What's new

Kitana General Discussion

Wait, are we saying broke or potato? Which one? because if I read it as potato, I mean, her gameplan is so simple compared to a lot of other characters I have looked into. Lets be realistic: that has only slightly changed since the Ultimate patch. And the only thing that really changed is now you have to see if you hit confirmed and you don't get to steal turns as much as you did before with razors. Oh, and you actually have to deal with breakaway/wakeup mindgames like a majority of the cast.

Where is the evidence that she is "potato" and "broke"? Because Foxy is beating players inferior to him in the European Kombat League? LOL. By this logic, is Robocop "potato" and "broke" too?

The irony is that when she was arguably top tier pre-patch, every high level player with the exception of Tekken Master ignored the character.

Nonetheless, it will be interesting to observe how this Kitana up play develops, although you and I already know how.
I remember Dragon toyed with her a bit, usually as a last attempt when Cetrion wasn't working out. I don't believe he ever won with her though.

Speaking of which, again, I don't follow the scene like I used to, and it looks like the Pro Competition is the regular tournaments right now. I actually got about an hour last night, and of course recognize Tweedy and BioHazard, but I had no idea who anyone else was.

What happened to Dragon, SonicFox, etc.? Are these online tournaments not really worth it for them, or did they move on to other games?

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Just like they all picked up Mileena? lol
All the Edenian girls, they already completed the Jade and Mileena phases and gotta complete the Kitana rotation lol.

It's also silly because Sindel is still the best of the Edenians in my opinion. Cetrion being so good and being ignored to cap about Kitana and Mileena is hella wild to me.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Where is the evidence that she is "potato" and "broke"? Because Foxy is beating players inferior to him in the European Kombat League? LOL. By this logic, is Robocop "potato" and "broke" too?

The irony is that when she was arguably top tier pre-patch, every high level player with the exception of Tekken Master ignored the character.

Nonetheless, it will be interesting to observe how this Kitana up play develops, although you and I already know how.
Indeed, the moment they have to fight a Jacqui or Liu, even a Kotal, their minds will be immediately changed.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
Am i the only kitana main that outside of all the buffs that she could get, doesn't care much about the b231 string whiffing? I'd much rather have an 11F b1 and proper movement.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Am i the only kitana main that outside of all the buffs that she could get, doesn't care much about the b231 string whiffing? I'd much rather have an 11F b1 and proper movement.
If she had an 11f b1 or real movement I’d still be annoyed about b2 whiffs but at least she’d be more well rounded. That’s my whole issue with her...everything she has besides fan tosses, lift, ass, and half-blood stance is kinda mediocre.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I did not care pre-patch when you could always do b+2 into razors, which would do very good damage as a grounded hit and an AA. I imagine the whiffing is more of an issue now.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
I very well understand why people get confused or mad whenever b231 whiffs. I get it fully, i get discouraged too sometimes. However, in my most honest opinion, i truly do think that the best way to buff kitana is to make her B1 and to give her faster movement. Why? Because as much as we would like to b231 all day because it's our best tool for a ranged mid, using a faster b1 along with better movement would allow us to rely less on it. There are already many ways to counter it.
B2-> Razor
B2-> Upfan
B2-> Fan (risky)
B2 alone to test the waters.

What I don't agree with, is when Stephanie said that it's working as intended and we should punish with b14. Her b1 hasnt got the best range and you have to be either space or frame perfect to get punishes b231 would get. Giving her a faster b1 and better movement would solve that and truly live up to Stephanie's words. Generally, kitana has to block a lot because of how slow her mids are.

As long as she gets better movement and a faster b1, I'll be fine with the whiffs. If not, they are truly bad game design like people say.

cannoli_kahn

Avid Devs Hater
I very well understand why people get confused or mad whenever b231 whiffs. I get it fully, i get discouraged too sometimes. However, in my most honest opinion, i truly do think that the best way to buff kitana is to make her B1 and to give her faster movement. Why? Because as much as we would like to b231 all day because it's our best tool for a ranged mid, using a faster b1 along with better movement would allow us to rely less on it. There are already many ways to counter it.
B2-> Razor
B2-> Upfan
B2-> Fan (risky)
B2 alone to test the waters.

