What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I've tried noob, kollector and have the same issue every time. Feel like it's never really my turn. It feels like his teleports are plus, when I try to jump them with a D1 my character faces the wrong direction for the D1 3/4 of the time.
Every poke on block feels it's still Raiden's turn with the backdash into normal meta
His D1 is -3 on block, and his low starter is 16 frames of startup. Storm Cell is extremely punishable. His In Front teleport has 18 frames of recovery.

I'd say just be a little more patient, and practice the timing of your pokes. Maybe duck into practice mode and check out his frames on block. He doesn't have much of a stagger game, or much of an overhead/low game. I think most of the time if you can just block it should eventually be your turn.

I've tried noob, kollector and have the same issue every time. Feel like it's never really my turn. It feels like his teleports are plus, when I try to jump them with a D1 my character faces the wrong direction for the D1 3/4 of the time.
Every poke on block feels it's still Raiden's turn with the backdash into normal meta
Kollector's 44 string is super annoying as Raiden. If you read a teleport just neutral jump and kick him in the face/start a combo.
His low starter string also has a flawless block gap, if you're into that.

Szkarad

( • )( • )ԅ(≖⌣≖ԅ)
Hi guys, after messing around in training I've found a somewhat reliable way to get the superman KB after aftermath. You need to slightly delay BF3.

Do you know any other ways to get it?

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Hi guys, after messing around in training I've found a somewhat reliable way to get the superman KB after aftermath. You need to slightly delay BF3.

Do you know any other ways to get it?
Someone posted this a while back. This is pre-patch but it's good knowledge for all Raiden players. Other ways to get fly KB involve spending 2 bars for not a whole lot more damage. Your way and just punishing projectiles raw would probably be the best ways to get it

Mandolore1123

Any tips against Spawn? I'm having a hard time dealing with his long-range normals
Not exactly a good MU at least for Raijin. He has very good normals that operate at the same range as we do, so we don't win at the neutral game. He zones us out with his superior fireball and his up-close game is pretty good too. He out damages us in V2. TW might do better but because it's inherently much more unsafe every mistake gets punished severely.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
Hi, do you know how to counter storm cell? Try it in practice mode, you need to duck without blocking at the very end since the last hit of it is a high
For sure. Used to be easy. But now it's basically a 50/50 and to me it doesn't make much sense to not take the throw string and eat 9% every time. I guess that's why I'm having trouble too, lol that's basically a 50/50 string now

Mandolore1123

For sure. Used to be easy. But now it's basically a 50/50 and to me it doesn't make much sense to not take the throw string and eat 9% every time. I guess that's why I'm having trouble too, lol that's basically a 50/50 string now
Risk/reward is in your favour. Raiden eats a full combo into oki every time you guess right but if you guess wrong you're only eating 9% or 26% storm cell combo into oki.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Are you talking about his B12 1+3 string?

Darth Mao

Your Tech is Mine! #buffRaiden
Not exactly a good MU at least for Raijin. He has very good normals that operate at the same range as we do, so we don't win at the neutral game. He zones us out with his superior fireball and his up-close game is pretty good too. He out damages us in V2. TW might do better but because it's inherently much more unsafe every mistake gets punished severely.
He out damages us in v1 too, it's so hard to deal with him 'cause we need to play very very clean. I'm trying v1 to gain more mobility, but it is still very difficult to force whiff against his long-range normals. Even looking for patterns it is still difficult to answer for the lack of a quick projectile.

Mandolore1123

He out damages us in v1 too, it's so hard to deal with him 'cause we need to play very very clean. I'm trying v1 to gain more mobility, but it is still very difficult to force whiff against his long-range normals. Even looking for patterns it is still difficult to answer for the lack of a quick projectile.
Sorry I should have clarified. Spawn only outdamages us in his second variation (the one with the charge), otherwise we win in the damage department. But every time he hits us he gets superb OKI and pressure either through the restand in V2 or through the various combo enders in V3 that always leave him at the perfect spacing. I haven't played enough against good spawn players with TW to help you with your specific situation, but in general we can D3 under his fireball and block the AMP to move in, probably use F11 and F4 for whiff punishing instead of B12. I can foresee that TW might have a pretty rough time because he has to burn through defence bar just to keep himself safe. Raijin does better at close range if you can navigate his projectiles. Hope this helped

