What's new

Kung Lao - The Shaolin Return (Setups, interactions, tricks & Tips) (By T7G-ETC Mcfly)

Sup Guys!

I leave my contribution for the players of kung lao with details of the use of interaction in combos, combos without meter, configurations, tricks and some tips that I hope will serve you. For the Shaolin ...

*Competitive mode

@KutlessMyth, @Saltea Moonspell, @Professor Oak, @just_2swift, @retroracer, @HellblazerHawkman, @STORMS

@colt bro, check the minute 2:28 there is a glitch with the interaction. The other thing, Kung Lao is great but he needs improvements in his chains pls ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you all think about his 21 being high, mid, mid.
His F21 being -7 on block
F13 being -8 on block
His standing 3 to be mid f2 -6 and 12 frame start up paired with what you said above. Make 21 high mid but move the chain fist to his 1,2. This will allow 1,2 stagger into mind games 1,2 into throw or into chain fist or another 1,2 or his hop overhead for conditioning. This would add some nice layers to his weak game up close.

To me, as far as over all command is pretty neutral and feel good, I feel he suffers in neutral the most, due to big frame loss on his strings. Staggering with F1 is just not enough to go up against the rest of the cast. The F23 is nice string, but -13 is really bad. Currently I have no solid plan that would allow me to maintain offense.

No doubt I feel the same. but I have created my own strategy. Soon I will upload my gameplay and how I resolved the matches.

Undoubtedly, KL needs Buff. I would love if the thread F1.3, U2 were really the last hit a overhead or the chain F2.3 would be -8 at least.

His standing 3 to be mid f2 -6 and 12 frame start up paired with what you said above. Make 21 high mid but move the chain fist to his 1,2. This will allow 1,2 stagger into mind games 1,2 into throw or into chain fist or another 1,2 or his hop overhead for conditioning. This would add some nice layers to his weak game up close.
For this change for his 12 chain fist. change the input of his 121 side switch string to 12f1 or 12b1 for no conflicts with these to strings.

For this change for his 12 chain fist. change the input of his 121 side switch string to 12f1 or 12b1 for no conflicts with these to strings.

What came to right after understanding his buttons, is that due to lack of OH, everyone is low blocking and due to his low starter. So a good player will always poke out, out of chain fist due to its high properties - this string outside of hit, is useless.

What came to right after understanding his buttons, is that due to lack of OH, everyone is low blocking and due to his low starter. So a good player will always poke out, out of chain fist due to its high properties - this string outside of hit, is useless.
It's not that he needs an overhead starter it's more so he doesn't have solid stagger game. Moving chain fist to 1,2 would do wonders. Now here's a thought what about f1,2? Make the 2 an overhead.

Example on block(corner): f1 12 chain +1 on block (d1 check) f1,2 (overhead)

Now once you have them conditioned to block the over head then you can start to open them up with your stagger game with f1 into b3.

This will help Lao tremendously by giving him a overhead conditioning tool instead of a overhead starter.

It's not that he needs an overhead starter it's more so he doesn't have solid stagger game. Moving chain fist to 1,2 would do wonders. Now here's a thought what about f1,2? Make the 2 an overhead.

Example on block(corner): f1 12 chain +1 on block (d1 check) f1,2 (overhead)

Now once you have them conditioned to block the over head then you can start to open them up with your stagger game with f1 into b3.

This will help Lao tremendously by giving him a overhead conditioning tool instead of a overhead starter.
I didn't say he needs OH starter. I stated that due to lack of OH, there is no reason to block high. The universal hop jump is ass, cause its too much negative on block.

He fact that he can't confirm from f1, is also bad. He really is bare bones. I wasted two years with Hat trick in MKX, and I still couldn't match with top tiers, due to poor, or unfinished design.

Either they give him decent tools, or I won't do it again, even though I love the variation to death.

I didn't say he needs OH starter. I stated that due to lack of OH, there is no reason to block high. The universal hop jump is ass, cause its too much negative on block.

He fact that he can't confirm from f1, is also bad. He really is bare bones. I wasted two years with Hat trick in MKX, and I still couldn't match with top tiers, due to poor, or unfinished design.

Either they give him decent tools, or I won't do it again, even though I love the variation to death.
I Know. I'm just stating that fact so nrs would consider it as a conditioning tool (f1,2) rather than a overhead starter. We all want Lao to be solid let's not lose sight of that. We just have to keep up voicing our thoughts we actually should make a thread about it since this isn't the thread for this topic lol sorry @ETC Mcfly.