What's new

Match-up Discussion Lobo Matchup Discussion 2014

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
decent/slight disadvantage, disadvantage, disadvantage

Sin can keep us out pretty well but it's very, VERY easy to abuse him on knockdown. Zod is downright painful because he shuts you down so hard with his trait and zoning. Wowo is just the classic case of rushdown vs space control character, the minute she's in, it's very hard getting out.
alright cool. I'm thinking of picking up lobo and wanted to see how he did vs NW's bad MU's.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I am also thinking of picking up Lobo.

How does he do vs...

Aquaman
Raven
Harley Quinn
Zod

alright cool. I'm thinking of picking up lobo and wanted to see how he did vs NW's bad MU's.
Vs Sinestro and Wonder Woman isn't bad the second we score a knockdown. They have to eat oki pressure when we knock them down. Zod I struggle in, but you have to learn how to roll under projectiles with dash. Wonder Woman goes to town if she's up close. It's intimidating, and I personally am still looking for options for certain situations.
I am also thinking of picking up Lobo.

How does he do vs...

Aquaman
Raven
Harley Quinn
Zod
Aquaman is fairly even. I don't go for 33/33/33 much, but it is an option. Stick with Standing 2~toss/low shot if you're going to tick throw because of what cage explained. Aquaman gets to play his game until he's knocked down, but when he goes down he has trouble getting up.

Raven is even too, but I have mixed feelings on both sides. We are able to dash pillar to soul crush frame trap and still be able to block but it's pretty hard to do consistently. Lobo has to work very hard to get in, and it's hard to be patient. But lobo goes on a field day on knockdown.

Harley I say is more in our favor. Her zoning isn't difficult to get by unlike raven, and when we get nuclear shells which we will obtain, makes life way harder for her. Her wake ups are limited, but I say to stay mid range to not deal with B2 or cartwheels. If Harley is up close, learn to fuzzy guard. Harley always is in risk, but she doesn't spend meter much.

Zod is hard, but isn't unwinnable. Oxy made the point that you have to learn to roll under air Zod balls, and other projectiles. For trait, you have to learn to fuzzy guard mix ups up close and it is see able. I personally struggle in the match up, and you can stuff Zods wake ups with B1. Do that too. Condition your opponent.

These are brief rundowns on how I believe how these matches go. Other Lobos might have differing opinions.

Yoaks

A spaceman
I think Zatanna is a harder match-up than we think. I'm also starting to think we lose too Arrow.

EDIT: Don't read into this post to heavily. I get emo when I get bodied.

Last edited:

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I think Zatanna is a harder match-up than we think. I'm also starting to think we lose too Arrow.
The thing I have the most problems with is arrow's wakeup savage blast. But you can space it right with mb pump shot.

But we can blow up wake up savage blast on read... lol. After a hook charge, dash forward and jump forward 1 to 3~special.

You can basically dash up nj1 all of his wakeups except for savage blast. Once he starts savage blasting on wakeup... just back up and let him try his stupid shit that does no damage and force him to try and get in on you. It's a little tough to get in on him, but not impossible. Our mb pump shot does more damage than any of his regular combos.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Yeah I think Zatanna is looking pretty rough for Lobo at the minute. Patience isn't really something that works that well as that allows her to just spam projectiles/tele away and build shit loads of meter in order to either continue spamming or vortex you. Lobo works off of knockdowns and Zatanna really shits on that aspect of his gameplan and the only thing hard for Zatanna is when Lobo gets inside his best range as her footsies suck balls.

Yoaks

A spaceman
Yeah I think Zatanna is looking pretty rough for Lobo at the minute. Patience isn't really something that works that well as that allows her to just spam projectiles/tele away and build shit loads of meter in order to either continue spamming or vortex you. Lobo works off of knockdowns and Zatanna really shits on that aspect of his gameplan and the only thing hard for Zatanna is when Lobo gets inside his best range as her footsies suck balls.
At worst its a 3-7. At best its 4-6. I'm going with the former.

EDIT: Don't listen too me. IR Scrub.

Last edited:

Yoaks

A spaceman
Whenever I hear people say the Zatanna mu sucks for Lobo, it makes me laugh because I'm almost sure both parties (the zat player and the lobo player) have no idea what either character does, because who the fuck plays lobo/zat

I'll try tagging some Zatanna mains to get their opinion on the matchup

@deg222 @EMPEROR_SunFire @Mr. Mileena
The fact that she takes away our are oki game already gives her an edge, the chip from her zoning is good along with it being tough too get around. I don't have Zatanna so I can't lab the character too figure out what I can punish. This mu sucks at the moment but hopefully it isn't. Won't be surprised if it is a horrible mu.

