What's new

Kombat League skill level seems much higher

The single player content and overall glossiness of the game saves it from being one of those games one waits to get until it's dirt cheap.

The online is terrible and the fighting system does not help the situation either. When they do patch the game it will have to be a real doosey.

As it is if people want PVP there's better choices out there. They'd probably even be better off playing Teleport Fighter 5 heh.
Quite the opposite. The single player is complete shit in this game.
Honestly what single player content? Unlocking the 12th recolor of the same costume by grinding a dozen unremarkable towers? Farming koins for the shrine by not actually playing the game? Refreshing the Krypt for the 10th time to waste 2 hours of your life opening all chests which only drop augments/consumables even though you're missing half of the concept art in game but well you're shit out of luck because the Krypt has diminishing returns?

Yeah great fucking content.

If I regret anything is wasting so much time on that trash and not labbing enough and not kicking enough ass online.

This game is incredibly fun in multiplayer and complete trash in single player. Basically the complete opposite of any other Mortal Kombat game I've played in my life.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
The single player content and overall glossiness of the game saves it from being one of those games one waits to get until it's dirt cheap.

The online is terrible and the fighting system does not help the situation either. When they do patch the game it will have to be a real doosey.

As it is if people want PVP there's better choices out there. They'd probably even be better off playing Teleport Fighter 5 heh.
From your posts, I am 100% certain you’re the worst player on this entire forum.

Gaxkang

Banned
Quite the opposite. The single player is complete shit in this game.
Honestly what single player content? Unlocking the 12th recolor of the same costume by grinding a dozen unremarkable towers? Farming koins for the shrine by not actually playing the game? Refreshing the Krypt for the 10th time to waste 2 hours of your life opening all chests which only drop augments/consumables even though you're missing half of the concept art in game but well you're shit out of luck because the Krypt has diminishing returns?

Yeah great fucking content.

If I regret anything is wasting so much time on that trash and not labbing enough and not kicking enough ass online.

is game is incredibly fun in multiplayer and complete trash in single player. Basically the complete opposite of any other Mortal Kombat game I've played in my life.
Remembering the days when SFV launched as essentially an online multiplayer game only, having towers and unlocking custom things is something one would have pined for.
NRS did improve some from Injustice 2 in not having things random.

Tekken 7 by all accounts should have had a Tekken Force, instead it had bare minimal single player stuff and a paid bowling mode.

Some folks didn't like the visual novel sorta thing in Soul Calibur 6...but it was there, at least. I liked it, and i knew they didn't have a huge budget available. They made the effort.

The actual playthru of the Krypt is what should be critically judged, not the after portion you refer to. It would have been better without random chests, tho.

Offline PVP may well be better...but I can tell the online PVP is terrible and easily places MK11 amongst the worst gameplay.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I felt what y’all were talking about tonight.. I won 1 out of my 6 matches lol. I came really close a few games but execution errors cost me the matches. They were fun matches though. A few scorpions to end of course, 2 Kanos, a kotal and a kollector.

I finally beat a kotal, that was my one win. I know he’s the worst character or whatever but I was hyped and proud of that shit. I always get wrecked by him. That was a really close fun match. Kollector was close too. Kanos smoked me. Scorpion was scorpion.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I haven't dived in yet. I am doing what I did last season and wait a while so all you killers can climb up to god/elder god first lol

It's not necessarily the skill level but it seems that tactics came into play with Season 2. Better players wait for us, averages, to move up then make use of us to get out of the lower tiers quickly with some 100-150 points for their win.

In Season 1 I started on PS4 then I switched to PC. I went to Demi God on both platforms but I had a much better record on PC because I could score some nice points from players ranked above me at that time while PS4 was a more balanced experience.

In Season 2 I've done it the other way round. I've started on PC and it gave me a much harder path. TBH PC matcmaking is awful compared to Season 1, 80% of the time I played against people ranked below me so I could gain 10-20 points and lost 89-100. In Season 1 I've never played against someone who was THREE ranks below me, now I was matched up with an Apprentice when I was Champion who had 0 matches but a higher win odds than me, a 3 set win streak at that time and I lost 100 points on that. Felt wonderful...

Another 10% was against players who were ranked above me with 64%-98% win odds and they were better, no surprise. I could steal a few sets but I lost most of them. And the final 10% was against people in the same rank with similar skill level where I performed as I should. To sum up, it is a much more unbalanced experience this time and it's nowhere near to that fair matchmaking NRS promised.

An unfortunate PC feature is pulling plug or break connection to a point where I don't even get my points for a hard earned win.

I played on PS4 yesterday and matchmaking is much better there, I played significantly less time against players who were ranked above or below me and never against someone with more than one rank difference.

