What's new

Kitana General Discussion

armani

Noob
Cetrion and Johnny Cage have slow mid strings in comparison to characters such as Jacqui, Liu Kang, and Noob, yet many competitive players consider Cetrion and Johnny Cage as the two best characters in the game.
are you trolling? lol I agree, both johnny and cetrion have slow mids.. but the trade off are moves & specials that successfully compliment their arsenal. let’s talk

johnny’s f3 is one of the better advancing footsie tools in the game. it’s also an anti air, a stagger, and the multi kick followup afterwards nets him great block pressure.

his forceball travels the speed of light and has a hitbox bigger than geras’ club fist. f344xforceball puts him at the perfect position to shimmy and whiff punish you if don’t respect spacing. if you try and take your turn back, johnny can walk back and BOOM combo starter with b34

if you jump, expect an anti air. s1, and b2 insane have vertical hitboxes.

PLUS an 8 frame, low profiling d4.. which jails into f3. he forces the strike throw mixup all the time, and if he has rage charge he becomes a lot more dangerous.

cetrion has a low profiling d4 that nets you +16 on hit. if you don’t respect the spacing, eat a projectile or whiff punished with f2

to be honest, she isn’t the best midscreen but she has a million and one projectiles, if you don’t wake up correctly especially after a 213 ender you can expect to eat a fire pillar.

on block, 11 AND 112 has great pushback which sets up stagger pressure and whiff punishing. also, if you get hit with d1, s1 jails

plus a teleport, with a similar startup to scorpions in my opinion.

fb u2 is craaaazy good as well.. lol

johnny and cetrion’s design individual toolset are far superior in comparison to kitana.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
are you trolling? lol I agree, both johnny and cetrion have slow mids.. but the trade off are moves & specials that successfully compliment their arsenal. let’s talk

johnny’s f3 is one of the better advancing footsie tools in the game. it’s also an anti air, a stagger, and the multi kick followup afterwards nets him great block pressure.

his forceball travels the speed of light and has a hitbox bigger than geras’ club fist. f344xforceball puts him at the perfect position to shimmy and whiff punish you if don’t respect spacing. if you try and take your turn back, johnny can walk back and BOOM combo starter with b34

if you jump, expect an anti air. s1, and b2 insane have vertical hitboxes.

PLUS an 8 frame, low profiling d4.. which jails into f3. he forces the strike throw mixup all the time, and if he has rage charge he becomes a lot more dangerous.

cetrion has a low profiling d4 that nets you +16 on hit. if you don’t respect the spacing, eat a projectile or whiff punished with f2

to be honest, she isn’t the best midscreen but she has a million and one projectiles, if you don’t wake up correctly especially after a 213 ender you can expect to eat a fire pillar.

on block, 11 AND 112 has great pushback which sets up stagger pressure and whiff punishing. also, if you get hit with d1, s1 jails

plus a teleport, with a similar startup to scorpions in my opinion.

fb u2 is craaaazy good as well.. lol

johnny and cetrion’s design individual toolset are far superior in comparison to kitana.
I mean I agree but more so because Kitana has dial combos so you commit to everything. If they jump randomly and only your b2 hits.. Guess you're dead.

DarksydeDash

Man... As good as Highborne is..

I want some serious love to fanfare.

Im thinking of making an analysis thread of it compared to her other two because the most notable thing about it is: 1. the lack of damage even when spending a bar for air fan combos.
  1. Is the lack of a safe special move to create the stagger mind game.
  2. Is a parry for projectiles but only for the first projectile only, yet we can stack the damage buff.
If NRS does buff fanfare, they need to 100% focus on fanfare specials because anymore universal buffs would be insane.

armani

Noob
I mean I agree but more so because Kitana has dial combos so you commit to everything. If they jump randomly and only your b2 hits.. Guess you're dead.
that’s the true buff that I’m looking for honestly. it would help fanfare as well! being able to hit confirm b2 lift on jumpers would be great, and it would help her out immensely when it comes to staggering

I also wonder what buffing 21343 would do for her when it comes to block pressure and combos. she’s in an airborn state so why not let it be special cancellable

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
Man... As good as Highborne is..

I want some serious love to fanfare.

Im thinking of making an analysis thread of it compared to her other two because the most notable thing about it is: 1. the lack of damage even when spending a bar for air fan combos.
  1. Is the lack of a safe special move to create the stagger mind game.
  2. Is a parry for projectiles but only for the first projectile only, yet we can stack the damage buff.
If NRS does buff fanfare, they need to 100% focus on fanfare specials because anymore universal buffs would be insane.
Make the threeaddd

It's not working, I tried with other characters like Cassie, Geras, Jacqui..... Raptor only tested on Kung Lao (and does Kitana hold forward while doing razor?). Every character has different push back reaction vs razor, it's very inconsistent.
The best you can do is try to flawless block the first razor and punish with invincible U3 and that's it. It's very risky trying to press any other button because if razor hit you're going to eat 160 damage + chip.

