What's new

Question - Kitana Kitana Rising Fans Overpowered

Belial

Noob
It's more than the 3 you mentioned. Triborg avoids it as well, from what I've been told.
Maybe instead of being told you try it out yourself first. Just make sure you record it as a true blockstring on standing before "escaping". Because most people saying they found an "escape" just didnt bother to record it properly.

And ok even if someone finds some character or two or FIVE that can escape that due to dumb hitboxes what are the rest of the cast supposed to do?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Maybe instead of being told you try it out yourself first. Just make sure you record it as a true blockstring on standing before "escaping". Because most people saying they found an "escape" just didnt bother to record it properly.

And ok even if someone finds some character or two or FIVE that can escape that due to dumb hitboxes what are the rest of the cast supposed to do?
Anybody who has a lowered hitbox downpoke will make this shit whiff and blow her the fuck up.
For free vs her two bars.

Belial

Noob
I was of the impression that backdash has iframes
Yeah you can backdash it, but that you still have to block the followup, so its not an escape. At least not in the corner. Midscreen you have to RUN from Kitana everytime. How are you supposed to go at her? The "no jumping" rule is still there, armors are void. Even if you get to her somehow throat slice handles your offence nicely putting her away. Other than that she pressures you anyway she wants then sends you fullscreen to build more meter and zone.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
She can cancel from the normal rising fans without meter into ex float, she only needs to spend one bar to do it.
Fair enough.
What's stopping you from armoring right through the fans then? Or using a move that reaches its hurtbox even.

EDIT: It's Tay's video. I'm at work 'til 11 CET

You can backdash...if you can armor, you can backdash. Some characters she has to completely change the timing on to get the j2 to even connect, which grants easy escapes for them as well. If she does DP xx float j2 on Reptile without delay, she gets full combo punished with f4. Hell, Reptile just slides it and she wasted a bar trying to be cute lol.

There are answers that you weren't even trying to find.
Cyber kano just up laser this free. Then if meterburned i can get 26 . If not it's 7 percent and she is full screen were she will get zoned. Basically kitana should not do this vs Cyber kano. She just gonna waste bar and get comboed. HAHAHA. Look kitty is good but if she is the best character now we should be praising nrs

So what I'm gathering is that to escape, you can backdash (except in corner) or block her rising fans low IF your character has a low hitbox?

Last edited:

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
While I can't speak much regarding this topic since I haven't labbed it myself, let's all remember that Tarkatan rekkas were called a gimmick after NRS nerfed them the first time. While there were clearly holes in the rekka pressure, it was still amazing.

Some things to consider for this:

- What happens if Kitana does the DP into nothing? Is it something that you can react to consistently?
- What happens when Kitana does the EX float cancel into a NJK/NJP? Does she blow up the pokes/neutral duck?
- What happens when Kitana does the EX float cancel into nothing and chooses to land and go back into pressure?
- If you choose to backdash midscreen, how does the footsies play out with Kitana's newly buffed F2? Can she start throwing fans again?

All things that need to be considered from both sides.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
like who?
Sub Zero, Tremor, Predator, Cassie just off the top of my head. Sure, they're not doing 30% chip block strings, but they do have plenty of ways to keep you there and/or mix you up. Kitana's block string is the easiest thing in the world to block with no threat of full comboable 50/50 situations. The only things that can trip you up are a B2 after the jip or a throw, which equates to spending a bar for 14%ish damage and a knockdown.

There is no answer to this string, only armor that deals 10-15% damage while taking 5% and pushing Kitana away where she can build more meter. If you have no meter game over. If you use armor, well, still great for her.
"There is no answer to this string" is the new "I have no options."

So your saying this is fine ?
Yes. It's EX BF3 that isn't fine, imo. If you get in on Kitana, you "should" be rewarded. That's why she's been designed to be ass up close up to this point. She's been a character that pressures well, but still can't handle being pressured herself. Reminds me of SF4 Cammy in that respect. Having a bail out move to negate all that isn't right given everything else she has now.

As of right now; block, backdash, or armor. Those are your options until you, or someone else, finds another way (which new ways are being found almost daily). Even if nothing else is ever found, to say it's inescapable is ludicrous. It "may" be inescapable if you're cornered with no meter, but as any main of a corner based character will tell you, if you get put in that situation, it's usually your own fault.

Your posts come off as personal rants more than anything else. You say there's no escape, someone shows you a way, then proceed to say it doesn't work or, in the case of armor, act as if stopping someone's offense, dealing 10-16%, and reseting the neutral/getting your turn for one bar isn't good enough. Normally you'd have to pay 2 bars to reset the neutral and for 0% damage no less.

Rozalin1780

Some things to consider for this:

- What happens if Kitana does the DP into nothing? Is it something that you can react to consistently?
- What happens when Kitana does the EX float cancel into a NJK/NJP? Does she blow up the pokes/neutral duck?
- What happens when Kitana does the EX float cancel into nothing and chooses to land and go back into pressure?
- If you choose to backdash midscreen, how does the footsies play out with Kitana's newly buffed F2? Can she start throwing fans again?

All things that need to be considered from both sides.
- It's very unsafe and has a lot of recovery. Very react-able, but "could" throw someone off if you condition them.

- In my experience, njp/k whiffs most of the time especially if done with no delay. Also the delay needed to make NJP/K hit OH and not mid seems longer than the delay needed for JIP/K to do the same. Could be wrong though.

- This to me is even more unsafe than not cancelling DB2. The recovery is quite long, and since this is where the gap in the string is anyway, people will be more inclined to press a button at this moment.

- Someone else could answer this better than me probably. It "feels" as if things are exactly neutral like when Kitana lands a parry. You are however definitely in range of F2.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
It's 44%, pretty much impossible to block. And a much better spend than 40% chip if someone decides to be stupid enough to stand block through this entire string.
Wtffff

NO ONE gets hit by that lol. If you have 3 bars, the moment you do b3, any competent player is going to block high. She has no low after a b3 so there is no reason to continue blocking low after a b3.

B3 is so week 1 lol. B1 is the way to go. B1 into 4/xray is a legit mixup. B14 into 3/xray is a legit mixup. Hell, even 3 into d4/xray is a better mixup lol.

Rozalin1780

Wtffff

NO ONE gets hit by that lol. If you have 3 bars, the moment you do b3, any competent player is going to block high. She has no low after a b3 so there is no reason to continue blocking low after a b3.

B3 is so week 1 lol. B1 is the way to go. B1 into 4/xray is a legit mixup. B14 into 3/xray is a legit mixup. Hell, even 3 into d4/xray is a better mixup lol.
To be fair, Sonic caught Reo with it 2 or 3 times in that vid Reo posted. It IS hard to block, but not impossible, especially if you're expecting it.

Regardless, you're right about B1 being the better option.