What's new

Kitana General Discussion

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Thanks. Do you have any video on youtube or something demonstrating this? Appreciate the reply.
I doubt there are videos that analyze the razors in depth. You will have to test and practice everything in practice mode, which should be no problem considering how good Mortal Kombat 11's practice mode is.

Parasurama

Dragon
Idk about top 5, but if she is, then so be it lol. I personally don’t have her that high. I have her top 10. I think highborn still has some matches where she struggles. Erron Black for example.
I am a FIRM believer of Kitana beating Geras and Cetrion, especially highborn against Cetrion. Kang I’m still on the fence about simply because he’s Liu kang lol.

As for Fan Fare and Fearless, I wouldn’t go as far as to say they suck but I can see why you say that when comparing it to Highborn. Fan Fare has its uses in certain MUs like Scorpion while Fearless really mows down Sub. But other than that, there really isn’t a point of using them. Sucks tho because we all want fan fare to be the variation of choice but Highborn is just too good.
Why does she struggle against Erron and what are her weakness with it? How do you win in those matches - any change in strategy. Her rush down/footsies seems quite good?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Why does she struggle against Erron and what are her weakness with it? How do you win in those matches - any change in strategy. Her rush down/footsies seems quite good?
I am not too familiar with the Erron Black match up so I will defer to KhaoTik, but what makes Highborn Kitana's best variation is that when the zoning and footsies do not work, the rush down and pressure do. For example, zoning and playing footsies is very difficult against Sub Zero's slide variations, but he has slow mid attacks so he has a hard time checking you after razors. So when I zone and play footsies, I play more patiently and try to bait the slide, yet I play more aggressively up close with razors, knowing that Sub Zero's fastest mid string (well, low string in his case) starts up in 13 frames.

DelilahKane

I’m not your baby.
I am not too familiar with the Erron Black match up so I will defer to KhaoTik, but what makes Highborn Kitana's best variation is that when the zoning and footsies do not work, the rush down and pressure do. For example, zoning and playing footsies is very difficult against Sub Zero's slide variations, but he has slow mid attacks so he has a hard time checking you after razors. So when I zone and play footsies, I play more patiently and try to bait the slide, yet I play more aggressively up close with razors, knowing that Sub Zero's fastest mid string (well, low string in his case) starts up in 13 frames.
You’re not familiar with the Erron Black MU? Are you and REO not friends who I would assume play on the regular? Does he not want to play with you? Very odd.

And Sub-Zero has a hard time checking you after razors? With what, may I ask? Certainly not his 6 frame d1. You are speaking utter nonsense and should leave the giving of tips to people who actually know what they are talking about.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Erron is tricky. Your d3 low profiles his AMP scud shot, but you can't throw fans. Luckily if he enters the stance, you can punish him with a tele. Sai can't be scud shot either.

Erron's d4 is super obnoxious because it forces you to jump in order to check him. If you try to do B1, you eat another d4 and the same applies for your b231. You also have to respect his d4 after blocked a AMP scud shot up close. But if he doesn't and you make the read, you can punish his cancel with B14 for a KB.

A whiffed F4 from him can only be punished with B3 so keep this in mind otherwise all of your other strings will whiff entirely.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
You’re not familiar with the Erron Black MU? Are you and REO not friends who I would assume play on the regular? Does he not want to play with you? Very odd.
REO and I talk a lot, but he really dislikes the game and refuses to play outside of the stream. LOL. I honestly think the game is fine.

And Sub-Zero has a hard time checking you after razors? With what, may I ask? Certainly not his 6 frame d1. You are speaking utter nonsense and should leave the giving of tips to people who actually know what they are talking about.
Kitana low profiles Sub Zero's d+1 with d+3. You may want to do your research before blowing people up. LOL.

Parasurama

Dragon
REO and I talk a lot, but he really dislikes the game and refuses to play outside of the stream. LOL. I honestly think the game is fine.