Last edited:
The fact that she takes away our are oki game already gives her an edge, the chip from her zoning is good along with it being tough too get around. I don't have Zatanna so I can't lab the character too figure out what I can punish. This mu suck at the moment but hopefully it isn't. Won't be surprised if it isn't a horrible mu.
Yeah, I played Guamo a few times online with his Zatanna and it wasn't an amazing experience. I can definitely see why this matchup could be bad, but I just found it funny considering both characters are super obscure and asking what zat does to lobo/what lobo does to zat for both players most likely ends with a shrug.

Yoaks

A spaceman
Yeah, I played Guamo a few times online with his Zatanna and it wasn't an amazing experience. I can definitely see why this matchup could be bad, but I just found it funny considering both characters are super obscure and asking what zat does to lobo/what lobo does to zat for both players most likely ends with a shrug.
I think mb Hook Chargeing in is a bad idea. Cause of tele of course. I want to start grinding this MU out. Maybe just holding on too meter for MB Shots for countering her zoning or doing some Bounce Cancel combos for the big damage.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Whenever I hear people say the Zatanna mu sucks for Lobo, it makes me laugh because I'm almost sure both parties (the zat player and the lobo player) have no idea what either character does, because who the fuck plays lobo/zat
I main Zatanna and play Lobo :(

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord

I'll try tagging some Zatanna mains to get their opinion on the matchup

@deg222 @EMPEROR_SunFire @Mr. Mileena
Yeah i used to think she won because i didn't know much about lobo :/ but it isn't free at all, I played JPB a while ago and it was pretty even, i think it might be in Zatanna's advantage but idk... Even if it's in Zat's advantage it's not better than 6-4 tho.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
How do you guys feel about blowing all of your meter in the first round for a kill?

I've been using this strategy lately when I'm on their first lifebar, where if I have 2/3 bars of meter I ALWAYS hitconfirm into mb b3 for huge damage and even sometimes go for the mb toss after totalling 3 bars. But this usually leads to 60-70%+ damage. And a lot of times when the opponent clashes, I often just keep all of my meter even if it means they gain 30%. 1 mb pump shot and we're back to where we were... or a 2/3 meter combo after they've clashed is once gain, 60-70%+

How do you guys play your meter game? Do you play conservatively? What's your clash philosophy?

I find myself always saving my meter for big combos and mb pump shot.

Captain Oxygen

The end of one combo is the beginning of another
I usually just burn dat bar tbh.
In taking the grey life off I do just burn all my meter desperately if they have a magic pixel or whatever. Sometimes I just do like 3 MB Hook Charges in a row to get the life bar. Lobo does so much damage that I don't usually spend meter on clash unless I really need to.

Yoaks

A spaceman
The thing I have the most problems with is arrow's wakeup savage blast. But you can space it right with mb pump shot.

But we can blow up wake up savage blast on read... lol. After a hook charge, dash forward and jump forward 1 to 3~special.

You can basically dash up nj1 all of his wakeups except for savage blast. Once he starts savage blasting on wakeup... just back up and let him try his stupid shit that does no damage and force him to try and get in on you. It's a little tough to get in on him, but not impossible. Our mb pump shot does more damage than any of his regular combos.
I think I might be playing this match-up a little too reckless as well. Yea patient play is what I should be doing. Sounds good on paper at-least.

Yoaks

A spaceman
How do you guys feel about blowing all of your meter in the first round for a kill?

I've been using this strategy lately when I'm on their first lifebar, where if I have 2/3 bars of meter I ALWAYS hitconfirm into mb b3 for huge damage and even sometimes go for the mb toss after totalling 3 bars. But this usually leads to 60-70%+ damage. And a lot of times when the opponent clashes, I often just keep all of my meter even if it means they gain 30%. 1 mb pump shot and we're back to where we were... or a 2/3 meter combo after they've clashed is once gain, 60-70%+

How do you guys play your meter game? Do you play conservatively? What's your clash philosophy?

I find myself always saving my meter for big combos and mb pump shot.
I was actually thinking about this earlier! Generally when I play the meter game I play it conservatively. But I'm gonna start using more meter within combo's. I've also been messing around with Bounce Canceling after standing 3. As far as I know it's only good when your opponent is on the ground, so I'm gonna mess around with this.