What's new

Lord Raiden Custom Variations Thread

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Hmm, there is actually some potential here, more than i initially gave credit. Will do some testing once the PC patch arrives.
There is a huge gap though. You have to hold it all the way to make it safe, not a frame too early, and if you cancel you're -20 up close. It does give you a safe way to brute force your way in, and if you go over something like Noob's low slide you will trigger the KB for juicy damage

Slymind

Noob
There is a huge gap though. You have to hold it all the way to make it safe, not a frame too early, and if you cancel you're -20 up close. It does give you a safe way to brute force your way in, and if you go over something like Noob's low slide you will trigger the KB for juicy damage
What i really liked is the storm cell synergy for corner carry and combo extender, charging it in the neutral feels too risky, although you can fake out with the cancel, overall it while it's not the best move ever, it seems to have a reason to exist.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
What i really liked is the storm cell synergy for corner carry and combo extender, charging it in the neutral feels too risky, although you can fake out with the cancel, overall it while it's not the best move ever, it seems to have a reason to exist.
@Mandolore1123 had posted a Reddit link where they talked about the different custom moves, and on the Reddit page it was suggested that you could use Super Bolt as a meaty. That way if they decide to do a wakeup attack you can clip them for the juicy KB, if they forward roll you can cancel, and if they wakeup and block you're safe. Not sure if it actually works that way, but I could see some potential there.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
For some reason I thought in the Kombat Kast they had said that you didn't need to charge Super Bolt fully to make it safe. Oh well. I didn't even think about combo ability off of it, that's pretty cool.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Anyone have any thoughts on a build that could incorporate Lightning Rod? I know it's not great, but I want to try and find a way to make that move work, even if it's top ceiling potential isn't there. I'm thinking of a couple options to try:

1. Teleport + Lightning Rod

This would give up a lot of combo damage since Raiden would lose all of his special cancelable launchers. However, he'd retain his mobility, he'd still have access to his Summon Lightning anti air/armor breaker. And the nice thing is that when he'd put the opponent in the amped bubble, he'd have the ability to teleport in. Often times I feel like Raiden's problem with the Rod is that setting it up usually means losing a turn, so the opponent can just sit in the bubble and throw a few projectiles Raiden's way, and Raiden simply has to respect that and can't even get off a Lightning Strike or Lightning Bolt. With the teleport though, he'd be able to counter that zoning and potentially land a punish.

2. Lightning Rod + Storm Cell + Lightning Storm

This would let Raiden keep some simple Storm Cell combo ability, keep his projectiles, give him some wakeup pressure with the Lightning Storm. My only issue would be if you have things like Storm Cell and Lightning Storm you're probably already using the meter for those two moves, so you're really not going to use much for setting up Raiden's Electric bubble.

3. Lightning Rod + Lightning Storm + Rolling Thunder

This variation would again lose out on a lot of combo ability, but gain some safe harrassment and space control with Lightning Storm, and also let Raiden potentially use an Amped Lightning Rod to lock the opponent in place, and then Rolling Thunder for some DOT.

Any thoughts?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
If anyone has a good idea for a build that involves Super Bolt, that would be fun too. Seems like Super Bolt and Storm Cell go hand in hand pretty well. I'm thinking either:

1. Storm Cell - Super Bolt - Lightning Rod

or

2. Storm Cell - Super Bolt - Lightning Storm

I'm thinking for me personally I might roll with #2 above, and then also have a Lightning Rod/Teleport build if I feel like playing for more setup/hit & run zoning, and then also keep Raijin around just for a change of pace or variety.

Mandolore1123

Anyone have any thoughts on a build that could incorporate Lightning Rod? I know it's not great, but I want to try and find a way to make that move work, even if it's top ceiling potential isn't there. I'm thinking of a couple options to try:

1. Teleport + Lightning Rod

This would give up a lot of combo damage since Raiden would lose all of his special cancelable launchers. However, he'd retain his mobility, he'd still have access to his Summon Lightning anti air/armor breaker. And the nice thing is that when he'd put the opponent in the amped bubble, he'd have the ability to teleport in. Often times I feel like Raiden's problem with the Rod is that setting it up usually means losing a turn, so the opponent can just sit in the bubble and throw a few projectiles Raiden's way, and Raiden simply has to respect that and can't even get off a Lightning Strike or Lightning Bolt. With the teleport though, he'd be able to counter that zoning and potentially land a punish.

