqui matchup. I consider this fighter to be absolutely broken and cancer to fight,but I still feel like I am not doing enough. Can someone give me tips on how to fight her and what variation to go for Raijin or TW? Only thing I am capable of doing is making some insane reactions with uppercut to her fullscreen jump when I fight Upgraded or to duck her dash punch. Other than that,I am completely lost.
Discharge all day and be happy

ValeDJ

Noob
What I would love to see for T&L is for the Amp bf3 to be multi functional, so you could L2 amp for a defensive safe low that doesn't launch, or standard Amp for an unsafe overhead launcher.

Similarly, perhaps you could do the same with db4, so you could either L2 amp for a safe staff plant where Raiden teleports away from the opponent but leaves the bubble in tact, or you can just use a normal Amp for the standard staff plant.

T&L just needs something, because its never going to be used outside of just for shits and giggles.

What I would love to see for T&L is for the Amp bf3 to be multi functional, so you could L2 amp for a defensive safe low that doesn't launch, or standard Amp for an unsafe overhead launcher.

Similarly, perhaps you could do the same with db4, so you could either L2 amp for a safe staff plant where Raiden teleports away from the opponent but leaves the bubble in tact, or you can just use a normal Amp for the standard staff plant.

T&L just needs something, because its never going to be used outside of just for shits and giggles.
Those are interesting ideas, though I would just include a directional input with the amp to change it, like Shao Kahn's shoulder.

What I think T&L needs (other than a complete redesign) is to remove the duration of the rod plant and let players use the recall input to call the staff back to Raiden. The input already exists, but the duration of the move is already too short to do anything useful.
The drawback here is that Raiden would only be able to call the staff back manually outside of getting hit with FBs or KBs, which requires animation frames instead of allowing the staff to return on its own.

That said, I believe this change would actually allow v3 to do what seems like its intended purpose; keep away and setup.

I agree Jo Push needs significant changes as it already wasn't worth its 2 slots before getting nerfed and sure doesn't even come close to that value now. Let people appear close or far after amping on the other side, let people spend meter to make the staff plant itself into the ground as an alternate amp or something during its path.
Make it 1-slot. Add Lightning Storm to the variation (floating stance).

Let Lightning Storm's downward bolt strike interact with rod. There's plenty of cool ways to make these variation moves work.

Last edited:

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
How to genrally counter Kung Laos D3 mashing? For example D3 D3 F13 from him. Is there any reliable way of doing it?
Block and mash your counterpoke sooner. You have a 13 frame window to hit him with your next poke if he D3s, 15 if he tries F1. Take it to training mode and get the timing down. It's harder to do online and WiFi KL players will act like hot shit because their broke as internet won the game for them

Block and mash your counterpoke sooner. You have a 13 frame window to hit him with your next poke if he D3s, 15 if he tries F1. Take it to training mode and get the timing down. It's harder to do online and WiFi KL players will act like hot shit because their broke as internet won the game for them
If he tries F1 after D3 its 15 frame window,right? Am I gathering correctly?

You can also B12 into full combo players that like to press on block. Works wonders against mashers
Kung Lao mashed me to death D3 D3 into F13 so I took it to the lab and came to this realization as well. Its very good advice,I just need to adapt to the fact that I have to press B1 instantly,blockstun can be sort of confusing.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Kung Lao mashed me to death D3 D3 into F13 so I took it to the lab and came to this realization as well. Its very good advice,I just need to adapt to the fact that I have to press B1 instantly,blockstun can be sort of confusing.
Yeah. Variable block stun among moves is annoying, but Raiden is fortunate to have 2 11f mids to shove down their throat. You get the best of both worlds in Raijin. If they block it you reset neutral and if you hit them you hit confirm into 32%. Now Lao has to work his way in again and you can sit back and zone. Same thing with TW but you're more unsafe because you need to use fly cancels.

Guys is there a way to deal up-close with Sonya? Whats the counterplay to her B14 and B12? Is it all just guessing game or are there other ways to deal with her?

Mandolore1123

Guys is there a way to deal up-close with Sonya? Whats the counterplay to her B14 and B12? Is it all just guessing game or are there other ways to deal with her?
Iirc B14 and B12 is a 2f fuzzy so online it’s a guess. B1 is a high so you can try to poke but not sure if it jails from any of her pokes. She also has a mid she can enforce so poking is dangerous. Sonya is just an all around terrible MU for Raiden. Can out-damage, out-zone, has better pressure and mixups than Raiden

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I've had better success vs Sonya with Raiden(TW) by keeping my distance and teleporting and punishing whenever I can, but she's a tough matchup for him honestly. Up close is not fair well for him at all.

Keeping distance from Sonya as Raiden is giving Sonya all the control, though. Her fireball beats Raiden's every time.
Tp punishing her fireballs is basically Raiden's only real advantage.

Mandolore1123

Maybe there will be something interesting.
I investigate Truth & Light variation. It's trash for sure but it's kinda interesting. There's many flaws and semi-useful stuff which I have posted on Twitter
I think the fly punish video is great. While it’s certainly situational, it is good for all the Raiden mains to keep this at the back of their head to pull out when there’s an opportunity. Cheers :)

Mel0

Noob
Truth and Light may not be useless, but its definitely not as good as the others. My combos of Jo Push seem very inconsistent midscreen
Midscreen T&L combos are stringxxbf3 f4xxdb2 (bf3 for females) you could also setup AMP rod after f4. I think this variation needs to go under the microscope. Not saying that it's the best but there has to be some dirt hidden somewhere.

P.S love your stuff dink, hope you continue the grind with raiden

Inconsistent thing. You must check the altitude of your opponent otherwise it will spark to nowhere
Early rod for this kind of setup
or late rod which counts in a combo
the second setup is something that would make TnL interesting but i gave up on it after labbing for a while because it's extremely hard or even incosistent to get. i couldnt find any reliable normal to do it from.

MKF30

Props for those still trying to find some secret tech to Truth & Light, I've noticed past month or two more people are catching onto TW's tactics, they just duck under the last hit and counter you now. So stupid, still pisses me off how trash tier NRS made this character. SMH.

ElectricHat

#TruthAndLight
Props for those still trying to find some secret tech to Truth & Light, I've noticed past month or two more people are catching onto TW's tactics, they just duck under the last hit and counter you now. So stupid, still pisses me off how trash tier NRS made this character. SMH.
Are you talking about Jo-Push? There's mid-mid on amp

MKF30

Are you talking about Jo-Push? There's mid-mid on amp
Oh I'm sorry when I said TW=Thunder Wave. First variation, I mean SC after a D3, a lot of times people would block and Raiden can poke, but SC can be ducked and easily punished. But Jo-Push for T&L I hope gets buffed or has better hit boxes or something.