What's new

Kitana General Discussion

I honestly think Kitana was thrown into the game late as hell with no real gameplay design laid out for her.

“We’re out of ideas for specials! Give us something quick!”
“Throw some Mileena shit on her, but make it different enough so if we wanna add her later on we can.”
I'm wouIdn't be surprised if you were right at all. For some other charatcers as well.

I still maintain that the Variation system in the game feels insanely unfinished compared to Mortal Kombat X, and that the game released too soon. A six month delay would have polished things up so much better.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
Stephanie mentioned something about variations at the end of the stream. Hopefully they change fanfare for the better!

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I'm wouIdn't be surprised if you were right at all. For some other charatcers as well.

I still maintain that the Variation system in the game feels insanely unfinished compared to Mortal Kombat X, and that the game released too soon. A six month delay would have polished things up so much better.
I think the variation system makes sense when considered it was likely formed on top of the alterations done for IJ2. They are basically the same thing, but they let preset builds into the competitive area vs just keeping them totally out of competitive play.

They probably feel less fully variant, not because of time restrictions, but because they aren't fine tuned variations for a character ; only one combination in a much more flexible system.

I think the variation system makes sense when considered it was likely formed on top of the alterations done for IJ2. They are basically the same thing, but they let preset builds into the competitive area vs just keeping them totally out of competitive play.

They probably feel less fully variant, not because of time restrictions, but because they aren't fine tuned variations for a character ; only one combination in a much more flexible system.
I've never played Injustice 2 (I personally have no interest in super hero fighting games), so it's certainly possible.

Regardless, I still feel the Variation system in this game is a mess compared to Mortal Kombat XL; it absolutely lacks unity.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I've never played Injustice 2 (I personally have no interest in super hero fighting games), so it's certainly possible.

Regardless, I still feel the Variation system in this game is a mess compared to Mortal Kombat XL; it absolutely lacks unity.
I on the other hand had massive interest in a super hero fighting game though I didn't really enjoy it much. Part of it I think was that they took variations, and created the loadouts. It's the exact same thing we see here where you take a character and assign moves to them that replace some things with others. The RPG aspect of the whole game meant that stuff was completely quarantined to a casual group. Competitive was it's own thing and you were stuck with the stock character which could feel a bit like the base character. You paid the negative price the system existing, while getting to enjoy none of it.

Here they just rebranded the thing and let it bleed into the competitive side so we actually get to use it and people can kind of think of them like variations when they really aren't the same thing we had in MKX. It does offer some potential for more options if they can figure it out. Like if they rotated in customs KL seasons, or made competitive bases that you got to maybe swap one, low value move for others. Letting a degree of customability in without blowing the whole thing wide open. Like what if Fan Fare was actually just Air Flutter and Ground War, and you could swap Royal Protection for something else?

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Here's another theory: New moves across all variations.

We all know that characters in this game are missing signature moves; Sonya's Kiss+ Cartwheel, Baraka's Blade Spin, Cassie's Backflip kick, etc.

Maybe they're expanding the moveset?

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
That’d be a lot of work, considering so many of the moves already in the game are unviable. I’m just hoping they balance everyone’s moves (at least to a useable state) and finally open up customs.

The problem with Kitana in this game is a bunch of fanboy devs and kitana haters were allowed to work on her. In both mk9 and mkx kitana haters cried about her fans(fans lol), this game they went head over hills to make it harder to combo off her fans, and upward fans equipped means you have to sacrifice any sort of mix up potential just for decent fan combos. They put a bunch of crap on her that makes not a tap of sense; dancing fans("In mkx she had a lot of, like, kung fu, but in this game she reminds me of a dancer" -Stephanie Brownback regarding an assassin in a game full of fighters), air piercing dagger(I can just throw a regular air fan, but this is cute so I'll have this too), edenian fade(a character with bs recovery and predictable mix-up should definitely dive close to others who aren't afflicted with stiff leg syndrome), royal protection(good luck with that second and third projectile, bitch), Dial-in strings(Fucking dial-in strings... What fucking fuck...) None of mileena's crap makes sense on her, but they did it to make mileena fans happy. IDC what ed says, mileena was a late addition. Now Kitana fans might be forced to deal with a busted 2/3 of a character because mileena fan boys on the dev team had their way with the queen.

They need to undo that dial-in crap.
-21343 should be special cancel, and knock opponent higher with slower decent. If kung laos ass can bust several u-turns for his combos, there's no excuse as to why kitana can't pop a bitch into upper orbit too.
-32121 should be special cancel, or pop up(not away) with special cancel.
-21222 should have that second 2 be a low and special cancel before the last 2, 2s because she has only one string with a low right now. If other characters can have multiple options for mix-ups, kitana can.
-Halfblood stance needs to go(Play mileena for her shyt) needs replacing with something specific to kitana. Preferably princess parry or throat Slice.
-Edenian fade should special cancel in air in place of arcing sai. The dive bombs should be enhance cancel.
-royal protection needs to go. Replace with some actual royal protection like Bounce back, or replace with sharpen.
-Dancing fans needs to go in favor of something useful. Preferably princess parry, or throat Slice.
-Retreating/Advancing flutter should add distance to retreating, change input to bf for advancing.

If they can reskin jason as terminator, add and subtract moves and move properties, save money by switching to geico; they can make proper changes to kitana.

Last edited: