What's new

Liu Kang Discussion Thread

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
Ok yea I see that sliding my fingers or mashing the buttons together gets them to come out.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Ok Ive started trying to learn combos with hims and some of his strings really hard to execute consistently like 2,1,2, as well as b1,2,4. any advice on gettign them to come out? Cause even when I dial a combo and input it fast so that its like the game is catching up to my inputs the moves still come out inconsistently.
They both come out if you press very fast. And I think his b124 comes out only if you press all the buttons fast byt you can cancel into specials after his second hit animation

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
F4 is awesome - hit confirmable, 9 frames, M I D , decent range, krushing blow. Kang's best button right now. Using It with stance is nice but be carefull cause If you do F4,3 into stance theres a gap. Keep mixing with F4 into stance so your oponent will start to respect you.

Stance into low is safe - low profiles, -8 with pushback and hard knockdown on hit. Use it alot

His f3 is kinda meh tbh cause its 13 frames, the range is whack and it's hard as fuck to hit confirm. I only use it when I'm 100% sure that I'm gonna get a punish and that is kinda rare.

Doing S1 and 1,2 on his juggle combos is being the most optimal thing to me. Since I started doing S1/1,2 on combos I pretty much landed all my combos and the damage is good.
Like for example: D2 krushing blow - dash 1,2 - dash - 1,2,3 - bick kick.
Another one: on corner: F4,3U3 krushing blow - S1 - 1,2 - 1,2,3 - bick kick or flying kick or fatal blow.

Best anti airs so far are being d2 and 1,2,3 into bick kick or flying kick. 1,2,3 cause if you are kinda far and u do only S1 and try to dash and combo, most of the times you will not reach to get the combo. So when u do 1,2,3 the first hit will connect, the second hit will miss and the third hit will connect and then you do bick kick or flying kick or even a fatal blow. It works like a charm.

If anyone wants to watch me playing go to the ranked leaderboards I'm at 57th position I think. Then you click on my card so you can watch my matches. Haven't lost yet.

DragonofDadashov24

So
Played him for 2 days and I’m no near a master of playing so here are my 2 cents and correct me please if I’m wrong or give me a tip with some of these.
He’s a great versatile character with great range, very decent zoning game and a solid rushdown game.
As said about his F4 is great and can be cancelled into stance following with the low.
His b3 has the best range and is my go to footsie tool. I haven’t found a proper use to b214 beside canceling b21 into stance. I also don’t use 2121. D1 is meh in my opinion, d3 is shit, d4 is useless, d2 is the best for me. Is it possible to do iafb? Every time I try it I just hop. Cross ups are shit. Low fireball is great and can be used as a combo extender when amplified. So far his flaws are very unsafe specials except stance 3. 12 are high but plus on block and work much better than his 11 in MKX. B2d2 is safe and has good range. Flying kick isn’t full screen and I got full combo punished because I didn’t know that. Bicycle has poor range but restands. His KB are all fantastic. B4 also has good range.
I think his 123 is very important though I can’t find good use to it except for enforcing the opponent to block so he doesn’t eat my low moves.

Last edited:

Matt0!

Noob
F4 is awesome - hit confirmable, 9 frames, M I D , decent range, krushing blow. Kang's best button right now. Using It with stance is nice but be carefull cause If you do F4,3 into stance theres a gap. Keep mixing with F4 into stance so your oponent will start to respect you.

Stance into low is safe - low profiles, -8 with pushback and hard knockdown on hit. Use it alot

His f3 is kinda meh tbh cause its 13 frames, the range is whack and it's hard as fuck to hit confirm. I only use it when I'm 100% sure that I'm gonna get a punish and that is kinda rare.

Doing S1 and 1,2 on his juggle combos is being the most optimal thing to me. Since I started doing S1/1,2 on combos I pretty much landed all my combos and the damage is good.
Another one: on corner: F4,3U3 krushing blow - S1 - 1,2 - 1,2,3 - bick kick or flying kick or fatal blow.

Best anti airs so far are being d2 and 1,2,3 into bick kick or flying kick. 1,2,3 cause if you are kinda far and u do only S1 and try to dash and combo, most of the times you will not reach to get the combo. So when u do 1,2,3 the first hit will connect, the second hit will miss and the third hit will connect and then you do bick kick or flying kick or even a fatal blow. It works like a charm.

If anyone wants to watch me playing go to the ranked leaderboards I'm at 57th position I think. Then you click on my card so you can watch my matches. Haven't lost yet.

When you say Stance do you mean Shaolin Stance ? sorry noob here :p TIA

So I already posted that on Johnny's discussion thread but some of you could have missed it so I'll post it here :
If Johnny is crouch blocking, his hurtbox is able to low profile Liu Kang's b34 and punish it with a full combo

Yeah he has a shifting hurtbox while crouch blocking. Many D1 will whiff him as well, you can literally see him swaying back and forth, just looking at him this makes me wanna slap the shit out of him.

Don't need Johnny though.

Frenzy

Noob
I have concerns for liu. F43u3 is kinda bad unless I’m missing something. F4 and F43 are -7 so they are punishable by 6f pokes and make you lose your turn even if they don’t have 6f moves. F43u3 is interruptible for a combo, and there is not really a mind game. I could poke expecting you to stagger f43 and cover f43u3 as well. Parry after F43 is good but if they have a fast d3 then that mind game is dead. On top of all of that, you can flawless block u2 the last hit of F43u3. His other plus string are two high attacks. His b34 has a gap that can be interrupted as well so there’s. His other fast mid, b1, is very stubby and leads to no pressure. His Shaolin stance cancels are double digit negative and use defensive bar. Shaolin stance 2 is mid overhead so there’s no mix and it’s full combo punishable. Shaolin stance 3 is his saving grace. His d1 is stubby too.

Last edited:

Frenzy

Noob
Let me know if you guys see something that I don’t. All I know is that b2 ss3(Shaolin stance 3), 123 ss3, and f333(third hit) ss3 are good, but even then they don’t lead to a mixup. One more thing I’ve noticed is that his flawless block reversal are stubby as well. There’s been times when I’ve done flawless block u2 or u3 and they whiffed. Not sure how much that happens to other characters. It’s a waste of a defensive and offensive bar.

Last edited:

you didnt mean d2 into bicycle right? cause ive been trying that for a long time.

btw i appreciate your write up. was useful to pick up liu kang

also does he not have any non krushing blow mid screen combos that arent jump in?

Last edited:

DragonofDadashov24

So far I tested
Shao Kahn, Frost, Sub-Zero, Scorpion FB
Sub-Zero is wiff punishable, Frost is unpunishable mid screen, but she hits high, Shao Kahn is full combo punishable both on block and wiff, Scorp the same

DragonofDadashov24

Doing this from memory but I'm pretty sure that I had the AI set to blocking stance and that was set to duck. But the highs were still wiffing on SZ for example.
Exactly my situation. Just set it crouch block, he’ll raise his hands to block. If he crouches without blocking he doesn’t raise his hands. 12 don’t whiff if blocked, at least not against Sub

Exactly my situation. Just set it crouch block, he’ll raise his hands to block. If he crouches without blocking he doesn’t raise his hands. 12 don’t whiff if blocked, at least not against Sub
So to follow on for anyone else. You don't wanna select block mode stance and ducking but select stance hold and ducking. I didn't realise that was an option until now.