• Sun God

Votes: 139 34.3%
  • Blood God

Votes: 61 15.1%
  • All Equally

Votes: 35 8.6%

• Total voters

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
*Sigh* Once again I never said he's bad. It's that barely any of them put the opponent in a situation to fear command grab and get punished for it. The few that do are made less effective by the fact that if they hit and Kotal committed to command grab he's at a disadvantage. I'm not saying a good player will be mashing while knowing the risks, but going for a tick grab in situation where the opponent didn't happen to block gets you punished. I've seen this happen to the Sun Gods that place in tournaments and I'm sure you've seen it to. It's set up so that's it's possible to get punished for landing a hit. What is that?
Also, where did I say it wasn't worth doing? Don't put words into my mouth.

I'm actually mainly a player of airdashers, but ok. Also, did you just say the ideology of grapplers in Tekken is the same as those in 2D fighters? Damn, you're losing credibility fast.

A character of the grappler archetype makes the opponent fear command grab and then punishes them for trying to escape it. All 2D grapplers follow this with the exception of Mortal Kombat. I don't even know why Namco is in this discussion when it's a 3D fighter and grapplers in that game are their own thing.

Once again, it's to make the opponent fear command grab and punish them for trying to escape it. Unib, Kof, P4U, BB, GG, BF, MB, SF, SG, Aquapazza, Arcana Hearts, VS, JJBA, Garou, etc. etc. etc. all follow this model... with the exception of MK. I'm sure you can figure out what that means, smart guy.
We really need a dislike button here.

MORDECA1

Noob
I have so much trouble with the F2 strings online. I can land it once, and only once. Then I air throw. So annoying because I love the character.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I have so much trouble with the F2 strings online. I can land it once, and only once. Then I air throw. So annoying because I love the character.
The timing is only strict on the second one (kind of like Jason's second low overhead). The third one is immediate. Then, you can either 2,1 Sun Throw or reset with an EX anti-air throw - then back 1 into his Sun Throw (since he falls faster after the bounce).

I like to set it up with a jump in 1 or 2 to get the spacing right. If I'm too close to land a second one (or if its too laggy), I'll just uppercut.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
So, please don't burn me at the stake for saying this, but I want to be able to tick off F1. In a perfect world, it would be F1, B3, F3, Standing 3, 21 and (Grundy Status) 114. I know all of that won't happen, but a man can dream.

Just give me F1 ticks. (and 114, please Paulo:cool:).

I mean ticking off 6 frame low pokes is hype, and the ever-so-memorable mind game of ticking off B1 and B1,4, but most of the ticks don't really lead to his substantial damage. To be more clear, if I read they're gonna jump out of the tick I was planning on B1 and continue with B1,2 xx EX AA grab I'm gonna net, I think, 40% for 1 bar and 3 Sun Stacks? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the damage, and 40% is a scary situation that makes your opponent either spend 2 bars and that stamina or be about 1 more combo from losing the round/match, but that's his best, and really only case scenario. B1, 4 is like what? An EX Sunstone if they jump after the 4? Best case scenario? Seems like the same for every other option, except 114 (and I'll get to that.) I don't know, I just feel this is an incredibly narrow grappler experience.

It's because of that damn atrocious grab recovery. Yeah, I know, I shouldn't be able to whiff grabs and be safe, but you have enough time to hang on that damn vine in the jungle, sway a little bit, make animal noises, and then punish. It's ridiculous. And yeah, you get great frame advantage off such a fast poke, but what do you get off the frame advantage? Possible combo? A setup into B1 xx Sun Choke? You're back into the narrow Sun Choke tick groove again.

1 is a high and 11 whiffs on a good section of the cast (end the sexism). It just all feels narrow to me. I feel like opening up another avenue where your opponent is scared of trying to escape the tick would be great for Kotal. F1 does this. That move give me a semi. That move is such a good footsie tool - covers great distance, pretty fast, and leads to a huge chunk of their life bar. It would be such a threat to do F1 xx Sun Choke and make someone piss their pants in fright, because F1, B2 is going to crush them if they guess wrong or don't have a bar. Think of it as a Waldstein assault command grab, but on the ground (terrible example lol).

Kotal needs help in other areas of his character design, but this is specifically for Sun God. I think Sun God is a great variation, and the recent damage buffs, AA grab buff, and frame advantage on Sun Choke were awesome, but I wish he wasn't as narrow - in terms of his tick throw game.

And 114 because.....

:cool:

...It's bright out here in the sun.

(Also, blowing up blockstrings with gaps with EX Sun Choke is is probably one of the most rewarding moments this game has to offer)

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
What exactly does EX Sun Choke do? I'm pretty sure it's not damage, I've tested that much. So is it armor or does it come out faster, recover faster? I think it was armor but my memory of it is fuzzy since it's been a long minute since I touched Kotal outside of the lab.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
What exactly does EX Sun Choke do? I'm pretty sure it's not damage, I've tested that much. So is it armor or does it come out faster, recover faster? I think it was armor but my memory of it is fuzzy since it's been a long minute since I touched Kotal outside of the lab.
Armor. I can't speak on speed, but I believe it's only armor.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Well that's something. Never under appreciate armor, especially on that command grab that we're busy trying to stack.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
So, please don't burn me at the stake for saying this, but I want to be able to tick off F1. In a perfect world, it would be F1, B3, F3, Standing 3, 21 and (Grundy Status) 114. I know all of that won't happen, but a man can dream.

Just give me F1 ticks. (and 114, please Paulo:cool:).

I mean ticking off 6 frame low pokes is hype, and the ever-so-memorable mind game of ticking off B1 and B1,4, but most of the ticks don't really lead to his substantial damage. To be more clear, if I read they're gonna jump out of the tick I was planning on B1 and continue with B1,2 xx EX AA grab I'm gonna net, I think, 40% for 1 bar and 3 Sun Stacks? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the damage, and 40% is a scary situation that makes your opponent either spend 2 bars and that stamina or be about 1 more combo from losing the round/match, but that's his best, and really only case scenario. B1, 4 is like what? An EX Sunstone if they jump after the 4? Best case scenario? Seems like the same for every other option, except 114 (and I'll get to that.) I don't know, I just feel this is an incredibly narrow grappler experience.

It's because of that damn atrocious grab recovery. Yeah, I know, I shouldn't be able to whiff grabs and be safe, but you have enough time to hang on that damn vine in the jungle, sway a little bit, make animal noises, and then punish. It's ridiculous. And yeah, you get great frame advantage off such a fast poke, but what do you get off the frame advantage? Possible combo? A setup into B1 xx Sun Choke? You're back into the narrow Sun Choke tick groove again.

1 is a high and 11 whiffs on a good section of the cast (end the sexism). It just all feels narrow to me. I feel like opening up another avenue where your opponent is scared of trying to escape the tick would be great for Kotal. F1 does this. That move give me a semi. That move is such a good footsie tool - covers great distance, pretty fast, and leads to a huge chunk of their life bar. It would be such a threat to do F1 xx Sun Choke and make someone piss their pants in fright, because F1, B2 is going to crush them if they guess wrong or don't have a bar. Think of it as a Waldstein assault command grab, but on the ground (terrible example lol).

Kotal needs help in other areas of his character design, but this is specifically for Sun God. I think Sun God is a great variation, and the recent damage buffs, AA grab buff, and frame advantage on Sun Choke were awesome, but I wish he wasn't as narrow - in terms of his tick throw game.

And 114 because.....

:cool:

...It's bright out here in the sun.

(Also, blowing up blockstrings with gaps with EX Sun Choke is is probably one of the most rewarding moments this game has to offer)
You can always do B1 on block into D1 B12 EX anti air throw if you think they will jump. Punishing their movements is not a problem whatsoever.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
It's not about having a problem with punishing their movements, it's about how narrow I feel it is.
That's how grapplers play, most are very one dimensional. You have the option of another variation or another character in Kano, who has footsies, zoning, antizoning and a command grab.

On a note, 114 being tick throwable wouldn't be that good consider 1 into sun choke is pretty much free because people always expect 114 air throw.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
That's how grapplers play, most are very one dimensional. You have the option of another variation or another character in Kano, who has footsies, zoning, antizoning and a command grab.
You seem against my idea, and I'd like to know why. F1 being "tickable" is not a huge stretch in my eyes.

On a note, 114 being tick throwable wouldn't be that good consider 1 into sun choke is pretty much free because people always expect 114 air throw.
I think it won't be huge, but it most certainly wouldn't be bad. Your only chance is to land a standing 1 is from a jump in punch or if your opponent is stand blocking (which is not really feasible as is everyone is trying to lower dat profile to make shit whiff. Also, a large majority of the cast, mostly females, can just duck the 11) It would operate just like Grundy's 112 tick setup.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
No bloodgods where seen in TCW. I havent even seen a sungod.
I feel in this game armor moves are so important that your just making it harder for yourself to not pick wargod. The buffs where cool but honestly it didnt change that much except maybe for sungod.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
You seem against my idea, and I'd like to know why. F1 being "tickable" is not a huge stretch in my eyes.

