What's new

Last Dance / Overall Impression of MK11 Beta

Kal

<3
Pretty good.

Still not a fan of free Fatal Blows, auto replenishing meters, the slow movement (which I hear will be fixed in the final version), floaty jumps and of course the awful "combo breaker" system.

Definitely the best Mortal Kombat game I've ever played.

Netkode is almost flawless. Best in the genre- granted the competition is depressingly not even trying at this point.

Love the footsies and weapon based gameplay and can't wait to see how it evolves. One thing I did notice is my d2's felt like they always lost to j3s even in situations where I'd expect a trade? Maybe I was just unlucky. Tripguarding at least is quite good in this game and feels great.

Zoning in this game also felt very good. It was super satisfying when I could zone with Kabal and very compelling weaving through Skarlet's ranged barrage.

I didn't play enough to be able to use perfect block or krushing blows in any strategic way so can't really give good feedback on them.

Beating a dead horse with "Dashes need to be better", but yeah forward dashes need to be better. I'm honestly not sure if backdashes have a place in this game so I guess I'm kinda fine with their state. Walk speed is great though.

I am very sour on Fatal Blows as a gameplay mechanic being as safe as they are on block. I played Kabal the entire beta, and not only was my Fatal Blow easily the best in the beta- but I didn't get punished for it once.

Also shoutouts to the loading time. It's super quick between character select and getting to the fight.

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
Pretty good.

Still not a fan of free Fatal Blows, auto replenishing meters, the slow movement (which I hear will be fixed in the final version), floaty jumps and of course the awful "combo breaker" system.
fatal blows can be blocked unless you get caught in string

Graphics 10/10. Arenas are beautiful and NRS has some of the best HDR implementation out there. The character models look amazing, and I feel confident in saying every character looks their best in MK11.

Visual customization 5/10. Step back from Injustice 2. While a lot of the pieces in Injustice 2 looked similar, there were still pieces unique enough to create several distinct looks, and the important thing was you could mix and match core costume pieces (head, arm, body, legs). In MK11 we're basically back to alt. costumes, and the parts you can customize are largely inconsequential to a character's overall visual flare.

Ability customization 8/10. Love that everything is available from the start and NRS put a lot of thought and effort into making ability balanced (slots, conflicting moves, dependent moves). The UI for creating a new variation is a little confusing, with the way it initializes with an existing variation's name. And they really need to add a video that demonstrates the special moves. With a good UI to select abilities at the character select screen I would love to see tournament legal custom variations.

Sound 8/10. The soundtrack is such a massive step up over MKX which I consider having the worst soundtrack of any MK game. Black Dragon Fight Klub Round 2 is a standout in the demo. The punch/kick sound sounds a little to squishy and lack impact. The weapon effects are fantastic.

Gameplay 9/10. Everything I didn't like about MKX is gone. I am a huge fan of the slower pace, shorter combos, and heavy neutral. The spacing game is fun to play although I am concerned it's not too fun to watch. All the characters recently announced have a lot more options than any character in the beta which is weird.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
The lack of longer combos is gonna take some getting used to, even for someone like myself thats more used to playing a footsies-based game

smoke420

Noob
buff jade

jade is the worst of the 5 . top tier is debateable but jade is consensus bottom.

xray shouldn't reload if you miss it.

shorter intros and exit poses... some are eternal and unessary.

skarlet is my favorite to play so far, hope its better on april 23

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
buff jade

jade is the worst of the 5 . top tier is debateable but jade is consensus bottom.

xray shouldn't reload if you miss it.

skarlet is my favorite to play so far, hope its better on april 23
Bruh, there already making fatal blows unsafe on block, they don't need another nerf, cept for kabals

Also not a fan of the extended intro's. MKX was good - P1 dialogue, P2 dialogue, P1 dialogue. Now it seems it's P1 intro, P2 intro, P1 dialogue, P2 dialogue, P1 dialogue. Possibly more at times.

I get that it helps add to the character and the story, but seems a little overkill, esp. seeing as it's going to be skipped much of the time.

And i wish the menu music was a little more creepy(?) think MK3 PC version menu (0.48s)

The whole orchestral cinematic style is great, but sometimes it's the simple things.

Otherwise it's shaping up nicely.

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
Visually, the game is excellent. The only issue I noticed is that Skarlet's lips are not in sync with her words when she says, "Shao Khan has been keeping secrets".

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
400+ matches so far, and I’m in love.

I wish they would’ve left the walk speed and dashes alone. I think it works perfectly well in the beta. Spacing by walking back and forth feels perfect, and is the absolute best for playing footsies. I don’t want super-speed dashes to return. It always looks awkward to me. Leave that for the anime games. People think this game feels “slow” as-is, but it’s most definitely not once you get into it.

The only real complaint I have is getting killed by a Fatal Blow when I am not even low enough to have my own Fatal Blow active yet. But they’ve already fixed that, so I’m good!

For people who complained about Krushing Blows “slowing the match down”.... NOPE. Not at all! I love the “daaaaamn!” effect they bring, and the utility as well. They give you time to react and combo off of something you normally can’t combo from.

Basically I think people just needed more time with the game before running to the internet to complain about everything. It’s fantastic right now and I don’t want them to ruin it.