What's new

General/Other - Tempest Kung Lao Tempest Variation General Discussion

is this the best setup option in the corner? what can i do that's better?

My Bnb off of the hat spin in the corner does 40%, but your combo ends in the hat setup so it is better.

Edit: made a new combo that is easier to do than yours and does 38% with the setup included

The combo is: hat spin 44, 1, b321spin, jk dk, 1, 11hat spin.

Last edited:
Wish we could get 30% off of raw ex spin in buzzsaw. Ex spin scales like crazy
So you want what is probably the best/easiest wiff punisher in the game to do huge damage consistently? Ex spin makes so many normally safe strings unsafe. Fighting Kung Lao with 1 bar is always intimidating because one half decent read and your string is over, and he is pressuring you. I don't think it needs any more improvement.

So you want what is probably the best/easiest wiff punisher in the game to do huge damage consistently? Ex spin makes so many normally safe strings unsafe. Fighting Kung Lao with 1 bar is always intimidating because one half decent read and your string is over, and he is pressuring you. I don't think it needs any more improvement.
I am just saying i wish we could find a better bnb, stop assuming stuff. Plus you are talking about the tempest spin and buzzsaw spin at the same time now, buzzsaw won't punish like tempest. And anyone can use armor after a string that is slightly negative, that is not just lao.

My Bnb off of the hat spin in the corner does 40%, but your combo ends in the hat setup so it is better.

Edit: made a new combo that is easier to do than yours and does 38% with the setup included

The combo is: hat spin 44, 1, b321spin, jk dk, 1, 11hat spin.
sounds good, i figured i could have gotten that extra % or so by playing around with a few jabs here and there to max out the gravity but just kinda stopped to come ask instead of wasting my time on something potentially a waste

thanks!

Using a stick on PC and for some reason the tornado wont spin. Is there a way to map a button to on fightstick to make it spin or is pc kinda screwed with that move?

Wasted

Noob
Using a stick on PC and for some reason the tornado wont spin. Is there a way to map a button to on fightstick to make it spin or is pc kinda screwed with that move?
If you're using a Madcatz, switch the dpad to the left stick as mentioned. If you're using a Qanba or Eightarc, press MODE.

Was messing around with Kung Lao's ex hat spin trying to see what I could do. Took me a lot attempts to get something with it, but this is what I got.

Hopefully you guys can expand upon it or are interested by it

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
Buff boys. He can get solid damage off his hat spin without meter now.
He can do 11 hat spin. 11212 spiN into combo.
Also B321 hat spin B32 spin into combo.

Also frame data changed again
1 and 11 is +1 on block
44 is +2

Buff boys. He can get solid damage off his hat spin without meter now.
He can do 11 hat spin. 11212 spiN into combo.
Also B321 hat spin B32 spin into combo.

Also frame data changed again
1 and 11 is +1 on block
44 is +2
44 being +2 doesn't matter there is still a gap in thr string, so it is still for punishing.

He now has a safe b2 overhead launcher

hmm maybe we can do something like activate the hats and whiff the first hit of 44 and make them block the second hit for the frame advantage.

Cat

44 being +2 doesn't matter there is still a gap in thr string, so it is still for punishing.

He now has a safe b2 overhead launcher
yeah i know that, was just posting the updated frame data.
in buzz saw i would do 4 low hat. to catch ppl reacting to the overhead follow up or trying to interrupt. once you condition them you can 44

in tempest maybe we can do 4 into hat spin. ill test it

yeah i know that, was just posting the updated frame data.
in buzz saw i would do 4 low hat. to catch ppl reacting to the overhead follow up or trying to interrupt. once you condition them you can 44

in tempest maybe we can do 4 into hat spin. ill test it
Yeah, but the gap between 44 is pretty big so the difference between 4 cancelled into something and 44 can still be seen probably. But damnn 31% meterless off of a safe overhead is no joke

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
you gonna stick to buzz saw or try tempest now?
i need to hit you up btw. need advice on my lao and shit
Well now there's actually reason to use tempest, so it could be applicable in certain matches. Basically ones where you cant just throw low hats :p

Reactions: Cat

Cat

so after the hat spin 44 is a pretty tight link. But goddamn 42% meterless off of a safe overhead?
its a 2 frame link. not that hard with practice, you can do b321 as well but its tighter and you dont get as much damage

its a 2 frame link. not that hard with practice, you can do b321 as well but its tighter and you dont get as much damage
You have it down consistently already? This variation doesn't really need meter for anything but ex spin and breaker, its so sick.

They might patch this away though. 40%+ off of his main launchers meterless is kinda ridiculous. They might do something like make the link tighter so 44 isn't possible anymore.