Kitana low profiles Sub Zero's d+1 with d+3. You may want to do your research before blowing people up. LOL.
On his streams he says it is the best NRS game in terms of balance etc so why doesn’t he like it? How do you stop that low special in the new variation for SZ?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
On his streams he says it is the best NRS game in terms of balance etc so why doesn’t he like it? How do you stop that low special in the new variation for SZ?
REO has a major issue (and mental block in my opinion) with anti-aerial attacks in this game, but we will do a podcast very soon and he can speak for himself.

As far as I know, there is nothing Kitana can do about EX creeping ice. You can flawless block the second hit, which does not matter for Kitana since u+2 and u+3 have short ranges. Certain strings allow you to jump out of the first hit of creeping ice, but I have to test them before posting.

Slide is also a major problem because zoning and playing footsies is very difficult. I still believe the match up is even with Highborn. Perhaps Fearless does do better in this one because of low fan toss. I am not convinced yet, though, because all the Sub Zero player has to do is more iceballs and less slides. I am just theorizing at this point. I have actually yet to use Fearless against Avalanche.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
As far as I know, there is nothing Kitana can do about EX creeping ice. You can flawless block the second hit, which does not matter for Kitana since u+2 and u+3 have short ranges. Certain strings allow you to jump out of the first hit of creeping ice, but I have to test them before posting.
F2 creeping ice and b143 creeping ice don't have a (usable) gap and Subzero players should only be using those. Everything else has a big gap that can be poked out of.

Flawless blocking amplified part of creeping ice just reduces chip but it has a lot of pushback I don't think anyone can do anything about it. Maaaybe Geras' u2 will reach but I think he'll get hit.

Only Cetrion and Kung Lao can jump forward between creeping ice and the amplified part when canceled off b143.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Flawless blocking amplified part of creeping ice just reduces chip but it has a lot of pushback I don't think anyone can do anything about it. Maaaybe Geras' u2 will reach but I think he'll get hit.
If I recall correctly, Skarlet can do flawless block u+3. A couple of other characters may be able to punish with u+3 too. Obviously, Kitana is not reaching anything with her u+3. LOL.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
If I recall correctly, Skarlet can do flawless block u+3. A couple of other characters may be able to punish with u+3 too. Obviously, Kitana is not reaching anything with her u+3. LOL.
Hmm have to test against long range u3s

DarkSado

Noob

Really I remember saying when the g

its crazy because Reo was the person who always praise the game when it first came out lol

DelilahKane

I’m not your baby.

If only Kitana was always plus after razors and there was any indication of knowing. Oh wait, she isn’t, and there isn’t. Don’t try to blow me up with most the inane counter point you could give. Please. I have higher standards for you.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
REO has a major issue (and mental block in my opinion) with anti-aerial attacks in this game, but we will do a podcast very soon and he can speak for himself.

Slide is also a major problem because zoning and playing footsies is very difficult. I still believe the match up is even with Highborn. Perhaps Fearless does do better in this one because of low fan toss. I am not convinced yet, though, because all the Sub Zero player has to do is more iceballs and less slides. I am just theorizing at this point. I have actually yet to use Fearless against Avalanche.
I don’t believe the low fan is what Sub-Zero would have to worry about in this MU. It’s the Fanado. You trade with ice ball and so what? He’s swept into the air and Kitana is frozen. He slides? Full combo for Kitana (unless he does it incredibly early as a read).

I keep trying to tell people: Fanado is ridiculous. You have this wall of a combo starter that’s nearly impossible to jump over and plus if blocked anywhere from jump distance or further. Everyone is sleeping on this.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I don’t believe the low fan is what Sub-Zero would have to worry about in this MU. It’s the Fanado. You trade with ice ball and so what? He’s swept into the air and Kitana is frozen. He slides? Full combo for Kitana (unless he does it incredibly early as a read).

I keep trying to tell people: Fanado is ridiculous. You have this wall of a combo starter that’s nearly impossible to jump over and plus if blocked anywhere from jump distance or further. Everyone is sleeping on this.
I agree that fan-nado is strong, but how good is Fearless up close in the low poke / mid attack / throw range? You know, the meta of the game? EX low fan toss is risky to do in strings, and you cannot win with solely fans and fan-nados because of all the anti-zoning tools in the game.

