What's new

Kombat League skill level seems much higher

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Hey, just wanted to get everyone's opinion of the latest KL. First, I'm really enjoying this mode! Second, I'm noticing that this time around, players are playing at a much higher level. I've faced people with just Kombatant level rank that damn near stole the set away and some that did lol!

I really love that aspect of the game mode, as I never know what my opponents can really do just based on points/rank. One downside to playing KL is that moves that are generally unsafe become artificially safe thanks to the input delay online.

I faced quite a few really good players this past week and ran into only one real jerk who found it necessary to make fun of my gamer tag and bad mouth me in Spanish the entire time. He took the first game and called me everything but a child of God lol! Needless to say, I took the following two games convincingly and during those games, he was silent until he called me a son of a bitch in Spanish after he lost. Needless to say, even he was really good.

I'm also noticing that at the higher ranks, the common characters that you normally see such as Scorpion and Sub Zero give way to Erron Black, Kabal, Jacqui, Sonya Kung Lau and Lui Kang.. Learning these match-ups has been a huge help in leveling me up a bit. I don't want to get completely bodief at EVO this year lol!

Anyone else notice a skill improvement in yourself and your opponents this time around in KL?

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
It's simply that KL reset the win/loss and, basically, ignore skill level.
I can be matched against Ninjakilla even if I'm not and never be at his level and lose miserably.

I don't think that's a good idea to do KL like that.
It makes the grind less enjoyable and, in the long time, could be the reason why lot of people are gonna drop the game.

The matchmaking simply doesn't work.

DeftMonk

Noob
It's simply that KL reset the win/loss and, basically, ignore skill level.
I can be matched against Ninjakilla even if I'm not and never be at his level and lose miserably.

I don't think that's a good idea to do KL like that.
It makes the grind less enjoyable and, in the long time, could be the reason why lot of people are gonna drop the game.

The matchmaking simply doesn't work.
kombat league matchmaking is fine its like a tournament. When you enter pools you might run into ninja killer. Shit happens.

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
kombat league matchmaking is fine its like a tournament. When you enter pools you might run into ninja killer. Shit happens.
Well, if that's their purpose, I think it works pretty well.
But for me, it's very frustrating and I found myself enjoying Kasual Kompetitive better even if I play with better players.
I don't earn or lose anything but the fun comes first, for sure.

To each their own...

Yeah, i can't see me grinding that mutch this season, every fight is "eye of the tiger" or "push it to the limits" stuff, it's like Riddick or Rambo is right behind that bush, a bush with shitty wifi connection. It's all or nothing. People will spam, people will counterpick, people will abuse the same safe string until your finger just release the block button because he want to play the game too, be prepared to do the same or say bye to your points.

GothamInGray

Hanzo Main
I initially thought the 1-month season is too short but now I like it because I'm thinking of using 1 character per season. Since we don't have char-specific ranks, a short season would be great because you can just try your new character without worrying about destroying your rank/record.
I'm approaching it the same way. Hitting the grind with a new character each time (until probably like season 6) until I have the online experience with them all to feel comfortable jumping around.

DeftMonk

Noob
I initially thought the 1-month season is too short but now I like it because I'm thinking of using 1 character per season. Since we don't have char-specific ranks, a short season would be great because you can just try your new character without worrying about destroying your rank/record.
thats an interesting idea.

DeftMonk

Noob
Yeah, i can't see me grinding that mutch this season, every fight is "eye of the tiger" or "push it to the limits" stuff, it's like Riddick or Rambo is right behind that bush, a bush with shitty wifi connection. It's all or nothing. People will spam, people will counterpick, people will abuse the same safe string until your finger just release the block button because he want to play the game too, be prepared to do the same or say bye to your points.
if they are doing the same shit game has mechanics to deal with it just go lab it out.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I’m actually doing much better this time around. I’m like 14-8. I don’t know if I’m getting better or getting matched with easier people lol. Probably both.

if they are doing the same shit game has mechanics to deal with it just go lab it out.
Yeah i labbed some thing about the most played character and that's it, i am enjoying the overall wackiness plus i am not that mutch invested to seriously lab and study everything for different reasons. I like the jungle that KL is right now (for 2 or 3 matches x day lol)

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
The record system resets every KL but it combines with your original rank record at the end.

To me it felt like the matchmaking was better tuned. When I started in KL S1 I could go on big streaks and mostly faced people who had no fucking idea what they were doing, and now in S2 I went 1-9 before picking up the slack.

Seems like it remembered how well I did last season and matched me mostly with people who did well, too.

I mean it sucks that you have to grind just as hard as somebody who just rolls his face over the buttons, but at least I get very engaging matches.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Haven’t noticed a difference. I took just under a month break from the game, and still it seems the same. Actually I’ve started off much better than last season in fact. Also, still see the same handful of characters. I have noticed that there’s far more Liu Kangs than ever. He’s like the new Scorpion.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
@mastermalone I think it may be less that the skill of the players have increased, and more that because the ranks reset, all the good players have to come down and fight through it all again. It also could be that after the first season the less skilled players may just be drifting away from the mode, and that by default would only leave the stronger players.

IDK. It is just a thought. There is a lot to say about this game's focus on making players better over all as well. All the tutorials, the better match making, and just the fact that we are 3 months in, all could be helping to up the skill level of the player base.

DeftMonk

Noob
Well, if that's their purpose, I think it works pretty well.
But for me, it's very frustrating and I found myself enjoying Kasual Kompetitive better even if I play with better players.
I don't earn or lose anything but the fun comes first, for sure.

To each their own...
I take back what I just said. I am master rank and just got matched up with an apprectice on his first match. Poor fucker.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Yeah, I started out 2-0 and ended up 7-5 by the end of the night and got to Kombatant. I wasn't expecting it to be that hard until later on. Needless to say, I went to a room and played some scrubs to boost my confidence again.
I started 6-0 and got to 58/60. I do that confidence boost thing all the time too lol
I started 5-0 and I'm now like 15-12 lmao

So I feel ya