Darth Mao

Sorry I should have clarified. Spawn only outdamages us in his second variation (the one with the charge), otherwise we win in the damage department. But every time he hits us he gets superb OKI and pressure either through the restand in V2 or through the various combo enders in V3 that always leave him at the perfect spacing. I haven't played enough against good spawn players with TW to help you with your specific situation, but in general we can D3 under his fireball and block the AMP to move in, probably use F11 and F4 for whiff punishing instead of B12. I can foresee that TW might have a pretty rough time because he has to burn through defence bar just to keep himself safe. Raijin does better at close range if you can navigate his projectiles. Hope this helped
I was considering Spawn's v2 too. My problem with f11 is that it's high (d2 KB), but i'm starting to use more to test. I'm still thinking about moving to Raijin, but it will be a struggle to deal with such strong zoning.

Mandolore1123

I was considering Spawn's v2 too. My problem with f11 is that it's high (d2 KB), but i'm starting to use more to test. I'm still thinking about moving to Raijin, but it will be a struggle to deal with such strong zoning.
At max distance I'm not sure if they can D2 through it, but I haven't tested yet. From experience on both ends of this move it's very hard to whiff punish because of the second hit. Have you used Raijin before? Spawn's zoning isn't that bad once you react to the fireball and D3. We can always recover in time to block the AMP (regardless of delay timing), and Spawn doesn't have a teleport to get out of the corner, so we can still walk him down. Once in the corner we can still Raiden him to death like every other character. Raijin also has the benefit of the armour break which is easy to pull off and gives guaranteed damage.
@Trustful_Whale plays both characters and is a better player than I am so can you give some input?

Darth Mao

At max distance I'm not sure if they can D2 through it, but I haven't tested yet. From experience on both ends of this move it's very hard to whiff punish because of the second hit. Have you used Raijin before? Spawn's zoning isn't that bad once you react to the fireball and D3. We can always recover in time to block the AMP (regardless of delay timing), and Spawn doesn't have a teleport to get out of the corner, so we can still walk him down. Once in the corner we can still Raiden him to death like every other character. Raijin also has the benefit of the armour break which is easy to pull off and gives guaranteed damage.
@Trustful_Whale plays both characters and is a better player than I am so can you give some input?
Oh, I already know about d3 as low profiling, Raiden can d4 too (I made a topic about it: https://testyourmight.com/threads/amplified-necro-blast-low-profiling.72903/#post-2624747 ). I switch to v1 as soon as the last patch came out, because it "Raiden" more then v2, but I'm very familiar with this variaton too. My only problem with Spawn's fireball is when I'm in 3/4-full screen range and my only option is walk-crouch without anything to contest but this is a matter of patience, so I can handle it because I'm already used to playing this type of game.

What really pisses me off is having to deal with the spacing (not to mention the need to play extremely clean or be punished severely while he can risk more and still safe with Ex Fireball).

Mandolore1123

Oh, I already know about d3 as low profiling, Raiden can d4 too (I made a topic about it: https://testyourmight.com/threads/amplified-necro-blast-low-profiling.72903/#post-2624747 ). I switch to v1 as soon as the last patch came out, because it "Raiden" more then v2, but I'm very familiar with this variaton too. My only problem with Spawn's fireball is when I'm in 3/4-full screen range and my only option is walk-crouch without anything to contest but this is a matter of patience, so I can handle it because I'm already used to playing this type of game.

What really pisses me off is having to deal with the spacing (not to mention the need to play extremely clean or be punished severely while he can risk more and still safe with Ex Fireball).
Yeah, it's definitely not a very good MU (like most of Raiden's MU in this game). I actually didn't know Raiden can D3 under the AMP fireball though. Is it consistent? Can we do it on reaction or is it just a guess wen Spawn will amp?

Darth Mao

Yeah, it's definitely not a very good MU (like most of Raiden's MU in this game). I actually didn't know Raiden can D3 under the AMP fireball though. Is it consistent? Can we do it on reaction or is it just a guess wen Spawn will amp?
Sadly it's pure guess due to delayed version

I've only played this matchup from the Spawn side against Mando's Raijin so I don't really know what more I can offer to this discussion tbh.
It's definitely a tough gig for Raiden whenever a character has longer buttons than him, but d4 should be pretty helpful in combating Spawn's s3 but I haven't really tested that specifically to see if the spacing is practical or not.

I actually didn't know Raiden can D3 under the AMP fireball though.
If I'm not mistaken, everyone but about 5 characters can d3 under it which is basically all the tall guys like Kotal, Spawn, Shao, etc.