What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

JeffX

Remove armor on fatal blows now
I thought 16bit used to actually be decent at fighting games. How can he be testing all these variations out and not feed back to NRS that they're complete rubbish.
Yeah, there's literally no right way to play this new one. You have no way to make yourself safe.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
There are other changes I cant do the prepatch combos in 3rd variation, now max i can do midscreen is 265 damage

b12 JoPush MB f4 db2 - 265 for 1 bar midscreen and side switch

Before patch i could do f2 12 superman or db2 for around 300

He has no superman it means we lost corner carry and midscreen its constant side switching.
Also there are no air combos like after b2 KB u cant jump kick superman its all bad this variation is even worse then I predicted!!!!

Thank You NRS!!!!
Wow, you know I've been busy today and chilling. I messed around with those moves via kustomization other day seemed like shit. Apparently, this has not changed so he loses Superman and Teleport in 3rd variation....yeah not sounding good at all. I will stick with Thunder Wave still.
I'd like someone from NRS to even tell me what Raiden's style is besides shit.

Bad zoner, bad buttons, bad hitboxes, useless moves.

What was he intended to be?

From now on his name is James Remar.
That's a funny yet accurate analogy. Raiden MK 9 and MK X was MK 1 movie and beginning of MK Annihilation. MK 11 Raiden is second half Annihilation Raiden weak AF..... I'm officially convinced NRS went into MK 11 with the mindset to screw Raiden over bad which is ironic given the fact that he's arguably the most powerful or one of the most in MKU.

Marlow

Noob
I think the concept for the 3rd variation is interesting, but it just doesn't work in practice. Putting the opponent in the bubble has such a low payoff. Way to short, just doesn't seem to lock down the opponent at all. I'll give it some time, but first pass it sure looks like his other variations are simply better choices.

JJParker

Noob
I thought 16bit used to actually be decent at fighting games. How can she be testing all these variations out and not feed back to NRS that they're complete rubbish.

I posted this earlier. Can someone tell me why it was deleted please?

Last edited:
I thought 16bit used to actually be decent at fighting games. How can he be testing all these variations out and not feed back to NRS that they're complete rubbish.

You used the wrong pronoun for Stephanie, would be my guess.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.

I dont think he's played professionally in a while, or if has hasn't placed high. I've watched every streamed match of every major since launch and haven't seen him make a deep run. Was on commentary once, wasn't one of the the better commentators. Maybe the enthusiasm for it just isn't there anymore?

I'm done with this character I can't do it to myself anymore. I just want to play a character where everything isn't an uphill battle and where every patch update doesn't get weaker in comparison to others.

Nobody uses Raiden, everyone knows he's dog tier and yet still we get treated like this. I found the NRS employee who is making these decisions:

This is my last post in the Raiden subforum, GG and see you in the other character forums.

Wizanski

Buff Raiden
This 3rd variation is probably Ed Boon's greatest troll yet! NRS are trolling us right now aren't they guys? They have to be??!!

ValeDJ

Noob
Gotta say, I'm just going to agree with what everyone thinks about this variation...this 3rd variation is turd. It's null and void. I tried to get on with it, then I just looked at the other variations given out, and I just couldn't even find a single thing worth liking about it.

I would even say Kano's 3rd variation is better than TW now. (Knee Jerk?!)

On paper, the 3rd variation looked interesting, but in reality, you're gaining the rod, to then not use the rod, when you need to use the rod.

The damage from the thunder strike amplified on hit is a 12% move, with the rod out, its 18%...it's good...but then the opponent knows what you're doing, so that just becomes a chip game.

The time the rod is on screen is pretty stupid too. Without amplifying the rod, I think the rod is on screen for approx 3 seconds. I got confused at first, by using the rod as a combo ender, then it disappeared...I had no idea it went behind the opponent, so I tried to Jo Push and then nothing...got blown up. That's more me being naive than anything else.

Taking away teleport and Superman cancels, this variation feels so rushed to the point nobody will fool for the rod being out unless you're fullscreen projectiling to get a tiny bit more chip...

The ability to recall the rod is pointless, unless it had properties to that of Nightwolf's tomahawk recall, or gave you some minor plus frames for pressure. Hell, it would even be decent if you could amplify Thunder Strike on block if you had the rod out.

You take away Storm Cell and a (hard to get anyway) Superman KB, and the reward is an inferior combo starter leading to less damage...with the ability to not use Jo Push if you have the rod out.

I just don't know what's going on. I know one character has to be at the bottom of a tier list, but my god, its painful to see Raiden get nothing but nerfs from launch day.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Raiden has officially become the worst in the game preaty much as predicted. NRS says that they have an "algorithm" which is a big part of deciding who gets buff and who doesnt. They want us to belive there watching, there is zero Way they are. No used him before no one will now complete waste of a character slot

rainuS

Prince of Edenia
I dont get why they replaced superman they could just change the input for JoPush and leave superman alone, at last we would have some corner carry. Its like scorpion without spear or teleport. Why they made teleport a slot move like it used to be in MKX?

Cetrion being a zoner has teleport in all her variations, far teleport even teleport in the air!
Scorpion, Noob also and their Teleports launches also can do tele in the air.

Raiden teleport is 2 slots move its an absurd.
Teleport and Superman should be his basics moves.

Raiden has officially become the worst in the game preaty much as predicted. NRS says that they have an "algorithm" which is a big part of deciding who gets buff and who doesnt. They want us to belive there watching, there is zero Way they are. No used him before no one will now complete waste of a character slot
Second game in a row he has appeared in where he can essentially take that honor. At this point, it must be intentional. Which is odd considering he is basically a mascot for the entire series along with Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

Marlow

Noob
I wouldn't mind losing Electric Fly and having less mid screen combo damage if the lightening rod was actually decent, and could actually lead to strong pressure and setups. But again, there's just so little reward to doing an amped Rod it makes the whole thing pointless. I still think TW and Raijin are ok, but this third variation is a real head scratcher.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
I haven't seen any yet, but his b2 KB got its damage reduced by 8 I think.
Those are the patch notes for Raiden:

Raiden - Added the Kompetitive Mode preset "Truth and Light" which has the following Abilities - Jo Push (2) and Lightning Rod (1)

· Raiden - Jo Push ability now replaces Electric Fly instead of Lightning Bolt

· Raiden - Jo Push starts up in 20 frames (was 19), has 2 more active frames, hit region adjusted, recovery adjusted and is no longer considered a projectile

· Raiden - Jo Push Amplified now starts up in 16 frames (was 24), hit reaction changed, recovery increased by 3 frames

· Raiden - Fixed an issue with Super Bolt Krushing Blow being possible multiple times in a match under certain circumstances

· Raiden - Electric Burst no longer interacts with projectile parries or reflects

https://www.reddit.com/r/MortalKombat/comments/dbmngs

Marlow

Noob
Hopefully this patch is just a "3rd Variation" patch, and they come out with a proper balance patch in the next few weeks.

Marlow

Noob
That really should have happened with this patch. A thorough balance pass should have happened on this.
Agreed, but maybe they just wanted a chance to give the 3rd variations a chance to settle, so that way if in a couple weeks they needed to tweak some things they could roll it out with the rest of the balance patch.