What's new

General/Other - Kung Lao Kung Lao General Discussion

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
heres some tech for yah, Try a Meaty 44 on a hard knockdown in the corner, whiff the first 4 hit the 2nd.

also ending corner combos with b321~mb teleport, hold it a bit and then go into whatever, i prefer tele-4 since you get another free string. or MB throw because free combo :D

Anyone Able to do 11212 consistently online? it looks soo cool but dropping punishes cuz of strict timing kinda sux. Lao hat this type of move in mk9 and the timing was that strict.

MK_Al

Noob
guys, i remeber seeing a 51% corner combo with an uppercut, i can't find the video, does anyone know what im talking about? :(
Don't know about this video, but you can do

44, 4xxspin, uppercut and follow up with
- f21xxspin
- exspin (+ score some more hits when playing tempest. Follow up with another uppercut will net you about 43%)

All those combos do about 39% and are quite impractical since you let your opponent out of the corner. Anyway, without xray it seems hardly possible to get more than 40%; at least with buzzsaw and useless variation.

However, the combo can also be followed up by a throw. The timing is a bit tricky, but it is quite a nice setup since you can spend one meter to reset your opponent in the corner, with the risk of your oponent teching. I have to admit I'm a bit proud of myself for figuring this out :)

If anyone knows the 51% combo pls post

Thinking about picking up Kung Lao but after reading this thread I have to ask: Whats the general strategy here with Lao? People are saying he's good up close, decent range game.. he seems more well rounded than completely dominate in one area or another.. So I guess what im saying is, if i want to increase my overall chances of winning, do I want to be OUTSIDE or INSIDE during the match?

Thinking about picking up Kung Lao but after reading this thread I have to ask: Whats the general strategy here with Lao? People are saying he's good up close, decent range game.. he seems more well rounded than completely dominate in one area or another.. So I guess what im saying is, if i want to increase my overall chances of winning, do I want to be OUTSIDE or INSIDE during the match?
With buzzsaw upclose in general.

bambus

Noob
Depending on your opponent. Against some opponents you want to keep a bit distance and vice versa. And with tempest which i use, you can also play defensive and punish more easily. You have to play differently vs. each opponents. I think that's the formula for every character. If you don't know the MU you are gonna lose to a good opponent.

Afro_physicist

Hat Trick
You want to be in range of your b321 string and b2. If you're able to get in their head you can get up close and use b12 tele or f23 low hat. tossing a low hat and running up works pretty well, and using teleport to get right to them works against weak zoners.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
btw, tele 3 is most likely zero on block. thought u guys might want to know that.

im pretty sure it is because i had the computer set as lao tempest on reversal with MB spin, and i did MB spin immediately as i land, they both started at the same time hitting eachothers armor.

coolwhip

Noob
btw, tele 3 is most likely zero on block. thought u guys might want to know that.

im pretty sure it is because i had the computer set as lao tempest on reversal with MB spin, and i did MB spin immediately as i land, they both started at the same time hitting eachothers armor.
To know if something is 0 on block, do the ghetto neutral jump test (set the opponent to always block and set movement on "jump"). Do tele 3 and neutral jump immediately. If both jump at the same time, a move is neutral on block.

If you do this test, you'll notice tele 3 is not 0 on block. Not only that, but how negative it is actually depends on how early/late the kick hits, so the frame data varies. But tele 3 is completely safe as Kung Lao's ex spin in tempest doesn't punish it regardless of how early/late the kick hits. It is always negative though.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
maybe, but it can't be much more than -1 then.

anyways, i hope they patch some of lao's strings/normals to be safer, especially the strings that don't lead to anything. for example, why in the world is f14, f4, f21d2 (or is it d1?) so punishable on block when you don't really get any followup besides a hard knockdown. his f4 should be 0 or -1, and the others should be about the same as well.

anyone else think that these strings should be more safe?

also his Dancing Hat in tempest needs to have a different purpose, besides just having a unique twirling animation.

Last edited:

Wasted

Noob
Hat Dance/Dancing Hat need to stay in orbit for like, two hits or something.

Yeah. Maybe just two. That way if you collide accidentally say off a divekick or teleport, you still have one last chance to convert. The hat disappearing on block ruins it's pressure.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Hat Dance/Dancing Hat need to stay in orbit for like, two hits or something.

Yeah. Maybe just two. That way if you collide accidentally say off a divekick or teleport, you still have one last chance to convert. The hat disappearing on block ruins it's pressure.
you don't get what i was talking about, yes the orbiting hat has a problem with consistancy,

but i was talking about mb hat toss in tempest....like what even is it good for?

coolwhip

Noob
maybe, but it can't be much more than -1 then.

anyways, i hope they patch some of lao's strings/normals to be safer, especially the strings that don't lead to anything. for example, why in the world is f14, f4, f21d2 (or is it d1?) so punishable on block when you don't really get any followup besides a hard knockdown. his f4 should be 0 or -1, and the others should be about the same as well.

anyone else think that these strings should be more safe?

also his Dancing Hat in tempest needs to have a different purpose, besides just having a unique twirling animation.
f14 is not meant to be used in pressure. It is a combo ender so it doesn't matter how negative it is on block since you should only use it in a juggle state. F4, I agree it could be safer. F21d1 being so negative doesn't matter. If you want to do a low after f21 you just cancel it into low hat which is only -6 on block.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
f14 is not meant to be used in pressure. It is a combo ender so it doesn't matter how negative it is on block since you should only use it in a juggle state. F4, I agree it could be safer. F21d1 being so negative doesn't matter. If you want to do a low after f21 you just cancel it into low hat which is only -6 on block.

but that only works for buzzsaw. f21d1 should be safer because of the other variations. oh and i almost forgot about b122+3, that should be safer as well.

and low hat is -6 on block? thought it was minus 3.

and what do you think of b321, you think it could do with being slightly less negative? maybe -3? i know you can combo off it and its a full mid string but....i can't help but feel that -5 is a wee bit too much.

Last edited:

Wasted

Noob
you don't get what i was talking about, yes the orbiting hat has a problem with consistancy,

but i was talking about mb hat toss in tempest....like what even is it good for?
My bad, I forgot EX Hat Throw in Tempest is callled Orbiting Hat.

It's a useless move. You can run after it, but it's too slow to be useful in that regard.

how do you guys open up with lao? i just cant open them up.. also i have a problem with tele+1(ex) just cant get it done :DD fuck this shi'**Tt

Last edited: