What's new

Kombat Pack Reveal - Your Opinion?

Your Opinion About KP Being 3/3?

• I am Disappointed

• I am Happy About it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Raider

Noob
It was finally revealed today that KP will include 3 new MK characters. Shang Tsung, Nightwolf and Sindel. They also announced that Spawn is 4th character but there will also be 2 still unannounced "guests"... and that's my biggest problem. I am really not happy about getting 3 guest characters in the KP. I feel like 2 guests and 4 MK characters was perfectly fine. I know that they are selling, i know that a lot of player want them, i know... but i am still disappointed.

I have to add that if leaks are true, guests sound very cool this time (i still don't need Joker tho.).
But i am still disappointed about it being 3/3.

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
It was finally revealed today that KP will include 3 new MK characters. Shang Tsung, Nightwolf and Sindel. They also announced that Spawn is 4th character but there will also be 2 still unannounced "guests"...
I've only seen a Tsung trailer? is there another trailer with this information?

Invincibeast

Stay Free
I'm happy with it. Yes the guests aren't for everyone, but on the bright side those that have to wait a little longer for Fujin and Sheeva will hopefully have more fleshed out characters due to the extra time :)

I'm hype to steal some souls!

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Movie Shang is my dude. Thats all I wanted really and they nailed him imo. Nightwolf is an awesome character. Sindel is an awesome character. Spawn is voiced by Keith David who is an awesome VA (and apparently the original voice of the HBO cartoon I need to watch soon). Ash will be voiced by Campbell. He said he wasn’t but he wouldn’t let some random ruin the character. Ash will also be a great fit.

The only reason I could see people being disappointed is because the 6th character is a guest. On paper that shit is hype tho. Can’t wait to see them at e3.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Didn't vote because I feel mixed. I wouldn't say that it was great and I'm happy, but I wouldn't say that it's bad and I'm disappointed (maybe a little). I would describe it as bitter-sweet.

It's cool that the klassic ninjas that didn't make it in are "included" with Shang Tsung, but at the same time they are reusing moves and animations from other characters just to flesh out Shang's moveset. Seeing MK9 animations is a little weird, like I'm 99% sure that the Reptile slide animation was pretty much exactly the same as in MK9.

Glad we have an official confirmation on other characters in the Kombat Pack, but at the same time we didn't actually get to see any of them and for some reason they didn't confirm two of the characters (probably to reveal later so they can generate more "media dollars" or whatever).

Almost everything about the reveal had a positive and negative to it. Even things like Shang's release date, it's cool we are getting to see him now, but at the same time he isn't out until the 18th and even then that's just Early Access to Kombat Pack owners (so not everyone can get him). It's almost 3 weeks from now just for Early Access. I want NRS to take their time, but I do have to admit that it kinda sucks that it has taken this long for the reveal, only for it to be incomplete and still a while until the first character drops.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I think the marketing/promotional strategy wasn’t the best, tbh. Well Ed Boon in particular, and here’s why.

When you tweet out a picture of Rain in the midst of a Shang Tsung reveal coming soon, you’ll have people expecting one of two things. One, Rain being a playable, stand alone character. Or two, Rain being able to be morphed into by Shang and be used as an actual character. You add on to this with the gif that changed colors to match the colors of the male ninjas that are not currently present in MK11.

So, on both fronts, it can only ever lead to disappointment when you find out that the Rain picture was a picture of a move Shang has. Not that it is in itself a disappointment, but expectations are absolutely everything.

Had Boon never tweeted that picture, do you realize how much MORE hype the trailer would have been once you saw the male ninjas as moves? It would have been surprising AND NOT expected.

Not to mention you had people waiting ALL day for the trailer. That was rather annoying considering there wasn’t much transparency going on. But that isn’t really a factor into the disappointment, it just put people in sour moods.

As far as the actual DLC characters and Shang himself, I’m not necessarily disappointed at all. Shang looks great and I’m so hype for the other DLC characters, especially Nightwolf!

Gamer68

Fujin!
I think the marketing/promotional strategy wasn’t the best, tbh. Well Ed Boon in particular, and here’s why.

