What's new

Match-up Discussion Lobo Matchup Discussion 2014

I played @Syknis the other day and he convinced me its 5-5. Or maybe he's just better than me and it is 6-4. But it didn't feel like it. Flash i think it's even but Bane.....uuuggghhh. This mu just sucks. His wakeup's are better. His oki is better. Armor. The Lucadore skin. He has the advantage I think.
@BiPolarExxpress @Wetdoba @Doombawkz @AK coolcmcgee @GGA Max . What do you guy's think about the Lobo mu?
from what ive played with pig and Goomba i think its 5-5

Syknis

King of the Kiddie Pool
I just played @Syknis and the games were incredibly close. I honestly think the match up is 5:5. Def not in lobo's favor. But it felt pretty even. CW matchup I feel can possibly be in cw's favor because you can't standing 3 her jump in and when she's crouching, sometimes you can't jump 2 cross up. I dunno really but I hate it.
Here's a question, what do you feel about doomsday matchup? I feel like I have no options, no oki, no nothing. Blocking earth shaker in the corner can only get you so far. Is he annoying for everyone?
We really have to develop the mu more. Explore all options. I don't want to stamp a number on it yet.

Captain Oxygen

The end of one combo is the beginning of another
I hate fighting dd also, I don't have too much exp v doomy tbh. He just mauls lobo and air snatch iz really good. The only real thing I know is to just knock him down and guess right between the two venoms for a punish

Captain Oxygen

We really have to develop the mu more. Explore all options. I don't want to stamp a number on it yet.
In your set did he fuzzy f1 mixups or get reversal punishes on ftd with trait gunshot? I know it was online so it may have been tough.
I made a post in theos mu thread about how I think lobo wins in most ranges. I played this mu a lot offline

Yoaks

A spaceman
Beating Doomsday is all about blocking Earth Shake (durr) and guessing right on his wakeup. Learning to stuff all his wakeup's except Up Venom, and punish with the most damage you can. This mu is definitely in Doomie's favor.

Decay

King of the Bill
In your set did he fuzzy f1 mixups or get reversal punishes on ftd with trait gunshot? I know it was online so it may have been tough.
I made a post in theos mu thread about how I think lobo wins in most ranges. I played this mu a lot offline
I blocked most of the mix ups but it's hard to get in on aquaman because he can do the overhead which hits pretty far and he's got a good jump 2 as well as down 2. I ended up having to spend a meter just to get in and not even guarantee damage. Also, nuke shell punish is good if you have them loaded but it's impossible to load them full screen. Safer to load them at the end of a combo but that all goes back to the first problem of getting in.

Syknis

King of the Kiddie Pool
He actually blocked the f1 mixups really well. But even offline people will take damage from the f1 mixups eventually. I knew about the the reversal gunshot so I didnt really use it unless he was full screen. I play digit a lot so I'm used to getting my whole life bar depleted on one knockdown lol so the importance of keeping your type of characters out is the key to the mu's. That being said I need to play a good lobo a butt load of games so I could see how you get passed aquas normals and space control. Gotta learn from each other.

Captain Oxygen

Honestly I spend most of the match up in hook charge/s3/low hook/czar toss range and play patiently til I score a knockdown.

I understand Its hard to get in in aqua but it feels heavily in advantage in that mid range where you can Antiair j2; catch dashes with hooks, and whiff punish with s3/specials.

Oh and his b2 is unsafe/highly negative. Giving you either a punish or the mixup from . A blocked rush

I wish I could play more online but online for me is impossible. ..

Syknis

King of the Kiddie Pool
Honestly I spend most of the match up in hook charge/s3/low hook/czar toss range and play patiently til I score a knockdown.

I understand Its hard to get in in aqua but it feels heavily in advantage in that mid range where you can Antiair j2; catch dashes with hooks, and whiff punish with s3/specials.

Oh and his b2 is unsafe/highly negative. Giving you either a punish or the mixup from . A blocked rush

I wish I could play more online but online for me is impossible. ..
I wish you were going to UFGT bro D:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Why do people mention me like I'm relevant?

We'll see at UFGT with Max's challenge, but since he plays against a hella good Lobo, I'll go off of his last recorded number and assume its a 5-5.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
People tell me lobos nuke shells are op vs bane but in debuff he has no reason to get hit with em full screen?
When Bane's in debuff people still let him chill at full screen? Lobo has to get in and cause some pressure that will make Bane either jump or dash to try to avoid a tick throw or whatever it may be, then nuke shell punish his escape, or actually confirm into dat Lobo damage.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
When Bane's in debuff people still let him chill at full screen? Lobo has to get in and cause some pressure that will make Bane either jump or dash to try to avoid a tick throw or whatever it may be, then nuke shell punish his escape, or actually confirm into dat Lobo damage.
If you're playing against a good bane... there is no way they are going to let you in on them. All you can hope for is that you back them into the corner. Your only real option is to hit them with nuke blasts (still a really good option). Lobo absolutely can NOT get in on a bane that's playing keep away. It's technically possible, but... go ahead and try it. All i've personally been successful with is faking them out and making them think I'm coming in balls deep to get them to jump around. This let's me just kind of chill and try to hit them out of the air with pump shots.

Last edited:
I played @Syknis the other day and he convinced me its 5-5. Or maybe he's just better than me and it is 6-4. But it didn't feel like it. Flash i think it's even but Bane.....uuuggghhh. This mu just sucks. His wakeup's are better. His oki is better. Armor. The Lucadore skin. He has the advantage I think.
@BiPolarExxpress @Wetdoba @Doombawkz @AK coolcmcgee @GGA Max . What do you guy's think about the Lobo mu?
I have no idea lol I never get to play it.

