What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Raiden - Summon Lightning now breaks armor, has 11 startup frames (down from 14), and has an increased hit region when the opponent is in a combo
that would be pretty nice, maybe it can actually be used more often mid screen combos.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
I feel dumb, but can you translate that into the actual inputs we are familiar with?
Uh. some hit box fixes, F32 now hits overhead, B311+3 probably comes out on block and hits mid, B12 grab ender is now a true grab, idk how to translate the actual block stun frames and stuff but yeah we go them buffs

Mandolore1123

We’ve also gotten more push back on block on a lot of moves so I’m curious as to how this will translate to gameplay.

Mandolore1123

I would have preferred BF1 to be even faster at like 25f but we’ll see how the other changes affect it first

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Cleaned up so I can understand it:

Raiden - Elder Fury (B12) now has 6 less recovery frames, 5 less blockstun frames, can now be Kombo Attack cancelled on block, and its cancel frame occurs 1 frame earlier
  • Raiden - Power Discharge (B12 1+3) now has 3 less startup frames, 1 more active frame, 4 less recovery frames on miss, and now hits as a throw
  • Raiden - Adjusted the hit regions of High Poke (F1), Divine Power (F11), and Sudden Energy (F112)
  • Raiden - The 2nd hit of Hammer Fists (B2) now has increased block pushback
  • Raiden - Heavy Storm (F2) now has 5 more blockstun frames with increased block pushback
  • Raiden - Adjusted the hit regions of Deadly Storm (321) and it now has 5 more blockstun frames
  • Raiden - The Calm (B31) can now be Kombo Attack cancelled on block or miss
  • Raiden - Might Of Mordulus (B31 2+4) now hits mid, has 1 more recovery frame, 5 more blockstun frames with increased block pushback, and has a different grounded hit reaction
  • Raiden - Massive Destruction (F32) now hits overhead and has increased block pushback
  • Raiden - Lightning Bolt now has 27 startup frames (down from 28), 5 more blockstun frames with increased block pushback, 2 more recovery frames on hit, 1 more recovery frames on block, 2 less recovery frames on miss and increased the window for the cancel into Amplify
  • Raiden - Lightning Bolt Amplify now has 1 less startup frame and has 5 more blockstun frames with increased block pushback
  • Raiden - The first 2 hits of Storm Cell no longer allow opponent to Breakaway
  • Raiden - Electric Fly can no longer be parried
  • Raiden - Electric Fly Amplify Krushing Blow travel distance requirement slightly reduced
  • Raiden - Summon Lightning now breaks armor, has 11 startup frames (down from 14), and has an increased hit region when the opponent is in a combo
  • Raiden - The initial hit of Lightning Rod now does 70 damage (up from 50) and lightning projectiles now do 40 damage (up from 30)
  • Raiden - Fixed a rare issue that could cause Super Bolt to lose trades against certain attacks

so does thunder wave not have an armor breaker? looks like it. oh and i really appreciate the buffs on f1. the rest might even make me a bit ashamed, f32 overhead is a bit lol. i have not checked the other chars buffs though. oh and jo push was fine all the way it seems.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Lotta interesting stuff. A lot of universal buffs to his base kit it seems. T&L is likely still worthless, but oh well.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
so does thunder wave not have an armor breaker? looks like it. oh and i really appreciate the buffs on f1. the rest might even make me a bit ashamed, f32 overhead is a bit lol. i have not checked the other chars buffs though. oh and jo push was fine all the way it seems.
Looks like TW doesn't, although the opponent not getting to breakaway until after the first two hits from Storm Cell should still really help. I'm assuming he'd probably have enough time to simply D2 or some other button to still get some damage, avoid punish, and be ready with a setup since the opponent has no defensive options.

JontyHar23

Never Stop Improving
Looks like TW doesn't, although the opponent not getting to breakaway until after the first two hits from Storm Cell should still really help. I'm assuming he'd probably have enough time to simply D2 or some other button to still get some damage, avoid punish, and be ready with a setup since the opponent has no defensive options. Of course, this is situational and they’re still free to break out after that, but this still could be pretty helpful.
It looks like you may even be able to amp storm cell to keep them from being able to break out. Potentially, you might be able to spend another bar on another amp’d storm cell to force unbreakable damage if you catch them grounded.

JontyHar23

Never Stop Improving
We’ve got plus frames on blocked f2 and better plus frames on his 3,2,1 string. You can now also do b3,1 into summon lightning and catch females for meterless damage. At least, I consistently got it to work on D’vorah.

Anyone notice that B12 1+3 doesnt work on 95% of cast? They are crouch blocking and 1+3 just whiffs. Anyone care to tell NRS to fix this shit

Szkarad

( • )( • )ԅ(≖⌣≖ԅ)
Hmmm Lightning bolt (the zoning move) seems to have a better hitbox now? It's not mentioned in the notes but I remember it having some blindspots

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Anyone notice that B12 1+3 doesnt work on 95% of cast? They are crouch blocking and 1+3 just whiffs. Anyone care to tell NRS to fix this shit
What looks like happens is it can wiff if they blocked the initial b12 low. If they blocked it high, they can't just transition to blocking low and cause it to wiff on reaction to you doing b12. I got to work that way on about three characters I could also get it to wiff on so far, so I'm thinking that's just the thing about it

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
What looks like happens is it can wiff if they blocked the initial b12 low. If they blocked it high, they can't just transition to blocking low and cause it to wiff on reaction to you doing b12. I got to work that way on about three characters I could also get it to wiff on so far, so I'm thinking that's just the thing about it
I think they even said on the stream that the grab would whiff on blocking low.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Raiden - Might Of Mordulus (Away + Front Kick, Front Punch, Back Punch + Back Kick) now hits mid, has 1 more recovery frame, 5 more blockstun frames with increased block pushback, and has a different grounded hit reaction

Does anyone know what the different grounded hit reaction is?

Zviko

Noob
Storm Cell buff didn't help his B31 string. He can still get full combo punished because they can breakaway faster than Storm Cell comes out. Disappointed.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I think they even said on the stream that the grab would whiff on blocking low.
Makes me less concerned about the changes. It, its damage, and the fact that b12 is now safe-er made me think people would just do it until you they had you conditioned, and then start doing stormcell into damage. If you can mitigate it by blocking low that seems less oppressive and guess heavy. Probably end up seeing a few more b14, and b2's if you wall up into low blocking all the time.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Makes me less concerned about the changes. It, its damage, and the fact that b12 is now safe-er made me think people would just do it until you they had you conditioned, and then start doing stormcell into damage. If you can mitigate it by blocking low that seems less oppressive and guess heavy. Probably end up seeing a few more b14, and b2's if you wall up into low blocking all the time.
I think in a way it might create a mixup as to which string Raiden might use. F3 and B1 are both 11 frame mids. F32 now ends in an overhead, and I think is gapless, so if they're always blocking low Raiden could just use F32 for the hard knockdown.