Oh, and Season 2 introduced pulling plug during a Brutality on both systems! Really?! What's the hurry, a pizza in the oven? FFS...

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
The fact that it seems that they kept the data for matchmaking from the previous season but still decided to let everyone start at the lowest rank confuses me. It makes for a much harder time progressing through the ranks. I know there are rewards locked to ranks in KL. Though would it not be better to bump everyone down two or three ranks from what they were before at the start of a new season? So there’s still somewhat of a distribution of players in different ranks and those player will be able to play someone more at their skill level and most of all the points progression will be largely the same as before. How do other games work?

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I noticed that. S1 I wasn't having issues till Demi God and now im Kombatant going below 30% in S2.
Its a good thing. I see it as an opportunity to learn MU's and LvL-Up.
I hope this season I'll be faced vs:
D'Vorah, Frost, Johnny, Kitana, Kano, Shao, Kotal, since I'm using Kotal this season.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Games are a lot closer for the most part, but some are just straight-up murder, perhaps they were trying to start the KL season 2 with a new main. Does it seem like the matching system is better than we thought?

Vagrant

Noob
Weirdly enough, I’m at Grand Master now and the most trouble I had was in Kombatant. I lost like 8 in a row at one point. I wonder if they do take your previous season rank into account as others said earlier.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
Update: currently 12-7. Hoping to maintain this winning record, but if not, just take it as a learning experience and watch all my losses to see where I can improve.

SeymorSlash216

Kahn Man
In Kombatant atm 13-4, it's a dice roll from good kotals to online scorps to Geras' that d1 and immediately throw. I'm gonna keep grinding with 5 sets a day until I get that Raiden skin though.

Am I the only one who feels like KL makes you a worse player in some respects? The type of confident chaos some players employ in KL makes me feel less in control of a match than I normally would.

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
After 200 games on ranked, the only difference I noticed is that I have only seen 13 characters being played.
Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sonya, Geras, Erron Black, Cassie, Jacqui, Sub, Cetrion, Kitana, Baraka, Jade and Shang.
I've played quite a bit of Skarlet and Kabal and come across many players using those characters too. Kung Lao is also extremely popular lately.

The Slaj Jazz

TIckle my sweet salty nips
I barely play ranked but I've been trying to do so more since they have a Kollector skin this time. My matches this season are considerably more difficult than the last I dont recall playing with any "noobs" at all. Think im 15-5 or 7 right now thanks to Cassie :/

Mid F3, pokes out the ass, 50/50 grabs, possible amplified teleport into combo. Take your pick
If he wants to waste a bar for a throw then let him. Almost everything Scorpion does is punishable. Just get in his face and Scorpion is in trouble, or wait for him to make a mistake and punish him hard.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The reason that the skill level went up is that 1500 players are getting ready for EVO and 1000 of them are grinding Kombat League in addition to whatever sets they’re playing.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Anyone else notice a skill improvement in yourself and your opponents this time around in KL?
It’s just because everyone has been reset to the bottom resulting in players getting matches with KL1 God and up ranked players
@mastermalone I think it may be less that the skill of the players have increased, and more that because the ranks reset, all the good players have to come down and fight through it all again. It also could be that after the first season the less skilled players may just be drifting away from the mode, and that by default would only leave the stronger players.
I really think that a lot of this is actually due to EVO and how the timing of the second season coincides with a lot of serious players spending time online and really taking it more seriously this month in preparation.

I think that after the tournament we’ll see a bit of a drop off and it won’t be quite as stacked as it is now.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I really think that a lot of this is actually due to EVO and how the timing of the second season coincides with a lot of serious players spending time online and really taking it more seriously this month in preparation.

I think that after the tournament we’ll see a bit of a drop off and it won’t be quite as stacked as it is now.
Well, that explains it. Honestly, that's exactly what I've been doing. Getting ready for EVO the best way that I can. KL is the best alternative I have to finding an offline event somewhere. Must be the same for many others.

xKMMx

Banned
The thing is that you have people of all skill levels that all have to start at the same level and climb through the same ranks. So its entirely possible you will run into the occasional bad ass in the low ranks.
I have noticed that at this point in the league I'm at master and most of my matches are pretty tough most likely because this is where a lot of the better players are at currently.
Kombat league doesn't really keep you matched all the time with players at your same skill level. Because of the rank downs happening when players lose enough it begins to filter out the lower level players and they don't progress as they are unable to get enough points together to continue leveling up.
Id say by the end of the third week or so it should level out to where the majority of people in each rank are generally in the same skill level.
Just takes time for the crm to rise to the top.