What's new

General/Other - Kung Lao Kung Lao General Discussion

I have been having a lot of success with Lao online, currently 201:15 and 1709 score. I tend to use f2d3 and b2 low hat as my main footsie tools. I also have gotten into the habit of not ending my strings in special moves on block. I do this to feel out each opponent and afterwards I start making reads to open them up. On jump in I always do 4,4. Very punishable but I can't resist the damage potential. If they don't check me on it I'll keep doing it and mix in a jump in f2d3 to throw them off.
I'd love to answer questions if anyone has any for me.

F4tal

Noob
Yes, starter spin, dk, standing 4 ex hat, b321
I have been having a lot of success with Lao online, currently 201:15 and 1709 score. I tend to use f2d3 and b2 low hat as my main footsie tools. I also have gotten into the habit of not ending my strings in special moves on block. I do this to feel out each opponent and afterwards I start making reads to open them up. On jump in I always do 4,4. Very punishable but I can't resist the damage potential. If they don't check me on it I'll keep doing it and mix in a jump in f2d3 to throw them off.
I'd love to answer questions if anyone has any for me.

I would suggest not always going for 4,4 on a jump in. While the damage potential is very good most opponents will be able to react to it and armor through it (if they have armor) so long as you do it on every jump in. Only thing I would recommend is to maybe do 1,1 on a jump in and mix it up with a teleport 1.

I would suggest not always going for 4,4 on a jump in. While the damage potential is very good most opponents will be able to react to it and armor through it (if they have armor) so long as you do it on every jump in. Only thing I would recommend is to maybe do 1,1 on a jump in and mix it up with a teleport 1.
Very true, I have been blown up for using it but as of now I find it's paying off enough to be worth it. New players don't seem to interrupt the string and I like speedy matches. When I do find more skilled opponents my game changes to a more footsie based, and punish oriented strategy. 1,1 doesn't have the range I like so I opt for f2d3 or b321 I almost never use 1,1 unless I'm looking for a quick punishing string.

Grumptronix

Fuck off, I'm not grumpy
Very true, I have been blown up for using it but as of now I find it's paying off enough to be worth it. New players don't seem to interrupt the string and I like speedy matches. When I do find more skilled opponents my game changes to a more footsie based, and punish oriented strategy. 1,1 doesn't have the range I like so I opt for f2d3 or b321 I almost never use 1,1 unless I'm looking for a quick punishing string.
By f2d3 you just mean f23 right? What does that leave you on block? Sorry, I'm asking questions that I could obviously answer myself, but I'm at work... haha

By f2d3 you just mean f23 right? What does that leave you on block? Sorry, I'm asking questions that I could obviously answer myself, but I'm at work... haha
Yeah I mean f23 idk why all this time I've been complicating that for myself lol. Its -22 on block, but ending in a low hat on reaction will make that safe for you. A little gimmick I've been using is if people are getting used to my block strings I'll throw out a f2 and then instead of completing the string I'll go right into a b2 low hat or spin because they are expecting the low and the overhead catches them off guard. Just something you guys can play around with.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
I'm sure this is known, but I love that KL's divekick can be converted into a full combo.

When I land a raw DK I just use the 1, 1, Spin string to whatever combo I feel like.

Just an interesting tidbit for those who didn't know.

Grumptronix

Fuck off, I'm not grumpy
Good stuff Clark. Ex Tele also has armour (thought I'd mention it to everyone as this is a good tool).

And I like the painfully obvious dig at me :p haha

Btw, to put the "safe" talk into context, if we look at Kung Lao in MK9, he has a few normals that leave him at 0 or advantage that would allow him to keep the pressure on. I think my issue is I'm trying to find the MK9 Kung Lao in MKX, and it's becoming apparent that they aren't one and the same. Kung Lao in MK9 is a high risk high reward, however I'm finding that Kung Lao in MKX is high risk low reward with the tech I have now. I'll keep on working at it though, I really do love Lao.

Grumptronix

Fuck off, I'm not grumpy
I'm sure this is known, but I love that KL's divekick can be converted into a full combo.

When I land a raw DK I just use the 1, 1, Spin string to whatever combo I feel like.

Just an interesting tidbit for those who didn't know.
... do you have video of this? This works in the corner, but that's about it...

F4tal

Noob
Good stuff Clark. Ex Tele also has armour (thought I'd mention it to everyone as this is a good tool).

And I like the painfully obvious dig at me :p haha

Btw, to put the "safe" talk into context, if we look at Kung Lao in MK9, he has a few normals that leave him at 0 or advantage that would allow him to keep the pressure on. I think my issue is I'm trying to find the MK9 Kung Lao in MKX, and it's becoming apparent that they aren't one and the same. Kung Lao in MK9 is a high risk high reward, however I'm finding that Kung Lao in MKX is high risk low reward with the tech I have now. I'll keep on working at it though, I really do love Lao.

Completely agree with this statement. He doesn't really get a lot of optimal meter less high damage combos for the risks you have to take but I still think he is a good character though.

sup guys,
I wanted to ask you if you also have problems doing divekicks? i am dropping divekicks it A LOT.
in mk9 i never has this problem :confused: . i mean they are extremely easy to do (d4 in air)
i am just wondering if my execution became bad or this input engine is strange?
thnx in advance!

MK_Al

Noob
You can convert the DK into many normals as long as the DK hits the upper body part (thats at least my impression, gotta hit the lab), but the follow up has to be hitconfirmed pretty fast. I like

- JK DK 4xxSpin...
- JK DK 11xxSpin...
- JK DK b12xxSpin...
- JK DK b312...

Last edited:

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
Hat trick looks cool but after figuring out that low hat and over head head are actually mids I'm confused and don't under stand how it is better than keeping your strings like b22 or df1. Can any one tell me what I don't see?

Grumptronix

Fuck off, I'm not grumpy
Well after trying it myself, you can definitely convert a dive kick into a standing 1, but I couldn't get it to convert on a 11 spin. Only into a 1 spin. Good stuff, although its dependent on where you hit them.

F4tal

Noob
Well after trying it myself, you can definitely convert a dive kick into a standing 1, but I couldn't get it to convert on a 11 spin. Only into a 1 spin. Good stuff, although its dependent on where you hit them.
You can convert 11 spin after dive kick.