What's new

Looks like we are rebooting the series (next MK game teaser trailer)

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
One other thing: I don't think NRS is being controlled by the "woke mob" or trying to be too "PC". Those are mostly just buzzwords designed to short circuit real discussion. I think they're genuinely trying to make a better product, which includes trying to make better characters and more compelling stories.
Thank god I missed this conversation, but I just want to say you hit the nail on the head. I mentally check out when I hear buzzwords like that or how people think those ideas in film/games is a brand new thing. Could you imagine if Star Wars came out today? The movie about beating up fascists would be the most woke movie ever made!

Anyways, I’m not going down that rabbit hole, I just wanted to say I agree :p

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I hope so too, but I'm doubtful. It's hard to please everyone, and there's always going to be that crowd of people who liked one particular game in the series best and have problems moving on. This is true with practically every single video game franchise.
Well sure, I am just hoping the haters will be a minority this time. MK11 managed to piss off quite a large part of the fanbase. I personally loved it, but I understand why many people hated a lot of its elements (gameplay, grind, etc.)

Well sure, I am just hoping the haters will be a minority this time. MK11 managed to piss off quite a large part of the fanbase. I personally loved it, but I understand why many people hated a lot of its elements (gameplay, grind, etc.)
Interestingly, I agree with a regular on the franchise's official Discord, where Mortal Kombat XL and Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate were polarizing in a way that was very reminicent of the split between Mortal Kombat II and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 back in the mid-90's.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
In the same boat here. I'm not a fan of fighting games where offense is tuned to loop into itself in a million ways and at a breakneck speed. MK9 was an ok inbetween where every character had dirt, but the game wasn't so insanely fast like MKX where one wrong step meant you were staring at your opponent playing the game solo for 20-30 seconds. I'd still prefer MK12 to be slower than MK9 but faster than MK11. The issue always lies in how to balance characters while still allowing them to do cool shit / have unique dirt to utilize.

As always, we'll just have to see how it goes. My #1 thing at this point is just wanting the game to not have ambitious ideas that are left to rot with no effort given to them cough custom variations cough

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
So about.... 23hrs before we get our next teaser that teases a tease of a teaser of a tease of a game that's teased.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Its probably a brand-new MK game. Skipping MK12 and starting a new game (hence the number 1).
Brand new MK ERA. And yeah, I think you're right on the money there. They probably feel MK games from now on aren't connected to the older entries in terms of canon and lore, so they might as well call it '1' to signify this is a NEW beginning, a NEW saga.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
wat, are we supposed to get a teaser tomorrow?
I'm going off the pattern the last couple weeks. The past two Wednesdays around 1pm EST they've dropped a trailer. So I would assume they're gonna continue the hype train up to the reveal.

I could be totally wrong though. I'm hoping it's not a fucking teaser though and they actually reveal a cg trailer with a gameplay reveal and release date scheduled for the showcase.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I'm going off the pattern the last couple weeks. The past two Wednesdays around 1pm EST they've dropped a trailer. So I would assume they're gonna continue the hype train up to the reveal.

I could be totally wrong though. I'm hoping it's not a fucking teaser though and they actually reveal a cg trailer with a gameplay reveal and release date scheduled for the showcase.
ohhhhhhhhh okay I didn't even notice that lmao. A cinematic trailer would be nice.

I'm gonna say ... 4 months from now.
That'd be pretty nifty. It'd be close to my b-day, and I know my financee is going to get me an Xbox gift card, which would go to the game.

That'd also let me get through the bulk (if not the entirety) of my backlog through the summer.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Supported platforms is what I’m currently most interested in. It will probably determine if I stay with PS4 or go with Xbox Series S.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Supported platforms is what I’m currently most interested in. It will probably determine if I stay with PS4 or go with Xbox Series S.
The S is pretty cool for the cost point. Like it miles more than my PS4Pro and runs MK11 very well though not sure about a new entry. I played the first SF6 beta on the S and thought it looked and played great. Then I played the 2nd beta and demo on PC and Series X. Going back to the S, the demo on S currently makes a lot of concessions and I think they may have had to dial stuff back for it since the beta but don't really know how to say for sure. In game is ok, but character select is shockingly low res. Betas didn't have a char select so, maybe it was always that way.

Not going to preform worse than a PS4 though, and has good load times and the super boss Quick Resume feature PS4's don't have

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Making the game for anything less than the current gen consoles and PC would be a huge mistake. It is time to put the PS4 in the trash. Stop gimping games to run on it. PS5, XboX or PC should be the only targets. Maybe after it has been out and a hit get a 3rd party developer to make a hand-held version for Switch and SteamDeck, and PS4.

Brand new MK ERA. And yeah, I think you're right on the money there. They probably feel MK games from now on aren't connected to the older entries in terms of canon and lore, so they might as well call it '1' to signify this is a NEW beginning, a NEW saga.
Maybe.. I think this is likely, but the "1" might not mean "mk1" it might mean "The 1st Mortal Kombat". Looping right to the start. Great Kung Loa... the very first MK between realms... not just doing MK1 reboot.... a prequel of sorts going through the first MK and the elder gods setting up the rules and all that.

This would be cool, but I am not sure it is happening as without some fuckery it would mean that only Radian, and a few other characters could be in the starting roster.

On the other hand... that could be a way to make DLC very apealing. Instead of making DLC about guests and unused retro things.. have the game set during thr 1st MK with a near entirely new cast, and then use DLC to bring in the classic characters.

That is what I would do if I was designing the next MK anyway.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Making the game for anything less than the current gen consoles and PC would be a huge mistake. It is time to put the PS4 in the trash. Stop gimping games to run on it. PS5, XboX or PC should be the only targets. Maybe after it has been out and a hit get a 3rd party developer to make a hand-held version for Switch and SteamDeck, and PS4.

Maybe.. I think this is likely, but the "1" might not mean "mk1" it might mean "The 1st Mortal Kombat". Looping right to the start. Great Kung Loa... the very first MK between realms... not just doing MK1 reboot.... a prequel of sorts going through the first MK and the elder gods setting up the rules and all that.

This would be cool, but I am not sure it is happening as without some fuckery it would mean that only Radian, and a few other characters could be in the starting roster.

On the other hand... that could be a way to make DLC very apealing. Instead of making DLC about guests and unused retro things.. have the game set during thr 1st MK with a near entirely new cast, and then use DLC to bring in the classic characters.

Don't know who this new Radian character is, but he sounds disappointing.

Afumba

Noob

If you were in NRSs/WBs shoes you most likely wouldnt make the game you discribed. Simply cuz you want to make as much money as possible and your idea is way to big of a risk for that goal. But also cuz you know their will be a sh..storm of raging ppls and bad publicity everywhere.

Man you will probably get fired just for suggesting it.