What's new

Looks like we are rebooting the series (next MK game teaser trailer)

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
One other thing: I don't think NRS is being controlled by the "woke mob" or trying to be too "PC". Those are mostly just buzzwords designed to short circuit real discussion. I think they're genuinely trying to make a better product, which includes trying to make better characters and more compelling stories.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I wouldn't outright say they're being controlled, but they definitely do change stuff to look better in the eyes of the public based on public opinion, usually the 'woke' crowd, so that they won't get called all kinds of phobics. And that's the reality for pretty much everything in the public eye these days. Like when they changed Johnny's circle game thing in the gear customization menu because of a 4chan troll making people believe it was nazi symbols. Like you gotta be some kind of stupid to believe that shit, and then change it in your game. :coffee:

They're scared of what people think of them, and when you change your views, thoughts, work, based on fear you just end up looking dumb.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
They're scared of what people think of them, and when you change your views, thoughts, work, based on fear you just end up looking dumb.
I'd say then that the distinction I'd make is that to me it doesn't seem like they're making changes based on fear. To me it seems more like they're trying to make changes based on feedback, and trying to get the game to align with what they want it to be.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Messing with the gore would be messing with the game's primary identity. The nature of the gore might change, and might swing back and forth from campy over the top to gross out over the top, but hard to picture an MK without it being present in some form or another.

Overall I thought the characters in MK11 were much better done than MK9, especially the female characters. There was a notable attempt to actually build real characters and not just flimsy pinup girl material like in MK9.

That being said, they probably went a bit too far in turning down the sexiness to 0, so there's room to dial it back the other way a bit.
^This. At the end of the day, I overall don't care if they go with a character style from Mortal Kombat (2011) or Mortal Kombat 11, I'm more interested in the gameplay. Having said that, I do prefer Mortal Kombat 11 simply because all the characters looked so much more realistic. The only skin in the entire game I didn't really care for is Skarlet's default Multiplayer Skin.

I'd say then that the distinction I'd make is that to me it doesn't seem like they're making changes based on fear. To me it seems more like they're trying to make changes based on feedback, and trying to get the game to align with what they want it to be.
As someone who works in media, I can say this is most likely the case. Changes are made based on feedback as well as trends, not fear. The world is a different place now than it was over a decade ago in many ways, for better and worse.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Speaking of gore, I absolutely loved the kombat kode in mk9 where everyone bled rainbow colors and would love to have it back. As a matter of fact, I'd like kombat kodes being back in general. And also for different characters to bleed different colored blood again (not just spawn and d'vorah). I loved how Reptile, Noob, Cyborgs (and in some games, Shokans) all had a unique blood color, it kinda adds a little flavor to the game.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
As someone who works in media, I can say this is most likely the case. Changes are made based on feedback as well as trends, not fear. The world is a different place now than it was over a decade ago in many ways, for better and worse.
Changing based on trends sounds like changing based on fear to me. Afraid to go against the trends if you will

Benlo

PrayforSareena
I remember the cool and sexy (but not that much) gears of Black Canary in the Injustice 2 beta, then NRS just added blacks parts for no reason in the launch version (you can clearly see it on her "top" gears).

So MK11 was definitely not their first try.
MKX was very good, in my opinion, about that. Beautiful, sexy, elegant, and far from the stripper outfits.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I remember the cool and sexy (but not that much) gears of Black Canary in the Injustice 2 beta, then NRS just added blacks parts for no reason in the launch version (you can clearly see it on her "top" gears).

So MK11 was definitely not their first try.
MKX was very good, in my opinion, about that. Beautiful, sexy, elegant, and far from the stripper outfits.
Indeed! Lots of great skins in MKX.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
One other thing: I don't think NRS is being controlled by the "woke mob".
'Controlled' is a strong word, but they DO seem to try and cater to them. I don't know if they think of themselves as woke, or if they're trying to appease the woke, but there is certainly an attempt to be politically correct.

Thankfully, it doesn't seem to be to the point of being damaging to the brand. Kung Jin being a homosexual never felt forced to me, nor was it ever the selling point of the character - which is the RIGHT way to do it. Minorities are not treated better or worse from the 'vanilla' white characters, which is again, the RIGHT way to do it. In terms of characterization, I don't see any major expressions of wokeness, other than the occasional blunder of having one of your biggest villains quote a former (divisive) president of the United States.

Story wise, one could argue that Kitana defeating Shao Kahn was woke, but others may just say that it was the end journey of her arc (which was accelerated because the IP was going into RESET mode and they needed to finish lose ends as quick as possible, even though they fuck it all up in Aftermath and have Shao Kahn thrash her once again, making you go 'what was the fucking point'?

In general, I felt a little wokeness in MK11, but not to the point it hampered my enjoyment of the game. I loved it. Hopefully, they'll keep the characters being treated with more or less the same amount of respect, and maybe tune up a little the sexiness of the ladies. No, I'm not talking strippers, I just don't see a need to have a body type belonging to an anorexic teen.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
No, because they may very well agree with the trends. Or they believe the trends will generate better sales. There's many other reasons besides "fear."
I mean, to be fair I do agree that they probably also change based on trends to sell to a wider audience, but changes that are specifically related to clothing choices, or like the circle game change for Johnny, that's 100% based on fear of looking bad and being shit on, which they don't want. It depends what the change is.

I mean, to be fair I do agree that they probably also change based on trends to sell to a wider audience, but changes that are specifically related to clothing choices, or like the circle game change for Johnny, that's 100% based on fear of looking bad and being shit on, which they don't want. It depends what the change is.
The circle change, "A-okay" circle, you mean? If that was in and took out, that would be fear motivated.

I'm talking specifically re: character/costume design. While anything is possible, I'd be very, very surprised if that's fear motivated.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
The circle change, "A-okay" circle, you mean? If that was in and took out, that would be fear motivated.

I'm talking specifically re: character/costume design. While anything is possible, I'd be very, very surprised if that's fear motivated.
Maybe they think it's the right thing to do, for women's clothing I mean, but from a woman's perspective, it seems extremely self-righteous to me. And like I said previously, no woman would fight in heels (apart from Mileena lmao), because it's not battle appropriate, and yet all the ladies have heels and wedges in MK11, except for Cass and Sonya lmao. And I wouldn't care at all if they didn't preach the whole 'appropriate battle attire for women' stuff. Cause at the end of the day, it's a game. As long as characters look cool kicking ass, I really don't care if they want to wear 10 inch heels or not, or use toilet paper to hide their naughty bits.

Maybe they think it's the right thing to do, for women's clothing I mean, but from a woman's perspective, it seems extremely self-righteous to me. And like I said previously, no woman would fight in heels (apart from Mileena lmao), because it's not battle appropriate, and yet all the ladies have heels and wedges in MK11, except for Cass and Sonya lmao. And I wouldn't care at all if they didn't preach the whole 'appropriate battle attire for women' stuff. Cause at the end of the day, it's a game. As long as characters look cool kicking ass, I really don't care if they want to wear 10 inch heels or not, or use toilet paper to hide their naughty bits.
I've heard different women weigh in differently on the topic, again, this is really all about personal preference. My fiancee, for example, finds the costume design of female characters in Mortal Kombat (2011) hilarious, and she really likes the style from Mortal Kombat 11. She doesn't hate the MK9 ones, mind you, but found them silly.

No one should be fighting in heels though, we all know that's just silly. You ever see Kerrigan in StarCraft II? Her "evolving" high heels with her carapace made no sense at all, but it's there.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
No one should be fighting in heels though, we all know that's just silly. You ever see Kerrigan in StarCraft II? Her "evolving" high heels with her carapace made no sense at all, but it's there.
Because they believed high heels = femme fatale

It makes zero sense, but a lot of things don't in fiction. At the end of the day, we all have different values and standards concerning suspension of disbelief. I say, if the artist wants to do it like that, let them. The problem starts where people complain/bully the artist into change on social media.

Because once you bow to their whims, they know they have you, and can keep taking a mile for every inch you give.

Hogwarts Legacy proved those people are all bark and no bite. The faster developers and publishers realize those people aren't the paying customers, the better for the industry.

At any rate, I'm going off topic so I'll stop it here.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Absolutely agree. And this also applies to costume design and letting the artist create "realistic" characters as opposed to "sexy" characters.
I know where you are getting at. I get it. However, the 'problem' is that we don't know if that was what they wanted to do, or what they thought they should do to appease the social media warriors.

I just think it's a little weird that you do what you do in MK9 and do a complete 180' 6 years later and that it is COMPLETELY your own decision.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I know where you are getting at. I get it. However, the 'problem' is that we don't know if that was what they wanted to do, or what they thought they should do to appease the social media warriors.

I just think it's a little weird that you do what you do in MK9 and do a complete 180' 6 years later and that it is COMPLETELY your own decision.
Times change, and people/culture evolve.