What's new

General/Other - Tempest Kung Lao Tempest Variation General Discussion

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
So I was fighting a Tanya the other day and I know the EX hat spin got nerfed to +12 but unless I'm on crack b3 is 15 frames which means there is a 3 frame gap, so how in gods green earth am I getting jabbed out of my b3 with a 7 frame normal?
I have no idea I had it happen to me also.

NHDR

Noob
I picked up Tempest last night, would like some feedback on my gameplan:

-Simple punish with 11 xx DF1 - NJ1 - (insert combo)
-Safe pressure with 11 xx DB1 or DF1+hold back
-AA with D2 and DF1
-Build meter with hat toss
-Anti-zone with teleport

Judging by the properties of DB1, I also gathered that it has a purpose to setup pressure after a hard knockdown. Are there any other basics I'm missing? Please keep in mind I'm completely new to Kung Lao, never even tried him in training mode until yesterday.

Malices' World

LOL!! @.@
So I was fighting a Tanya the other day and I know the EX hat spin got nerfed to +12 but unless I'm on crack b3 is 15 frames which means there is a 3 frame gap, so how in gods green earth am I getting jabbed out of my b3 with a 7 frame normal?
THE STRUGGLE MY FRIEND I UNDERSTAND YOU D:

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
You had to post that shit in 3 different threads? I'm not giving you a view on principal now

MK_Al

Noob
I picked up Tempest last night, would like some feedback on my gameplan:

-Simple punish with 11 xx DF1 - NJ1 - (insert combo)
-Safe pressure with 11 xx DB1 or DF1+hold back
-AA with D2 and DF1
-Build meter with hat toss
-Anti-zone with teleport

Judging by the properties of DB1, I also gathered that it has a purpose to setup pressure after a hard knockdown. Are there any other basics I'm missing? Please keep in mind I'm completely new to Kung Lao, never even tried him in training mode until yesterday.
I recommend to punish with 11 xx DB1 44 .... or 11 DB1 b12 ... in case you have trouble with the DB1 into 44 (but if you like to stick with KL you should learn it anyway, since you're missing out on a lot of damage otherwise). In a lot of cases 11 can't punish because of the range, you can then switch to b12 xx DB1 if you have enough frame advantage, or f12 xx DB1 (in this case 44 doesn't connect). 11 xx DF1 does significantly less damage, and I personally have trouble hitconfirming the spin afterwards.
I'm not sure how to pressure with 11 DF1+hold back; you take a huge risk of the spin being blocked and taking a full combo punish. DB1 is not "safe" pressure. It is in general -3 on block, so your pressure ends here unless you enhance it. Also, DB1 and EX DB1 can be reversaled by armored moves.
DF1 works great as an anti air for close jump ins, EX DF1 catches jump ins with more distance. When AA with d2 you're again missing out on huge damage. Also D2 has 16f startup so it's quite slow.
Building meter with hat toss won't work that great. You will need to throw 8 hats with your oponent blocking or 16 whiffed hats to build one meter, which is a lot. Additionally you are throwing away your best weapon. Without the hat KL loses a lot of good moves. Building meter works best with 112124 on block.
Anti zone with teleport works ok depending on the recovery of the char. Don't throw it out like candy or you will get punished. Use the DK to get in quickly while jumping a projectile.
Work on your footsie game, try to stay between jumpin range and sweep distance to spin jumpin atacks or to check with b2 and f2. Make use of your awesome jump 2.

Thats how I see it. Best of luck.

MK_Al

Noob
I'm not sure if this deserves a new post or if it has been mentioned already, so I'm posting it here, though I think more people should be aware of this:
We know some chars have bigger hurtboxes than others, so KL gets some character specific combos:

Works on Goro and Predator (and maybe some others I don't know yet):
- b321 xx DB1 b32 xx DF1 b321 (32%)
- b321 xx DB1 b32 xx DF1 run b321 xx EXDF1 NJP f4 (41%)

On smaller chars the DF1 won't connect after the b32

Seems to work on Predator only:
- 112124 xx DF1 ...

Spin does not connect after 11212"4" on every other char as far as I am aware. Except for the corner of course.

I'm sure there's more damage to net here.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
So I found something kinda cool and silly. After the 112124 string you can do spin, hold spin and move forward, hit them and it still combos. They can't reveral or armor through it. Granted I can only really do 24% off it but it's tech

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
So I found something kinda cool and silly. After the 112124 string you can do spin, hold spin and move forward, hit them and it still combos. They can't reveral or armor through it. Granted I can only really do 24% off it but it's tech
you can do the same thing off of b32, its nothing new.

also the usual combo i do off of b3 is B321~Hatspin, RC b32~spin, jkdk 21. i believe thats 34% meterless.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
you can do the same thing off of b32, its nothing new.

also the usual combo i do off of b3 is B321~Hatspin, RC b32~spin, jkdk 21. i believe thats 34% meterless.
I usually do that one in the corner. It's gets to about 36% because you can do two b321s. Still useful to know that can be done from mid screen :)

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Since we all know that Tempest needs a nerf, what do you think NRS will change?

I think this would be fair:

- Ji2 hitbox reduced, his phantom hitbox needs to go...it's just ridicolous
- db1 -7 on block instead of -3
- slight damage nerf

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
KL hat tele setup:

Just an extra lil thing the opp should watch out for

If you see them block you can do dropkick instead then you'll b plus but careful if they are crouching

Can also mb tele grab or oh creates mindgames

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Since we all know that Tempest needs a nerf, what do you think NRS will change?

I think this would be fair:

- Ji2 hitbox reduced, his phantom hitbox needs to go...it's just ridicolous
- db1 -7 on block instead of -3
- slight damage nerf
Nope he is fine. J2 hit box is crazy but it's the phantom reach it has is an issue

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
Is there a combo thread for Tempest? Seems to be a bit of a mess.

I'm looking for combo starters, punishers, corner combos, mix ups, block strings, flash combos etc. Not really looking for videos showing off, would like to see the inputs.

Just new to KL & wanna try a few things out before I hit online.

Cheers

How do you play against raiden? my friend is using him since day one, and im having trouble.
he is using f12b1, choke on block and following up with a njp and i cant manage to punish it.

what to do against his lightning bolt?
I cannot manage to teleport before a lightning bolt for punishing, and if i try to react jumping over it, he can just charge it a little bit and blow up my try.

what do you guys do against him? should i play far away from him or up close, and how to deal with his njp?
thank you for any advice!

How do you play against raiden? my friend is using him since day one, and im having trouble.
he is using f12b1, choke on block and following up with a njp and i cant manage to punish it.

what to do against his lightning bolt?
I cannot manage to teleport before a lightning bolt for punishing, and if i try to react jumping over it, he can just charge it a little bit and blow up my try.

what do you guys do against him? should i play far away from him or up close, and how to deal with his njp?
thank you for any advice!
D4 is the key to the raiden matchup.