What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

JDM

Noob
I'd like NRS to change the B2 KB requirement. Right now you have to do back to back raw B2 no other attack input. I think it should be as long as no other attack made contact with the opponent. So I can do B2, whiff D3, B2.

I'd really like it to just be to hit B2 twice but you can do other attacks. As long as you successfully land two B2 in a row. So you could do B2, D3, B2 all hit and the second B2 is a KB. But if you do B2, B2(blocked), B2 that third B2 doesn't KB.
i kinda agree.

I'd like NRS to change the B2 KB requirement. Right now you have to do back to back raw B2 no other attack input. I think it should be as long as no other attack made contact with the opponent. So I can do B2, whiff D3, B2.

I'd really like it to just be to hit B2 twice but you can do other attacks. As long as you successfully land two B2 in a row. So you could do B2, D3, B2 all hit and the second B2 is a KB. But if you do B2, B2(blocked), B2 that third B2 doesn't KB.
Yea I was just thinking this especially for his teleport to not count as a move. That would make it a lot easier and would fit his design.

Cosmic Forge

Practice mode noob
Ok, that's weird. But Raiden's amplified Super Bolt (his b,f+3 leaping punch that replaces superman/electric fly) has a Krushing Blow AND a Brutality.

But oddly enough the way it works is if you fully charge it AND it lands as a kounter or punish.

The brutality is just landing Super Bolt as the last hit and amplify it, while holding down.

Last edited:
The brutality is just landing Super Bolt as the last hit and amplify it, while holding down.
I have yet to get this to work a single time. Also, the brutality Brutal Bolt has a bugged description, or it's got absurd conditions:
It's listed as a Super Bolt brutality, but the description says to use Lightning Bolt as the final hit after a mercy is performed.

Also, I still have no idea what Super Bolt's purpose is supposed to be and nobody's talking about this move at all. Does anyone understand it?

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I see a lot of people ragging on the b2 krushing blow and honestly I think its great. You can dash right after it and its an easy meaty for one. It also totally dominates your opponents mindspace as you can get 50% off it for free anywhere on screen for 1 bar, so of course they wanna block high, which means you can just go for your low(safe too) starter into full combo.

Then of course comes baiting up 3's which is easy enough with a neutral jump too after the forward dash after you b2. I dunno, I think its incredibly solid. You force your foe into the freakout position after a b2 anywhere on screen and its mad easy to make them crack.

Cosmic Forge

Practice mode noob
I have yet to get this to work a single time. Also, the brutality Brutal Bolt has a bugged description, or it's got absurd conditions:
It's listed as a Super Bolt brutality, but the description says to use Lightning Bolt as the final hit after a mercy is performed.

Also, I still have no idea what Super Bolt's purpose is supposed to be and nobody's talking about this move at all. Does anyone understand it?
I've had the AI controlling Raiden in towers do Brutal Bolt and it definitely was not used after a mercy. I've never even see the AI controlled character do a mercy. Unfortunately I was unable to save the video replay of it happening. Here's PND doing it I guess in versus.

Do brutals work like fatals in that they can be done even though they aren't officially unlocked yet?

Super Bolt I have no idea either. It does like 350 dmg as a KB amplified though, but it seems rather hard to combo with. It's slower than superman and doesn't hit as low to the ground.

I can't get super bolt or brutal bolt brutalities to work in vs based on their descriptions, so there's def something wrong with the in-game tips.

Last edited:

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I see a lot of people ragging on the b2 krushing blow and honestly I think its great. You can dash right after it and its an easy meaty for one. It also totally dominates your opponents mindspace as you can get 50% off it for free anywhere on screen for 1 bar, so of course they wanna block high, which means you can just go for your low(safe too) starter into full combo.

Then of course comes baiting up 3's which is easy enough with a neutral jump too after the forward dash after you b2. I dunno, I think its incredibly solid. You force your foe into the freakout position after a b2 anywhere on screen and its mad easy to make them crack.
I get that. I just think you should be able to whiff something and still get it at least. Supposedly you can't even teleport. Just seems like such an odd tight restriction in the game.

But really though, how often we gonna get fullscreen fly for the KB?

Last edited:

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta

I think you underestimate how react-able b2 is even in the oki situation. I'd rather fuzzy low to high on that move and take the risk of my skills of blocking it and getting my own punish. Plus... i'm DEF not going to get hit by it two times in a row. Not when it is super telegraphed and I can delay my wakeup to mess with the meatiness of it.

