What's new

General/Other - Liu Kang Liu Kang Dragon's Fire & Flame Fist General Discussion

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Picked up this character a few weeks ago and played around with Flame Fist and Dragons Fire.

Which one would be more beneficial to focus on in the long run?

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
Picked up this character a few weeks ago and played around with Flame Fist and Dragons Fire.

Which one would be more beneficial to focus on in the long run?
Well both are good in their own way. But i guess DF is the superior one and therefor should start focusing on that. Once u get the hang of it you can switch to FF.

SLH7671

When in doubt, armor out.
Hopefully I can get some relation to feels here. I have just been mitigated from using Liu Kang online altogether. He's a solid character, but online I've had nothing but bad results from him. Frequent hit box problems and the online latency has made my pressure game reduce to nothing. I can pick Jax and I can keep pressure no problem, his pressure is simplistic and seems to be consistent with me even during times of latency. His pressure games outside of dualist require a lot of finesse and it normally leads to me getting d3'd (new block/poke hybrid)

Hopefully I can get some relation to feels here. I have just been mitigated from using Liu Kang online altogether. He's a solid character, but online I've had nothing but bad results from him. Frequent hit box problems and the online latency has made my pressure game reduce to nothing. I can pick Jax and I can keep pressure no problem, his pressure is simplistic and seems to be consistent with me even during times of latency. His pressure games outside of dualist require a lot of finesse and it normally leads to me getting d3'd (new block/poke hybrid)
dude for sure! , liu is 100% an offline character . i agree completely .

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
I think the big difference between df and ff liu is that df has better pressure (using stamina) but ff has better comeback factor (using meter). He can melt health away like nothing with little effort.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Such as wp to buff into combos?
You can't link any strings from WP to the shaolin flame buff midscreen, even the EX version (which makes me wonder if NRS have somehow bugged the supposed bug fix, but that's another rant for another time),

Your combo-able options from it are as follows;

WP to meterless Flame Buff midscreen: Dragon Kick

EX WP to meterless Flame Buff midscreen: Dragon Kick

WP to meterless Flame Buff in corner: WP, Low Fireball (keeps standing and guarantees F1 check)

WP to EX Flame buff in corner: F1 combo (3 frame link), standing 1 combo (1 frame link)

EX WP to meterless flame buff in corner: Dragon's Roar, F12xxWP, High Fireball (if buff is already active, do a slightly delayed Dragon's Roar after the EX WP instead)

If you didn't already know about these, hopefully you'll get to see them and play around with them before tomorrow :p

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
You can't link any strings from WP to the shaolin flame buff midscreen, even the EX version (which makes me wonder if NRS have somehow bugged the supposed bug fix, but that's another rant for another time),

Your combo-able options from it are as follows;

WP to meterless Flame Buff midscreen: Dragon Kick

EX WP to meterless Flame Buff midscreen: Dragon Kick

WP to meterless Flame Buff in corner: WP, Low Fireball (keeps standing and guarantees F1 check)

WP to EX Flame buff in corner: F1 combo (3 frame link), standing 1 combo (1 frame link)

EX WP to meterless flame buff in corner: Dragon's Roar, F12xxWP, High Fireball (if buff is already active, do a slightly delayed Dragon's Roar after the EX WP instead)

If you didn't already know about these, hopefully you'll get to see them and play around with them before tomorrow :p
I'm not sure these actually work, aside from the corner ones. I've been trying but can barely get meterless shaolin flame to activate after windmill punch before the AI can block.

Last edited:

STRYKIE

I'm not sure these actually work, aside from the corner ones. I've been trying but can barely get meterless shaolin flame to activate after windmill punch before the AI can block.
Well I'm not sure what to say about that, they've all been working regularly for me in real matches and they're counting as true combos on the readouts. Are you sure you're cancelling out of them properly? Worst case scenario I suppose I can post some footage to demonstrate.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Well I'm not sure what to say about that, they've all been working regularly for me in real matches and they're counting as true combos on the readouts. Are you sure you're cancelling out of them properly? Worst case scenario I suppose I can post some footage to demonstrate.
Please do, with footage I could get a better sense of timing. I had it on auto block and did it myself and it seemed line there was no way for either to work.

9_Lives

Noob
Has anyone noticed that the animations on the standing fireball in df get cut short if you mash backwards before the fireball comes out and after releasing 1 off the bf1? It's not as fast as Kano's knives or even as ff's standing fireball, and it's not entirely consistent as far as I can tell, but it does hit mid. It could possibly be worth exploring. If you're planning to chip them though, I think you're better off just doing the meter burn version.

you can link ex buff from strings into another strings.

here are 2 for midscreen:

F21 - ex buff, F44 - WP - low fireball (30%)
F3 - ex buff, F44 - wp - low fireball (30%)
F21 - ex buff - F12 - WP - low fireball (29%)

this ones are harder (i mean really hard, like the run cancles from DF):

F21 - ex buff - run -112, B12 - run - F21 - WP - low fireball (33%)
F3 - ex buff - run - 112, B12, run - F21 - WP - low fireball (34%)

Shtutik

Noob
Jesus why WP does no chip damage if the opponent ducks its mid but does like 4 hits the rest whiffs on pc anyway same thing on consoles ? also ex fireball sometimes connects after f44 sometimes not and after b12 wtf is this ? is it a 50/50 MID ? why is it random ? flame fist is so good so much potential just now 25-30% chip if the opponent stands Ex Fireball -2 huge chip cant interrupt

/ also you can f213 than regular Buff and cancel it into WP right away i bet you cant interrupt with armour maybe but liu can armour as well

ahaha if you duck you can armour out of WP on pc

Last edited:

Alakai

Noob
When Kitanna crouch blocks fbf4 in ff the very last punch whiffs keeping you from 2in1ing into another special. The weird thing about this is that because the last punch whiffs you end up being slightly plus. I was trying to find a way to get that to happen regardless of how the opponent blocks but couldn't. If anyone wants to look into this be my guest.

STRYKIE

@STRYKIE or anyone else . how do you become a moderator on tym? i know its off topic but dnt wanna make a new thread on it.
I've never been a mod, couldn't tell you man.

Please do, with footage I could get a better sense of timing. I had it on auto block and did it myself and it seemed line there was no way for either to work.
I'll hold my hands up and admit the timing to buffer a windmill punch after the flame buff is quite awkward, I kind of mash it and I'm not sure if that would make for a good visual reference, but the rest are consistent, I'll get a video up with examples of the links I listed by tomorrow, haven't had much access to my PS4 over the course of EVO weekend.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I'll hold my hands up and admit the timing to buffer a windmill punch after the flame buff is quite awkward, I kind of mash it and I'm not sure if that would make for a good visual reference, but the rest are consistent, I'll get a video up with examples of the links I listed by tomorrow, haven't had much access to my PS4 over the course of EVO weekend.
Cool man! I appreciate it.

STRYKIE

@KingHippo

I can't edit my way out of a paper bag so I had to trim most of them individually to cut out the botches lol, but here you go man:

Probably some room for improvement on the corner ones, but these should give you a general idea on when and where to cash in.