What's new

Tech - Kung Lao Kung Lao MK9 Spin is Back (8/31/15 Patch Discussion)

Banazama

Noob
isnt f2 still guaranteed? also a well timed run cancel into 1121214 should still be pretty tight right?
Yes, but F2 is a just-frame I believe, and run into 11 is also really hard.

EDIT: Not sure about run 112124 anymore. I got the first standing 1 to hit but the second 1 is out of range.

Last edited:

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
yeah, im not sure how hard this is going to effect his gameplan overall, if it does a lot, I may just end up dropping lao, even though I really don't want to :(

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
honestly as far as tempest lao is concerned, after using ex hatspin, the only thing they really need ot respect is d4 and f2, neither of which will net u a combo till your hat comes back, d4 being the best option since your +17 on hit, but even then, doesnt it put u back into the same situation again of either f2 or d4.....they ruined tempests pressure.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
They only added more Yomi layers to the MB hat spin pressure we just have to read our opponent. But he was fine the way he was it wasn't like his pressure was guaranteed the push back is unnecessary. Maybe they thought he was breaking armor with 11? I haven't done that yet. Spending a bar just to push my opponent away is bad juju. His dmg nerf only makes hat spin combos useless now but 2% isn't a big deal the closest thing to hat pressure now is 1121 MB hat spin. If you leave out the 4 there is no push back the downside is its not guaranteed I use 1121 teleport or stagger it and do nothing and or if I go for the whole string and see if they get hit buy the 4 I can hit confirm into spin or hat spin.

coolwhip

Noob
The changes are fine. His damage is still really good and you just have to make better reads re: his pressure now. For starters, you have two guaranteed options with f2 and d4 after ex hat spin. So basically, your opponent has to guess as to whether you're going to poke or not. He guesses wrong, and you can continue your pressure. So you get the same reward you used to but you have to guess right first, as opposed to having it guaranteed. Not to mention f2 is only -1 on block so you still have plenty of options if it's blocked.

It's more conditioning based now. If your opponent respects your follow up, you can start running forward and following up with 112124 again. Another thing you can do is follow up the ex hat spin with b321. The only way this can be beaten is if your opponent armors (it will catch pokes and launch them. Though I still need to test it against backdashes). Once you start doing this your opponent might start trying to armor out, and again, you'll have to make a read. If you guess right you'll get to block and punish against more chars.

So yeah, Lao is probably no longer top 5 but tempest is still really good.

Last edited:

Banazama

Noob
It's more conditioning based now. If your opponent respects your follow up, you can start running forward and following up with 112124 again. Another thing you can do is follow up the ex hat spin with b321. The only way this can be beaten is if your opponent armors (it will catch pokes and launch them. Though I still need to test it against backdashes). Once you start doing this your opponent might start trying to armor out, and again, you'll have to make a read. If you guess right you'll get to block and punish against more chars.
Characters with shit backdashes like Kung Lao can`t escape B321. But you have to read and commit to a run B321 against characters with good ones like Sub.