Raiden does need KB changes. Considering his better tourney variation only has the b2 to create a large combo (that is unique to him).
I think 121 should be changed to mimic other charcaters "must be done in a 6 hit combo" type.
Then it woudl be the "ender" to be done when you know the opponent has less than 2 defensive bars.

thats my opinion.

raiden is totally fine to me right now, in both variations. only thing that needs to be evaluated imo is if db3 amp in raijin should launch, at least for a little combo. changing the b2 requirements would seem logical at first but it would be totally op on the 2nd look, cause the damage is so ridiculous that you basically get a free low opening.

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
I think you underestimate how react-able b2 is even in the oki situation. I'd rather fuzzy low to high on that move and take the risk of my skills of blocking it and getting my own punish.
Since the Overhead/low mixup is the first hit of the respective strings, if you think your opponent is fuzzying, you can just use a delayed b31 to catch them trying to fuzzy the overhead.

Cosmic Forge

Practice mode noob
I've landed the 1,2,1 KB easily enough. It's a jab punish anyways, so even if your timing isn't the best, you have flexibility in timing it. I usually "waste" it on the more obvious punishes, like blocking a teleport or a charge move of some kind.

Btw, there's a time limit on the B2 KB. Even if you do nothing between B2's, if you don't do the 2nd one soon enough it won't trigger.

Cosmic Forge

Practice mode noob
What's strange is the amplified electric kurrent used to pop up the opponent for a combo. You can see it in K&M's Choose Your Destiny: Raiden video at the 9:25 mark
They definitely messed with the tweak_var's on Raiden's movelist before launch. PND even refers to the amplify as f+4 instead of R1?

I'm hoping they just made a QC error on a number of move properties and fix them soon.

What's strange is the amplified electric kurrent used to pop up the opponent for a combo. You can see it in K&M's Choose Your Destiny: Raiden video at the 9:25 mark
yeah the whole thing looks like it was intended to but then nerfed. raijin is strong though, im just saying the meta needs to be watched to see if he needs it.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I think you underestimate how react-able b2 is even in the oki situation. I'd rather fuzzy low to high on that move and take the risk of my skills of blocking it and getting my own punish. Plus... i'm DEF not going to get hit by it two times in a row. Not when it is super telegraphed and I can delay my wakeup to mess with the meatiness of it.
20f isn't really reactable, especially since the game has 4 frames of input delay. Assuming you are on a 1ms delay monitor that still puts the OH at 16 effective frames to react to, which is on the edge of human reaction time. Now factor in you after the first b2, dash up, immediately have to see low/oh/throw and you tell me you can react to all that? naw son.

There is a 3f difference between b2 and b3, so I guess you technically could fuzzy, but in practice almost nobody actually will, that's more theory crafting than anything else. Plus you can just delay either one to boot, plus the throw mix.

Threat of b2 KB is is goooood. You get 1 b2 in, then no matter where you are on screen you do the dash and the threat of the 2nd b2 is now what the game is about for a hot second.

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
To add onto the b2 KB discussion, you don't have to hit BOTH raw, just the second one has to come immediately after the first.

You can end a combo with b2 to get the KB locked and loaded.
Using b2 on an airborne opponent, however, knocks them much further back so you would be surrendering your oki depending on your distance to the corner.

Hello good people,I really enjoy playing Raiden and I am new to fighting games and would like to learn,can you recommend me someone who plays Raiden well if there are people who actually do since its 4 days into official release of the game.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Hello good people,I really enjoy playing Raiden and I am new to fighting games and would like to learn,can you recommend me someone who plays Raiden well if there are people who actually do since its 4 days into official release of the game.
If you watch PND Mustard's ranked video he plays a pretty good Raiden player. I imagine those matches will be a good start, plus Ketchup and Mustard's channel has always been great for information and learning. :)

Cosmic Forge

Practice mode noob
In addition to the PND clip shown, there's a Russian player on twitch who's pretty decent with Raiden but I can't find his channel right now. I'll post his channel when i find it.

Here's footage of Raiden's double-fist attack hitting on both sides. It's the 2nd hit of b+3,1 "The Calm". This hits all the time when the opponent forward rolls through Raiden to the other side.

In addition to the PND clip shown, there's a Russian player on twitch who's pretty decent with Raiden but I can't find his channel right now. I'll post his channel when i find it.
Are you speaking of Serious_Hitman? He streams on Twitch. He’s used Raiden in MKX, INJ2 and now for MK11. He’s fun to watch.