I think it won't be huge, but it most certainly wouldn't be bad. Your only chance is to land a standing 1 is from a jump in punch or if your opponent is stand blocking (which is not really feasible as is everyone is trying to lower dat profile to make shit whiff. Also, a large majority of the cast, mostly females, can just duck the 11) It would operate just like Grundy's 112 tick setup.
You can't duck 1 off of a D1 on hit IIRC and you will land jumps on several characters.

I'm not disagreeing with it being tickable, I'm disagreeing with you wanting it so for the wrong reasons.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
You can't duck 1 off of a D1 on hit IIRC and you will land jumps on several characters.
This I can't comment on because my lame roommates are watching True Blood and I can't use the X1, and I believe his jump ins on block are 0

I'm not disagreeing with it being tickable, I'm disagreeing with you wanting it so for the wrong reasons.
And what are the "right" reasons? Because I want more expansive gameplay from a character I love it's wrong? Qwark, my dude, no offense, but I feel like you argue for the sake of arguing sometimes

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
This I can't comment on because my lame roommates are watching True Blood and I can't use the X1, and I believe his jump ins on block are 0

And what are the "right" reasons? Because I want more expansive gameplay from a character I love it's wrong? Qwark, my dude, no offense, but I feel like you argue for the sake of arguing sometimes
Jump-in frame data does not matter, it's still + just like in every NRS game made in the past 6 years.

You basically argued that "F1 should be tickable because this char feels one dimensional and I want to punish better".

I feel like opening up another avenue where your opponent is scared of trying to escape the tick would be great for Kotal. F1 does this. That move give me a semi. That move is such a good footsie tool - covers great distance, pretty fast, and leads to a huge chunk of their life bar. It would be such a threat to do F1 xx Sun Choke and make someone piss their pants in fright, because F1, B2 is going to crush them if they guess wrong or don't have a bar.
I already explained you can do exactly what you wanted with B1 and you replied with

It's not about having a problem with punishing their movements, it's about how narrow I feel it is.
So, because it feels narrow to you, the character must be buffed in that specific way out of all possible things that could be done. No. There are way better things this character could have other than F1 being tick throw cancellable.

Again, if you want to play a less narrow feeling character, play Kano.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Jump-in frame data does not matter, it's still + just like in every NRS game made in the past 6 years.

You basically argued that "F1 should be tickable because this char feels one dimensional and I want to punish better".

I already explained you can do exactly what you wanted with B1 and you replied with

So, because it feels narrow to you, the character must be buffed in that specific way out of all possible things that could be done. No. There are way better things this character could have other than F1 being tick throw cancellable.

Again, if you want to play a less narrow feeling character, play Kano.
Okay, I think you are misunderstanding me. Nowhere in what you quoted I stated I wanted to punish better. I can punish just fine. I just wanted another threat. That is all. I want something out of the realm of B1. What is B1's block advantage? I want to work with this example and see what's what.

Also, I even stated at the bottom of my post:

This was specifically my opinion for a Sun God buff that could possibly happen. I mentioned he needs help with his character design, but that this idea was specifically for Sun God. Don't put words in my mouth.

And I have armored through blocked jump in punches. I will test further. Perhaps, the follow up move was too slow, or something.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Okay, I think you are misunderstanding me. Nowhere in what you quoted I stated I wanted to punish better. I can punish just fine. I just wanted another threat. That is all. I want something out of the realm of B1. What is B1's block advantage? I want to work with this example and see what's what.

Also, I even stated at the bottom of my post:

This was specifically my opinion for a Sun God buff that could possibly happen. I mentioned he needs help with his character design, but that this idea was specifically for Sun God. Don't put words in my mouth.

And I have armored through blocked jump in punches. I will test further. Perhaps, the follow up move was too slow, or something.
The "punish better: part was an exaggeration, the rest of my post's points still stand.

B1 is -3 on block but unless your opponent outright punishes with armour or a fast move, frame data isn't a huge deal for kotal because of his low profile pokes I've found.

You can armour through improperly cancelled or super slow moves.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
The "punish better: part was an exaggeration, the rest of my post's points still stand.

B1 is -3 on block but unless your opponent outright punishes with armour or a fast move, frame data isn't a huge deal for kotal because of his low profile pokes I've found.

You can armour through improperly cancelled or super slow moves.
Regardless, the main point is F1. So, just so I am clear on what you feel, you don't want Sun God to have more tick throws because D1 is a better answer on B1? Am I mistaken?