Espio

Kokomo
EDIT: Before someone shits on me, I haven't played a dedicated hawkgirl main to see if this matters at all in the matchup. I played Brad in a very short set against his Hawkgirl, who he plays on the side. So this could all mean nothing and the matchup can still be considered 5-5. But hey, optimism.
A lot of people can stuff her wake ups to be fair.

I don't see why that would make it losing. He needs to do more than that to beat her. He needs to seriously restrict her movement and he doesn't actually do that.

She gets to play her entire game versus him, hit and run, zone, pressure etc. She has zero problem getting in and applying pressure and can zone too. You get rewarded for a knockdown yes, but isn't that a core piece of his game? If he couldn't oki her or pressure her it would easily be in her favor. If I recall correctly she can also stuff a lot of his wake ups well too from a safe distance in some cases.

I'll buy even, but I don't buy it's in his favor and I've always offered to play the match up.

I tried the other night and I wanted to throw it lol.
You play cause you care though ;___;

<3

A lot of people can stuff her wake ups to be fair.

I don't see why that would make it losing. He needs to do more than that to beat her. He needs to seriously restrict her movement and he doesn't actually do that.

She gets to play her entire game versus him, hit and run, zone, pressure etc. She has zero problem getting in and applying pressure. You get rewarded for a knockdown yes, but isn't that the core of his game? If he couldn't oki her or pressure her it would easily be in her favor. If I recall correctly she can also stuff a lot of his wake ups well too from a safe distance in some cases.

I'll buy even, but I don't buy it's in his favor and I've always offered games as a Hawkgirl mainer.

You play cause you care though ;___;

<3

How do we fight doomsday? He's always on you restricting chances to trait up, and he bullies us instead of the other way around.
Doomsday is one of those matches where it's over after the first hit imo. The minute either character gets started on the other, you're either eating loads of damage (Lobo) or you're getting sent into the corner (DD).

Honestly, the way I play this matchup is by trying my damndest to keep him out and try to punish him to get a life lead/trait load. I use b12 a lot in this match-up to keep him still in that close-mid range. Once DD activates trait, I just try avoiding him at all costs. We don't have anything that runs his trait out like Green Lantern's minigun or Raven's F2222 on hit, so our options are: try blocking everything he does or run. One of the most important things about the Doomsday matchup for any character is establishing the mind game from D1 xx ES; that being, backdash before the ES. After the DD player sees that, he has to start making guesses like D1, dash forward/d1, sweep/d1 xx shoulder, and all of these options are unsafe/minus enough to allow reversal pressure. Once he has to guess on his offense, it's a bit easier to deal with him.

Despite all of this, I feel as though the matchup is in DD's favor. The main issue with this match-up is getting in and being able to do anything. DD is rushdown oriented, Lobo is also capable of rushdown, but has very poor defensive options. Trait shots are also pretty useless in the match-up, so keeping him out is very hard.

Random notes about the match-up: Learning how to stuff all his wakeups (except up shoulder) is key, obviously. You can only get trait out mid combo which is fine since DD isn't the only character like that. DD's corner reversal is null on Lobo, Hook Charge MB reacts weird in the scenario and allows him to get out of the corner/knockdown DD. It's hard to explain,, but try it out for yourself. It's kinda funny.

Last edited:
Lobo 6-4 Nightwing? SMH nahhhh 5-5
Smh is a great reason why it's 5-5. Nightwing can't wake up unless he wants to eat a NJ1 combo. We out damage him by a lot, and our footsie tools are better. Nightwing can't really limit lobo or keep him out unless he was hit with a ground pound. And he won't get a lot of opportunities to get started. Lobo can eat Nightwing alive and it's hard for Nightwing to get started. And you can't discredit this since I mainly play both characters, and played a bunch of high level nightwings.

Why do you think it's 5-5?
Doomsday is one of those matches where it's over after the first hit imo. The minute either character gets started on the other, you're either eating loads of damage (Lobo) or you're getting sent into the corner (DD).

Honestly, the way I play this matchup is by trying my damndest to keep him out and try to punish him to get a life lead/trait load. I use b12 a lot in this match-up to keep him still in that close-mid range. Once DD activates trait, I just try avoiding him at all costs. We don't have anything that runs his trait out like Green Lantern's minigun or Raven's F2222 on hit, so our options are: try blocking everything he does or run. One of the most important things about the Doomsday matchup for any character is establishing the mind game from D1 xx ES; that being, backdash before the ES. After the DD player sees that, he has to start making guesses like D1, dash forward/d1, sweep/d1 xx shoulder, and all of these options are unsafe/minus enough to allow reversal pressure. Once he has to guess on his offense, it's a bit easier to deal with him.

Random notes about the match-up: Learning how to stuff all his wakeups (except up shoulder) is key, obviously. DD's corner reversal is null on Lobo, Hook Charge MB reacts weird in the scenario and allows him to get out of the corner/knockdown DD. It's hard to explain,, but try it out for yourself. It's kinda funny.
The random note is when you MB Hook Charge, lobo swings his chain in the reverse while charges in the correct position.

What's out best option after backdash since ours kinda suck. When's the best time to reload since it's pretty hard to knock down a doomsday IMO.

@JustPressingButtons
In escrima yes our wake up sucks. But we out zone.
Much faster
Better punishing
Better "Safe" footsies
In escrima I can bully your wakeup just as bad you can bully mines.

I play @Yoaksssss and our matches our always even. Recently though I've been getting more wins.