What I don't agree with, is when Stephanie said that it's working as intended and we should punish with b14. Her b1 hasnt got the best range and you have to be either space or frame perfect to get punishes b231 would get. Giving her a faster b1 and better movement would solve that and truly live up to Stephanie's words. Generally, kitana has to block a lot because of how slow her mids are.

As long as she gets better movement and a faster b1, I'll be fine with the whiffs. If not, they are truly bad game design like people say.
Thing is, even without the b231 whiff, it doesn't move Kitana higher up the tierlist in ANY way. There are still far superior characters that can do all the playstyle Kitana has and more. You like faking jump-ins with flutter? Kabal and Cassie can do that. You want zoning? Jade, Cetrion, Shang Tsung all day. You want pressure? Well goodbye Edenian razors.

Kitana does not hold up on her own at all. People in the kommunity, casual players and pros alike have been trying to make her work only to drop her for someone else. It's not like me or anyone wants her to be a top tier, but goddamn her entire design is just unthinkable. The only saving grace to her is the fact that there are worse chars than Kitana (Sonya, Robocop, Mileena, Shao Kahn, Skarlet).

Stephanie defending Kitana's design is just proof that she either took no part in the gameplay designing or the dev team isn't working. "working as intended" bruh as if having b231 not whiff would make Kitana any closer to being kompetitively viable... while Cetrion is running amok w her insane amount of tools. I wonder how many hours and effort they put into making 21222, 3212, Edenian fade and Dancing Fans just to have them as useless files in the game. GG devs.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Yeah my whole thing with the princess is that I really don’t ever have a good gameplay reason to play her use her. Most of my time is split between Frost (my main), Mileena, Rain, and Kitana. Other than Mileena’s stubby b1 whiffing there is never a time where I think to myself “man I wish I picked Kitana” when using any of the former three.

They can either delete the low and make her string become B21
Or allow Kitana to cancel her string by pressing L2 (Sonya already has a similar string)
But asking for any meaningful changes is too much at this point I guess. They don't even bother buffing Shao Khan properly

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
It’s two videos spliced together. Quite obviously too haha.

I do like the concept though.
Oh shit, you right. I was so appalled by the direction NRS ultimately took with Kitana I didn’t even notice the clipping

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Out of curiosity, what do you guys think is the best build without half-blood stance?

Low Fan and Ground War are good, but I feel like the rest of the options are kinda meh.

cannoli_kahn

Avid Devs Hater
Out of curiosity, what do you guys think is the best build without half-blood stance?

Low Fan and Ground War are good, but I feel like the rest of the options are kinda meh.
1. Advanced Fan Flutter + Piercing Dagger (my main var)
or
2. Low Fan, Ground War and Fan Flutter
or
3. Edenian Twist, Ground War and Low Fan (cheap af variation imo but gets the work done for a lot of ppl, I only use this against Erron Black and other braindead close-range characters)

Those are the best ones. There's really not much else you can do with Kitana given the garbage moves the devs gave her. Alternatively, you could have a slot with Upward Fan Toss so you can deal with Slight Gas Kabal, Fujin, and other jumpy/air moves opponents.

Last edited:

Benlo

PrayforSareena
Months after, I'm still trying new builds... but I always end up with fan-fare, or fan-flutter+ground war+low fan : /

13 abilities but so few interesting possibilites, that's frustrating.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Months after, I'm still trying new builds... but I always end up with fan-fare, or fan-flutter+ground war+low fan : /

13 abilities but so few interesting possibilites, that's frustrating.
That's kinda why I have my tier list for Kitana's special moves ranked from "always use" to worthless. In most scenarios, it's the "always use" options that make the somewhat useable moves, well.. Usable?

Ive been using the full b2 string when I have breakaway. That's been my new gameplan against people who jump at unruly times. The characters that armor break i rarely use it when my health is at kill range.