What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
imo it would be more fun if every char had strenghts and weaknesses, would make the game way more tactical and intelligent. if everyone is op its just about who gets his shit going first and a lot of randomness.
Oh oF course, I'm just concerned about balance since that's what everyone is on with this game and of course NRS supporting this game a while. I think whatever works at this point to make the lower guys compete with the higher I'd be fine with whatever choice that is. Obviously everyone should have weaknesses and strengths but I feel some characters have more than the other right now which is the issue. But we have a lot of time left so NRS can still fix it.

Nevan_PTF

All your mains belong to me!
As a Raijin main, yes, Sonya is by far, one of, the worst match up. She has every tool to keep you out, out damages you and if you push her into the corner, she doesn't need to hang herself up to get out. She can stand her ground and side switch with BF2 and BF4(AMP).

Even if you block her rings she can amp them to create space and back you are to fight your way in.

Other than Sonya, I don't have problems against any other zoner, so far. Getting QC up, walking and block/ducking, works just fine.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
As a Raijin main, yes, Sonya is by far, one of, the worst match up. She has every tool to keep you out, out damages you and if you push her into the corner, she doesn't need to hang herself up to get out. She can stand her ground and side switch with BF2 and BF4(AMP).

Even if you block her rings she can amp them to create space and back you are to fight your way in.

Other than Sonya, I don't have problems against any other zoner, so far. Getting QC up, walking and block/ducking, works just fine.
Yeah she's annoying for Raiden, I have done well vs her with TW but only due to smart teleporting he's not going to outzone her but he can condition her from a far and bait her to do the rings and turrets that's when you teleport and punish her. I did this few weeks back then the damn update happened, was a great match and the Sonya player was so pissed he was yelling at me on the mic like "dude all you fucking do is turtle and run away from me!! stop doing that!!" lmao...like yeah, I'm dumb enough to get into a close up match with you when I can just bait you and counter you haha. I may still have it capped but not sure, I'll have to check. If I do I'll post it! I can imagine Raijin being near to impossible to get in on her.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Thunderwave 100% comeback set up. Hope it helps.
I'd call it a sequence more than a setup. It's a nice potential comeback scenario, but it kind of relies on a perfect storm of things going your way:

• D2 KB - Combo
  • B2 (Unsafe, multiple ways to be beaten on wakeup)
  • B2 KB (Unsafe, multiple ways to be beaten on wakeup)
  • Fatal Blow
For starters, you'd need to still have your D2 and B2 KB, and still have your FB. There's also plenty of times where the opponent could simply break out of the combo, and potentially punish to win the match. Or if they simply block correctly on either of the B2's, or pick a decent wakeup option.

It's certainly good to have that sequence as a potential comeback in the back of your mind while playing, so thanks for putting it together. Unfortunately I have a hard time seeing this play out too often in a real match.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Loses to wake up u3 and delay wake ups.
U lose 43 damage and it's only +25 I think. But like someone earlier said it's just not knowing the Raiden MU.
Gimmicky I suppose but I do find ppl mash everytime the first time they see it. Then the low/oh starter add a layer of mind games when they realize they must block.

Usually use it to set up a comeback as seen above. Then switch it up once I've shown them the b2 set up to reopen them for the low starter. I also go for the grab after they've seen both prior options.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I have never thought Lord Raiden would ever be the most active character thread. I might give TW another go.
I'd suggest learning both TW and Raijin, they can compliment each other's harder matchups nicely. Also check out the Updated Combo thread, it should be fairly up to date with the combos and some quick notes on the character.

I'd call it a sequence more than a setup. It's a nice potential comeback scenario, but it kind of relies on a perfect storm of things going your way:

• D2 KB - Combo
  • B2 (Unsafe, multiple ways to be beaten on wakeup)
  • B2 KB (Unsafe, multiple ways to be beaten on wakeup)
  • Fatal Blow
For starters, you'd need to still have your D2 and B2 KB, and still have your FB. There's also plenty of times where the opponent could simply break out of the combo, and potentially punish to win the match. Or if they simply block correctly on either of the B2's, or pick a decent wakeup option.

It's certainly good to have that sequence as a potential comeback in the back of your mind while playing, so thanks for putting it together. Unfortunately I have a hard time seeing this play out too often in a real match.
If I remeber correctly both KB animations restart the start up time for meter to refill and they dont fill a whole bar from zero that entire sequence. I hit that alot actually.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
For some reason I thought this was already mentioned in the Updated Combo thread, but I'm not sure. Nice potential option to explore. I'll add it to the Updated Combo Thread.

@Mandolore1123 @Trustful_Whale Do one of you two know the relative risk/safety of this setup? Also, is it worth it to go for this setup over going with the BF3 corner carry?
Not sure. To be honest if you're close enough to the corner it's always better to go for fly. If you're trying to switch sides with your back to the corner then doing starter~DB2 AMP, DU, JI3~fly is better damage iirc and you are still +23. If you're mid screen and really want to end next to them it's fine, but at the same time regular teleport after grounded fly still leaves you at ~+3 (33hit advantage - 1f startup -29f recovery) and right next to them and your pokes will beat opponent's U2 or mash. TW can full combo punish projectiles on read anyways so idk if ending combos close to Raiden is such an imperative for TW

Mandolore1123

If I remeber correctly both KB animations restart the start up time for meter to refill and they dont fill a whole bar from zero that entire sequence. I hit that alot actually.
But they just have to guess right once and you die. D2 KB is already pretty risky especially when people can just walk up and full combo you with a mid. Not to mention you're getting not one but 2 B2s raw.

Mandolore1123

I'd suggest learning both TW and Raijin, they can compliment each other's harder matchups nicely. Also check out the Updated Combo thread, it should be fairly up to date with the combos and some quick notes on the character.
Nothing's changed really, just anything with jump kick does less damage, so ending stuff with JI2, F4~BF3 might be more appealing if you want more hit advantage even though you get less damage since the damage difference is smaller.

But they just have to guess right once and you die. D2 KB is already pretty risky especially when people can just walk up and full combo you with a mid. Not to mention you're getting not one but 2 B2s raw.
If I'm in fatal blow territory and there on a flawless I literally have nothing to lose BUT risk it all I would say.

Not sure. To be honest if you're close enough to the corner it's always better to go for fly. If you're trying to switch sides with your back to the corner then doing starter~DB2 AMP, DU, JI3~fly is better damage iirc and you are still +23. If you're mid screen and really want to end next to them it's fine, but at the same time regular teleport after grounded fly still leaves you at ~+3 (33hit advantage - 1f startup -29f recovery) and right next to them and your pokes will beat opponent's U2 or mash. TW can full combo punish projectiles on read anyways so idk if ending combos close to Raiden is such an imperative for TW
I teleport on hard knock downs like 121 121kb f32 closer to+40 as TP on +33 mean you have to be a robot to teleport on 1st possible frame

Mandolore1123

If I'm in fatal blow territory and there on a flawless I literally have nothing to lose BUT risk it all I would say.
True. It's all reads and guesses and risk/reward. I'm just saying that it's the same for them. One right guess is all it takes to end you just as it takes to end them in this context

Zviko

Noob
I don't think I'll ever play Raijin tbh. I'd rather pick someone else for those matchups than play Raiden with no tp or electric fly. I need my klassic moves. :D