2. Lightning Rod + Storm Cell + Lightning Storm

This would let Raiden keep some simple Storm Cell combo ability, keep his projectiles, give him some wakeup pressure with the Lightning Storm. My only issue would be if you have things like Storm Cell and Lightning Storm you're probably already using the meter for those two moves, so you're really not going to use much for setting up Raiden's Electric bubble.

3. Lightning Rod + Lightning Storm + Rolling Thunder

This variation would again lose out on a lot of combo ability, but gain some safe harrassment and space control with Lightning Storm, and also let Raiden potentially use an Amped Lightning Rod to lock the opponent in place, and then Rolling Thunder for some DOT.

Any thoughts?
While I'm no expert on lightning storm, you can definitely go for some sneaky raw stomps if you've conditioned people to respect the AMP in order to save meter. I think all 3 will work. I'm working on putting up a video of some matches I had earlier today. Various characters used but my opponent was using a Raiden load out of storm cell//rolling thunder//super bolt. Rolling thunder can be used from full screen just to bait stuff from your opponent, and storm cell is just good for any damage from hit confirms, and you get super bolt for the albeit debatable safety. Course the zoning this load out affords is honestly lacklustre at best but it might still be worth looking into.

Mandolore1123

If anyone has a good idea for a build that involves Super Bolt, that would be fun too. Seems like Super Bolt and Storm Cell go hand in hand pretty well. I'm thinking either:

1. Storm Cell - Super Bolt - Lightning Rod

or

2. Storm Cell - Super Bolt - Lightning Storm

I'm thinking for me personally I might roll with #2 above, and then also have a Lightning Rod/Teleport build if I feel like playing for more setup/hit & run zoning, and then also keep Raijin around just for a change of pace or variety.
IMO Raijin will have a place in really niche MUs like against Geras if they are really good at winning the up close game and you need the spacing afforded by electric burst. We'll definitely need more time to experiment and test against all manner of characters. I was admittedly quite salty when I first saw the patch, but the universal buffs do greatly benefit Raiden and if my testing on float is legit then it's definitely still useable as a move, just not as amazing as we would have hoped, though I suppose that is the story of Raiden in MK11 :(

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I think I'm most disappointed that Lightning Rod wasn't really adjusted. Just adding an extra 1-2 seconds for that move would have really helped.

Mandolore1123

I think I'm most disappointed that Lightning Rod wasn't really adjusted. Just adding an extra 1-2 seconds for that move would have really helped.
I think B31 being a way to setup the rod is good. I can definitely see you whiff punishing pokes (easier now because of the increased recovery) and taking that into a rod setup. Idk how the interactions go with breakaway though. I‘ve been much of a setup guy so my ability to test these moves is limited. I really hope they look into prolonging the duration, since right now the DD4 input to recall the rod is still very much useless

Sticking wit Thunder Wave

all these other cobinations are downgrades
Exactly. I am literally more stoked for B14 change and for jailing than anything else. If people seek creativity with Thunder God you at wrong place bruh because you are literally making it harder for yourself to win and have fun.

okhuskerfan

PSN: B1G-Husker
I think the time it's out is in a decent spot. What I hate, is how they didn't allow it to string. Like b12, db4amp, b12, bf3amp, f4, db2... or something like that.

okhuskerfan

PSN: B1G-Husker
His 3 tourney variations, are basically his best variations. Was really hoping they would at least make jo staff 1 slot so we could turn Truth and Light into something cool with that extra 1 slot.

wookie

Noob
My proposition of the builds which I haven't seen in this thread are:
  1. Stormcell, Quick charge, Lighting Rod
  2. Stormcell, Quick Charge, Super Bolt
These build were tested by me pre-patch and in my opition they works very well. With patch I was also able to lab the Super Bolt move, because I was very interested to this one. It looks promising, however I have already tested it whiffs completetly on some crouching block characters like Rain, Mileena, Jacqui... :( disappointed, specially that they showed this move as an example during kombat kast. Guess, if they tested it on Shao Kahn and it worked, there is no reason to test in on other characters :D

wookie

Noob
Sad but true...
Also, is it only my impression that whatever custom move you choose, in the end it's just B12 mind games?
B12 into custom move or throw. Of course I'm making a generalisation beacuse each move has its own properties, but it's mine feeling for now.