I wish they finally fixed whiffing issues on b321 string. It's so fucking painful to get punished for hitting your opponent. Why does all other characters just pull back enemy into a combo when they try to jump out and not Kitana? You pretty much can jump on wake up every single time against Kitana with very little risk and high reward, that's honestly so mindblowing for me.

Last edited:

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I wish they finally fixed whiffing issues on b321 string. It's so fucking painful to get punished for hitting your opponent. Why does all other characters just pull back enemy into a combo when they try to jump out and not Kitana? You pretty much can jump on wake up every single time against Kitana with very little risk and high reward, that's honestly so mindblowing for me.
You shouldn’t be doing the string on oki AT ALL because of that. Just do b2 and if it clips them in the air, convert.

Other than that, yea it’s pretty fucking stupid. They jump, we catch their jump yet we get full combo punished for it. It makes no sense. B2 against air opponents should either splat or keep them juggled a little higher.

Last edited:
I know, id rather salty that most of the cast can just commit full string and it will lead into a full combo, while Kitana can't do fucking shit. It's almost like best option on oki is just back away and throw some fans.
Honestly having such a bad normals and pokes Kitana should have been best zoner in the game, but yet here we are trading projectiles with Liu Kangs and Johnny Cages and its always not in our favor.
Sorry for my engrish.

B2 string issue you guys said above is one of the reasons why I think Fanfare and Fearless are like low tier. No oki game at all.
In Highborn you can easily B2 razor for oki and it's actually very easy to make the razor plus on block after B2

M2Dave

Zoning Master
B2 string issue you guys said above is one of the reasons why I think Fanfare and Fearless are like low tier. No oki game at all.
In Highborn you can easily B2 razor for oki and it's actually very easy to make the razor plus on block after B2
Great idea that I never thought of. You can buffer b+2 into razors to stay safe on whiff.

I wonder how the down players of this forum will argue against this one.

DarksydeDash

Jacqui is a huge problem.. our d3 can't challenge her and our s1 and d1 trade on hit in her favor it seems. :/

gitblame

Noob
Yeah, that's true that with Highborn it's easier, since she can just do B2 razors and be safe and sound. But these days I just stopped really caring about issues with B231. I just stopped doing B231 when I am not sure they will stay on the ground, and I basically stopped getting punished for that. It's not that great string to throw. Besides Highborn and her cheap post razors // stance cancel mind games, situations after blocked B231 are not that great. Also F234 catches on OKI so I recomend using that instead.

I don't feel like Fan-fare and espiecially Fearless are low tier. Fan-fare has solid damage, great air game with fan flutter, good ground butt reversal for punishing some stuff and it's the only Kitana variation that can punish with 12 for meaningful damage. I personally try to use Fan-fare more vs Shang, Noob or Scorpion.

Fearless is slept on, imo. And probably she will be for a long time. She is one of better defensive charactrers in the game. It's the variation with biggest synergy IMO. Fan-nando combined with low fan and regular ex fan being high-mid creates nice combination for controlling space. Also this variation helps her in poking situations. Basically Kitana suffers for bad pokes syndrom. Her pokes are really minus on block and she does not have fast mid, so she is not allowed to reponse in most close range situations with other buttons than her D1, D3 and D4. With low fan, she has great tool for stealing turns and she can condition people to just sit there and wait for low fan after pokes - whcih automatically helps her with bad frame data. Yeah I know that you can flawless block ex low fan but the thing is, noone is ready to flawless block something like D4 -> ex low fan. You would have to read that. Also you cannot really os to punish regular low fan and flawless block ex low fan. To punish low fan you have to read it.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I think she beats sindel, especially fearless. The zoning enough is troublesome for her then factor in the fact that kitana is also better than her upclose and it seems pretty clear.
I feel like Royal Edenian is the best option to use against kitana since the low fireball is a decent projectile against her, but fan nado/low fan/teleport makes it pretty hard for her to utilize it. A mistimed banshee barrage gets beat by fan nado also, and it’s punishable by Ass unless done at max range
f4u3 on block is a GUARANTEED fan nado for us. She can’t jump and low fireball trades with fan nado. Only thing that beats it is amp scream (which is a KB so be careful).

thoughts?