What's new

Tech - Cyber Sub-Zero Living List of B2 Punishable String Gaps: Defensive Options

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Cyber Sub-Zero can punish string gaps with his B2 overhead/backdash attack. I've posted a video example as a frame of reference. This was orignally brought to my attention by @SaltShaker and I felt that this tech deserves its own thread (much like the Unbreakable string gap punishing thread for Parry and EX Parrry). I will be updating this list as often as possible.

Cassie

B12 * 4

Goro

B12 * U2

Jacqui

233 * 4

Raiden

112 * 2 (might trade if not timed properly)
B112 * 2 (might trade if not timed properly)

Jason

F21+3

Tanya

Delayed Rekkas

Alien

Delayed Rekkas

Liu Kang

FBF4 (non buffed) * Parry

FBF4 (non buffed) * DB2

If Liu Kang is buffed, he'll be able to block safely, but a Drone Enhanced B2 will leave you +2

Sub-Zero

Any strings canceled into Parry

Smoke, Sektor, Cyber Sub, and Cyrax

B3U4 This move has a gap after the second hit. This is full combo punishable by the whole cast.

Also, just a heads up, you can actually punish Goros B12U2 with standing 1 for a full combo.

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
I'm sure Predator B22D2 will get blown up by this, it has a huge gap.

Also, just so everyone knows... B2 is literally PUNISHABLE, not just negative, unless he has a drone out (but then hes +2).

I didn't test smoke bombs yet, but that seems like the matchup specific tech I was exactly looking for in the other thread lol. I love this tech, and I love Cyber Sub, great stuff milkman.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
No it isn't? His combos are way harder, way more strict.

And less utility is very apparent. Cyrax has no reversal, divekick is a much better neutral tool than anything Cyrax has. Doesn't take much to see that.
Cyrax has F2 and F211, safe mids that CSZ doesn't have in any way, shape or form. Yea Dive Kick can be made safe but only with specific spacing and doesn't grant combos in the neutral.

Not to mention F2 and F21 can be made neutral on block at the cost of a meter and full combo on hit.

Cyrax does more mid-screen damage.

Cyrax has similar if not better set-ups than CSZ that includes an inescapable vortex to all characters without the need of reads.

Yea Cyrax has no non-wake-up armor, an inferior NJP and weaker mobility but god forbid he doesn't completely invalidate Cyber Sub.

JDM

Noob
Cyrax has F2 and F211, safe mids that CSZ doesn't have in any way, shape or form. Yea Dive Kick can be made safe but only with specific spacing and doesn't grant combos in the neutral.

Not to mention F2 and F21 can be made neutral on block at the cost of a meter and full combo on hit.

Cyrax does more mid-screen damage.

Cyrax has similar if not better set-ups than CSZ that includes an inescapable vortex to all characters without the need of reads.

Yea Cyrax has no non-wake-up armor, an inferior NJP and weaker mobility but god forbid he doesn't completely invalidate Cyber Sub.
-F2 mid string for CSZ is a full combo on hit with a drone, is it not? Idk the frame data but I'm pretty sure it's safe.
-F2 string with Cyrax is good, but the first two hits are unsafe into anything (can be armored through or punished on block, and the third hit can't be cancelled and is -2 on block. It's good obviously but mids are not his strong suit. Also his F2 can be low profiled.
-Dive kick doesn't need to grant combos to be good, lmao. Wtf. Also with a bomb out anywhere on the screen divekick gives a hard to blockable full combo on hit..
-Anything cancelled into ex bomb can be armored
-Yeah Cyrax does more damage
-Yeah Cyrax setups are better

He still has less utility and his neutral game is worse. That's all I was saying. They are both good. I thought cyrax was bad at first but after putting in a lot of work with him he's become my new main along with Preadtor.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
-F2 mid string for CSZ is a full combo on hit with a drone, is it not? Idk the frame data but I'm pretty sure it's safe.
-F2 string with Cyrax is good, but the first two hits are unsafe into anything (can be armored through or punished on block, and the third hit can't be cancelled and is -2 on block. It's good obviously but mids are not his strong suit. Also his F2 can be low profiled.
-Dive kick doesn't need to grant combos to be good, lmao. Wtf. Also with a bomb out anywhere on the screen divekick gives a hard to blockable full combo on hit..
-Anything cancelled into ex bomb can be armored
-Yeah Cyrax does more damage
-Yeah Cyrax setups are better

He still has less utility and his neutral game is worse. That's all I was saying. They are both good. I thought cyrax was bad at first but after putting in a lot of work with him he's become my new main along with Preadtor.
-You need to learn to use training mode. F2 is a high and it can't be enhanced with the drone. Do you even know how the move looks like?
-That's why I specifically said F2 and F21. I know F21 is unsafe which is why I also stated that it's cancellable to EX Chestsaw anyway
-"With a bomb out anywhere on the screen" I specifically said in the neutral. If you're dumb enough to let CSZ throw bombs at you in the neutral then IDK what to say.
-Why would you cancel into EX Bomb when you have EX Chestsaw?

So just because CSZ has a Divekick he automatically "has more utility"? A character who can't get anything started without risk has a better neutral game?

Last edited:

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Sun God/ Blood God Kotal testing ideas:
  • 114 xx whiff grab pressure, can b2 beat it @ +5?
  • b14 tic throw/ sun disc, can CSZ b2 punish tic throw/ confirm sun disc and cancel into slide?