Kitana's mid attacks are not very fast, which is a major issue in the low poke / mid attack / throw range. Razors compensate this weakness because of their chip damage and frames on hit and block. This is why Highborn is the best variation and always will be.

xWildx

I agree that fan-nado is strong, but how good is Fearless up close in the low poke / mid attack / throw range? You know, the meta of the game? EX low fan toss is risky to do in strings, and you cannot win with solely fans and fan-nados because of all the anti-zoning tools in the game.

Kitana's mid attacks are not very fast, which is a major issue in the low poke / mid attack / throw range. Razors compensate this weakness because of their chip damage and frames on hit and block. This is why Highborn is the best variation and always will be.
Kitana, in general, is not good at the meta of the game. Razors hardly changes that and I don’t see why you’re bringing it up. My comment was in reference to only dealing with Sub-Zero’s slide/ice ball in the MU of Fearless, and that people seem to be underestimating Fanado overall.

Last edited:

DarkSado

Noob
until kitana gets better normals I feel like the discussion of which variation is better is null and void. highborn outclasses fearless slightly, and that’s only because highborn plays MK11’s meta better.
I agree highborn is slightly better due to the fact how the meta is but I do like using fearless against subzero match up.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Kitana, in general, is not good at the meta of the game.
Yes, she is. She has a very good balance between zoning and rush down in Highborn, a great jumping kick, an excellent low poke, reliable anti-aerial attacks, etc.

until kitana gets better normals I feel like the discussion of which variation is better is null and void.
Cetrion and Johnny Cage have slow mid strings in comparison to characters such as Jacqui, Liu Kang, and Noob, yet many competitive players consider Cetrion and Johnny Cage as the two best characters in the game.

I agree highborn is slightly better due to the fact how the meta is but I do like using fearless against subzero match up.
Highborn is much better than the other two variations overall, but I understand why Kitana players would want to use Fearless against Sub Zero's slide variations.

Fearless may have better zoning than Highborn in a handful of match ups, but you give up your best offensive as well as anti-zoning options, which is not worth it to me.

xWildx

Yes, she is. She has a very good balance between zoning and rush down in Highborn, a great jumping kick, an excellent low poke, reliable anti-aerial attacks, etc.

Cetrion and Johnny Cage have slow mid strings in comparison to characters such as Jacqui, Liu Kang, and Noob, yet many competitive players consider Cetrion and Johnny Cage as the two best characters in the game.

Highborn is much better than the other two variations overall, but I understand why Kitana players would want to use Fearless against Sub Zero's slide variations.

Fearless may have better zoning than Highborn in a handful of match ups, but you give up your best offensive as well as anti-zoning options, which is not worth it to me.
Ok, fine. Kitana is good at the meta of the game. Despite her non-existent U2 reversal. Despite her B1 (her fastest mid) being low profiled by an outrageous amount of normals. Despite her best tool (Razors) putting her at a range she does anything but excel at due to the issues mentioned above. At least she can check with a D3... at least she gets some chip.

And please do not compare Kitana to characters such as Cetrion and Cage that can teleport around the screen and out of corners for damn near free, plague the screen with 9 frame fireballs, jail their lows into actual strings with plus frames, or play the mid range better due to the ridiculous amount of extended hitbox on their normals. And I often see you bring up Kitana being played in ECT’s top 8 when arguing with people, as if Dragon picking her as a literal act of desperation somehow qualifies her position as a top tier character.

Kitana is undoubtably better than she was at launch, no one is arguing this. But as the meta evolves, fundamental issues in her toolset (as well as the sheer insanity of other characters) are becoming prevalent and must be addressed before most sound-minded people would be willing to solidify her place as a top tier character in this game.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Absolute Hilarious MU tech against characters who have teleports (especially yolo scorpions):

Razors in neutral hits behind Kitana and Punishes teles.

Last edited: