What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

so outside of his bnb combo, what is my general gameplan? zone them with the lightning? its really slow and i get punished alot if i use the lightning, or the normal < > square one
what do i do when i get rushed down, like they pressure the hell out of me?
i feel like every combo starter is so slow and unsafe, that i just get f*** all the time.
what string do i need to know besides a bnb combo?
aside from his great pokes, f3 is his main close/mid range anti oppression tool. throw it out when they get close or after a poke and mix f32 and f3-throw.

Cosmic Forge

Practice mode noob
Probably known already, but Raiden has a brutality with his b,f+1 straight bolt. Just had it happen in AI battles but I couldn't manage to save the replay. I'll try to replicate it shortly.

Is there a consistent way to deal with crossovers? I would try but I'm on PC and the game consistently crashes when I try to record AI lol . Off the top of my head I'm thinking far sparkport just to get out of the situation

i dont agree at all - and i'm also raiden main since mk1 :D . raiden is a really strong defensive character, you just need the right strategy. i feel what youre saying though, i had my moments when i thought he outright sucks. but i stuck around (got the game since thursday) and got the hang of things, now i think he can compete on par with everyone - hes just different, and i want him to stay like that. also, the defensive style suits his personality well as its not so actively agressive.
What's your take on Super Bolt? I realize you probably haven't used anything outside of ranked variations, but I'm really puzzled as to what this move's purpose is.
Since it replaces fly, it seems to lose far more than is gained by equipping it and exchanges out for a situational KB.

It looks really cool, that's about it.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
I do it the same as Kung Laos back throw. As soon as I throw out the grab and see it actually grabbed I alternate mashing 1 and 2 until it comes out

Cosmic Forge

Practice mode noob
If you beat Raiden's final character tower, you can go back in again for 50,000 coins and it officially unlocks the brutality I mentioned earlier, "Brutal Bolt". Gonna do this asap so i can stop trying to figure out the conditions in vs mode.

Raiden got buffed and thats good, i was about to drop him yesterday even when im a raiden player since the 90s, but i still think he is low tier after the buff.

I got the chance to play raiden a lot since a got the DVD earlier than most of you here and thats some of the things that bothered me in general about raiden.
  • his mixups are average, other characters have better MU than him.
  • his range is average too, the biggest range on his strings is the F112, it has some range but be carful of that F1 it might whiff.
  • his projectiles are below average, he is not a zoner at all. most of his projectiles are +20 on start up, you might get punished on the DF2 even on mid range.
  • most of this load out abilities are trash, most are unsafe and u will get FCP on block except for stormcell which is -3 on block, it is punishable but im not going to say how bcoz non raiden players are reading too :) , some loadouts just replaces the abilities that raiden already has and do nothing differently so its just a waste of spot.
  • you cant teleport easily off of b11 or F4 or f2, i manage to make it work but non consistently by pressing "B11 DDDU", yes i press down arrow three times then up after the B11, i do F4 DDU as well (two downs then up), BTW: F2 (High) is useless when u have f4 (MID) and F4 has little more range.
these are the things that bother me the most about Raiden.

in general.. Raiden is an iconic MK character and has been in the game from the beginning, his gameplay and character power doesn't reflect were he should be as a Thunder God or a protecter of earthrealm, this raiden as in MKX and Injustice 2 is weak once again!
Raiden the DEMI GOD is low tier and Cassie & Jackie the mortal teenagers and the new comers to MK are high tier! that doesnt fit the common sense .

if you really want to know how powerful Raiden should be in MK11, go grab a high voltage copper cable and see what happens then ask yourself what would it feel to be struck by a lighting bolt from a "THUNDER GOD".
I completely agree man. Raiden keeps getting disrespected in each game. He's moves feel so uninspired. Granted they looked cool in the trailers, they just lack a punch and utility. Compared to someone like Geras who has a ton of safe strings, high damage, and great utility on his specials. Raiden just feels like he's missing something. His projectile moves don't really suit his playstyle imo. He should be a punisher but at least allow him to do big damage when he gets you. It would make sense for him to have more Krushing Blows.

He's still solid and fun to play as, I just wish he had more options. It's still early tho so tons of tech left be discovered!

Cosmic Forge

Practice mode noob
I'm wondering if there are any Krushing Blows with Lightning Storm. Or any brutalities even. So far that stance doesn't have a lot of utility either other than corner combo flashiness. I wish he had more moves from the stance, like being able to teleport to the other side or do his superman straight from the move.

It would be great if we could collect facts instead of saying that x is high tier and y is low tier without stating why. Better than loling around through space and time lolz. The out of jail fast fall breakaway hurts his and other characters' combo potential and i think that grapplers will benefit from that. Teleport and his f4 are still great, so idk how i would rank him atm. Every character and tournament variation has some questionable stuff and decisions atm

JDM

Noob
so outside of his bnb combo, what is my general gameplan? zone them with the lightning? its really slow and i get punished alot if i use the lightning, or the normal < > square one
what do i do when i get rushed down, like they pressure the hell out of me?
i feel like every combo starter is so slow and unsafe, that i just get f*** all the time.
what string do i need to know besides a bnb combo?
Control space. You're not just throwing shit out like all the other NRS zoners previously. Your tools control the pace of the match very well. His f4 is a god tier whiff punishing mid. Seriously I don't think you guys realize how great that move is in this game. Some characters would kill for that move. His Sparkport is amazing as well.

F1 is another great whiffpunishing string as is B1 . He also has solid up close mixup game in b2 and b3. I have a feeling people on TYM are just short selling their characters right now cause they only played 1 or 2 and compared them to MKX characters. Raiden is very strong imo. However I also think Johnny is good and the Johnny forums are saying his trash tier lol.

samiorfali

Raiden Player since the 90s
Little Raiden tips:
After the grab throw micro walk then do a df2.

At corner use f32 and f3 grab, these r ur tools.

As i said before b11dddu for teleport, this is so important, as important as raiden run cancel in MKX. If u dnt know how to do it lab it.

Do Poke then stormcell like it is a combo, like poke then shoker in MKX.

Pressure tool: b31 bf3 cancel f4 d1 stormcell. Get that full combo going.

Storm cell is ur antiair, its a no fly zone over raiden. Dnt do simple uppercuts, go full combo damage.

Last edited:

JDM

Noob
It would be great if we could collect facts instead of saying that x is high tier and y is low tier without stating why. Better than loling around through space and time lolz. The out of jail fast fall breakaway hurts his and other characters' combo potential and i think that grapplers will benefit from that. Teleport and his f4 are still great, so idk how i would rank him atm. Every character and tournament variation has some questionable stuff and decisions atm
Honestly breakaway imo hurts Raiden only a little. He gets very good damage if they don't break, and if they choose to break, assuming you're doing the proper combo (don't end in electric fly if they have 2 defensive bars), they have to stand up to eat a legit 50/50. Several times if they don't block it.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Honestly breakaway imo hurts Raiden only a little. He gets very good damage if they don't break, and if they choose to break, assuming you're doing the proper combo (don't end in electric fly if they have 2 defensive bars), they have to stand up to eat a legit 50/50. Several times if they don't block it.
Is this why people say end with db2? Or is there some other ender

JDM

Noob
Little Raiden tips:
After the grab throw micro walk then do a bf2.

At corner use f32 and f3 grab, these r ur tools.

As i said before b11dddu for teleport, this is so important, as important as raiden run cancel in MKX. If u dnt know how to do it lab it.

Do Poke then stormcell like it is a combo, like poke then shoker in MKX.

Pressure tool: b31 bf3 cancel f4 d1 stormcell. Get that full combo going.

Storm cell is ur antiair, its a no fly zone over raiden. Dnt do simple uppercuts, go full combo damage.
f3 is -6, how are you conditioning people to getting thrown from that? I don't see how they are just ducking and mashing d1. Also your b12 dddU tip is nice, but in reality you're just cancelling into teleport too early. You need to wait for the B12 to connect then input down up, can't dial it in. No need for extra inputs though if it helps you that's fine.

poke into storm cell is nice I'm definitely going to start using that. However it is gimmicky since the third hit is a high, it's not able to be poked out of which is veryyyy nice. Also I like doing f4xxbf3 cancel into f4/f1/b3.

JDM

Noob
Is this why people say end with db2? Or is there some other ender
Not sure what people are doing. DB2 is bad though because massive whiff recovery (assuming you're talking about the storm cell variation, haven't tried the other one)

What I'm doing though is : f4 (or other starter not named b31)xx EX stormcell (this is your only risky part, assuming they're perfect they may be able to punish? But I don't think so. I can't fall out before the second hit, and after that you're + even after a dash if my little labbing is correct) j.2 f2xxst.121. If I'm right about the f4 storm cell being completely safe to breakaway punish which I think I am, Then this combo is always safe and will leave you rather + if they drop out at any time.

Off of B3 though It is possible for sub zero to breakaway and punish you with a d4. However It is EXTREMELY tight, and you basically have to do it on the very first hit of B3 when it launches you. so I'd say this has almost no chance of happening in a real match simply because of how perfect you have to be to do it, and you have to be willing to risk a breakaway on the very very first touch of his b3.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Not sure what people are doing. DB2 is bad though because massive whiff recovery (assuming you're talking about the storm cell variation, haven't tried the other one)

What I'm doing though is : f4 (or other starter not named b31)xx EX stormcell (this is your only risky part, assuming they're perfect they may be able to punish? But I don't think so. I can't fall out before the second hit, and after that you're + even after a dash if my little labbing is correct) j.2 f2xxst.121. If I'm right about the f4 storm cell being completely safe to breakaway punish which I think I am, Then this combo is always safe and will leave you rather + if they drop out at any time.

Off of B3 though It is possible for sub zero to breakaway and punish you with a d4. However It is EXTREMELY tight, and you basically have to do it on the very first hit of B3 when it launches you. so I'd say this has almost no chance of happening in a real match simply because of how perfect you have to be to do it, and you have to be willing to risk a breakaway on the very very first touch of his b3.
Is the link between f2 into 121 tight? Do I need to dash cancel it or something?

i think you can neutral duck and full combo punish Storm Cell from up close - its a guaranteed d2 krushing blow combo! i think it is also possible to dash and punish from sweep range. people will learn to do that so ending a string in db2 is a risky gimmick with good payoff though.

about b31: the 1 can be flawless blocked after normal blocking the b3, theres a tiny gap in it.