When you tweet out a picture of Rain in the midst of a Shang Tsung reveal coming soon, you’ll have people expecting one of two things. One, Rain being a playable, stand alone character. Or two, Rain being able to be morphed into by Shang and be used as an actual character. You add on to this with the gif that changed colors to match the colors of the male ninjas that are not currently present in MK11.

So, on both fronts, it can only ever lead to disappointment when you find out that the Rain picture was a picture of a move Shang has. Not that it is in itself a disappointment, but expectations are absolutely everything.

Had Boon never tweeted that picture, do you realize how much MORE hype the trailer would have been once you saw the male ninjas as moves? It would have been surprising AND NOT expected.

As far as the actual DLC characters and Shang himself, I’m not necessarily disappointed at all. Shang looks great and I’m so hype for the other DLC characters, especially Nightwolf!
Yeah, NetherRealm has a huge problem spoiling their shit before revealing it.

For an example:
  • They spoiled Skarlet before the gameplay trailer (Ed respond with "OMG NO WAY" to a Skarlet cosplayer or something)
  • They spoiled Kabal before his Kombat Kast at the Reveal Event.
  • They spoiled Jade before her Kombat Kasts when all of the devs started posting green.
  • Revealed characters like Kano, Kitana, D'Vorah, etc, way before they were ready to show. They even talked about D'Vorah's moveset like the fact she could turn into a bug before they even showed it, like why?
  • Other stuff I'm not thinking about right now.
  • Now this.
They had an opportunity to surprise and blow people away with the trailer, but they spoiled it and pretty much everyone and their grandma was expecting it. It's even worse when you think about how the game has had multiple MAJOR leaks, and apparently the devs have gotten really mad about it and even threatened their employees.

So you don't want your stuff spoiled, yet it seems like every time there's something new to show, you spoil it? Lol.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the difference. The developers should be able to show things off the way that they want without it leaking online, and obviously they can make money off of these big reveals because of advertising basically. But still, I find the approach after all of this to be a very weird move from NRS.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Shang Tsung looks cool until you realize that his tournament variations will probably not include all the cool shit from the trailer.
Yeah, I mentioned how that was one of my worries in the gameplay trailer thread.

Pretty much every character's trailer and Kombat Kast will highlight an awesome move, but then it turns out it isn't in the Kompetitive variations. They hyped D'Vorah's bug form multiple times but it wasn't in her variations. They hyped up the Great Kung Lao move, again, not in any of the variations.

I'm expecting some of the ninja moves won't be in his tournament variations or something.

The fact it's 3/3 is disappointing, specially considering Shang Tsung is barely his own character with that fatal blow lol BUT I'm happy about Sindel and Nightwolf.

I can't wait for Shang Tsung, I finally have a main.

I'm worried for Sindel though, I believe she's going to look like she belongs in a retirement home so that we have representation for grandmas. And in a weird twist of fate, she's going to be the only one that wears something real sexy.

D

Deleted member 35141

So I hated all the guest characters in every NRS game but this is totally different.
Spawn is one of my favorite comic book characters of alltime and just thinking of the possibilities with his chains or cape.
Ash is my favorite horror icon, hopefully its bruce campbell voicing him.

As for the MK characters tsung looked pretty great, nightwolf is always and sindel meh.
Where are the mk4 and 3D era characters though

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
Overall really happy with it! I’m kinda indifferent with back to back charcters with chainsaws but ash could be better than leatherface

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
I can't wait for Shang Tsung, I finally have a main.

I'm worried for Sindel though, I believe she's going to look like she belongs in a retirement home so that we have representation for grandmas. And in a weird twist of fate, she's going to be the only one that wears something real sexy.
Lol what weird statement I think she will look young sindel

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I started screaming "YES, YESSSSS!!!" when he morphed into Raiden, I woke people up. Having that and having different specials for different ninja is hype. Super impressed. I do hope we get to use the older skin in fights though.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Hopefully three guests now means less in the inevitable KP2. Get the majority of the guests out of the way while the casuals are still hooked, bring in classics like Fujin and Sheeva to appease the hardcore fans still putting money and time into the game.