What's new

Kitana General Discussion

VELL1

Noob
So everyone plays highborn or fearless? No love for fan-fare? Just me?
I can play FF Kitana...easily get to Demi-God and sometimes God level.

Honestly with how rare kitana gets touches, she needs to do damage. I haven't really tried highborn, but I think everything she does is reactable. It's the same with FF, but at least the damage is better.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I can play FF Kitana...easily get to Demi-God and sometimes God level.

Honestly with how rare kitana gets touches, she needs to do damage. I haven't really tried highborn, but I think everything she does is reactable. It's the same with FF, but at least the damage is better.
Highborn has the best damage potential if you consider the following.

b+1,4 xx razors do 22% of damage and are +25 on hit. If you throw afterward, you do 36%. If your opponent expects a throw and neutral crouches, but you do b+1,4 xx razors again, you do 44%. Even if your opponent blocks another b+1,4 xx razors, you do around 28% because of the chip damage. However, all attacks after razors can be flawless blocked. If your opponents are somehow able to perform this difficult feat, slightly delay your string or use strings of varying speeds (1,2 xx razors, b+1,4 xx razors, f+2,3 xx razors, or b+2,3,1 xx razors) to confuse their timing for the flawless block.

So everyone plays highborn or fearless? No love for fan-fare? Just me?
I play Highborn and Fan-fare, i almost never touch Fearless. The fact that you can punish stuffs with 12 into full combo is enough for me to choose Fan-fare over Fearless. Additionally i got air-to-air conversion into 200 damage, float pressure and easy follow up after d2 krushing blows in Fan-fare. Low fan is a a gimmick and i don't think it's worth the risk

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
I wouldn't call Low Fan a gimmick. It's still a fairly fast unduckable projectile. She isn't Cetrion but Low toss along with regular toss and Fan-Nado is decent kit of projectiles to zone with. The high/lows maybe be gimmicky but it still requires the opponent not to sleep when blocking.

I was messing around with Kitana today and I'd say
Highborn>Fan-Fare>Fearless. Fearless has potential but right now i think it has damage problems. Conversions from non-b14 hits are just too weak. Fan-fare may be very basic but it has the benefit of converting every hit into a full combo.

kevkopdx

Noob
I actually think Fearless is really good.
Can you elaborate? I’ve been playing fearless exclusively for awhile and I think it’s a pretty crappy, tho fun, variation.
Her zoning is pretty good in this variation but her mixups are easy to block and don’t lead to good damage at all. but against teleporters, fan-nado is useless.
edenian twist has zero priority in the air, it works on punishing some projectiles up close on a read, but the recovery is death if you miss. It’s really a pretty garbage move when you compare it to frost’s or Kung lao’s dive kick.
This variation feels like death by a thousand cuts.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I actually think Fearless is really good.
If EX low fan toss were safe and had no gap, Fearless would be really good and one of the best zoning variations in the game. Currently, Fearless sucks. As does Fan-Fare. Why? The answer is Highborn.

I am not yet sure whether I am overreacting or not, and I was going to consult @xKhaoTik to discuss this topic privately, but I genuinely believe Highborn is top 5 and razors are the best special move in the game. There is no good reason to use Fan-Fare or Fearless. Ever. You are wasting your time. The hitbox fixes to razors are colossal, and all universal buffs were going to benefit Highborn anyway, as all of us all predicted. I also believe Highborn does well against the top tier character such as Cetrion, Geras, and Liu Kang.

Zviko

Noob
Currently, Fearless sucks. As does Fan-Fare. Why? The answer is Highborn.

There is no good reason to use Fan-Fare or Fearless. Ever. You are wasting your time.
Suck is a strong word. Highborn is just better, doesn't mean the other two suck.

For me, Kitana has only 2 variations. Highborn is a different character for me. It's a hybrid and it's called Kiteena. I don't like it. I hate it actually. Unless I'm a pro player and Highborn is top of the top tier, I have no good reason to play it. Ever.

Suck is a strong word. Highborn is just better, doesn't mean the other two suck.

For me, Kitana has only 2 variations. Highborn is a different character for me. It's a hybrid and it's called Kiteena. I don't like it. I hate it actually. Unless I'm a pro player and Highborn is top of the top tier, I have no good reason to play it. Ever.
As I understand it, it's Edenian Razors that really makes Highborn, which has nothing to do with Mileena. Having said that, yes, Highborn does not feel like Kitana from the last few games. Fan-fare is the closest there.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
If EX low fan toss were safe and had no gap, Fearless would be really good and one of the best zoning variations in the game. Currently, Fearless sucks. As does Fan-Fare. Why? The answer is Highborn.

I am not yet sure whether I am overreacting or not, and I was going to consult @xKhaoTik to discuss this topic privately, but I genuinely believe Highborn is top 5 and razors are the best special move in the game. There is no good reason to use Fan-Fare or Fearless. Ever. You are wasting your time. The hitbox fixes to razors are colossal, and all universal buffs were going to benefit Highborn anyway, as all of us all predicted. I also believe Highborn does well against the top tier character such as Cetrion, Geras, and Liu Kang.
Idk about top 5, but if she is, then so be it lol. I personally don’t have her that high. I have her top 10. I think highborn still has some matches where she struggles. Erron Black for example.
I am a FIRM believer of Kitana beating Geras and Cetrion, especially highborn against Cetrion. Kang I’m still on the fence about simply because he’s Liu kang lol.

As for Fan Fare and Fearless, I wouldn’t go as far as to say they suck but I can see why you say that when comparing it to Highborn. Fan Fare has its uses in certain MUs like Scorpion while Fearless really mows down Sub. But other than that, there really isn’t a point of using them. Sucks tho because we all want fan fare to be the variation of choice but Highborn is just too good.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Does anyone else think vertical and advancing flutter should one ability? Flutter has some uses but you cannot seriously tell me it has the same "worth" (in terms of loadouts) as Low Fan or Razors. Meanwhile Cerritos teleport is also a one slot and comes with like 5 or 6 different variants. Is advancing flutter secretly godtier or something?

Also Ground War should be a standard kit ability so Edenian Twist can be more than a gimmick air special.

gitblame

Noob

Highborn being top tier character doesn't take Fearless being also good variation. Fearles can slow game down which will benefit some players. She plays extremly well from life lead and shines in situation when oponnent has to take a risk. I don't know about that wasting my time point. I play for fun, just how lord Paulo told us to play and I will say I have definetly more fun playing Fearless than Highborn

M2Dave

Zoning Master
...while Fearless really mows down Sub.
I am not convinced. The Sub Zero player ought to be doing less slides and more ice balls to trade with low fan toss, and because there is no teleport in Fearless, Kitana cannot punish an ice ball outside of jumping distance. In this match, Fearless gives you better zoning, and I would argue slightly better, but you surrender all the strengths that make Kitana top tier. You are particularly more limited up close since EX fan toss is gimmicky and unrewarding, as you stated a couple of weeks ago.

What is the staple combo after Fan-Nado anyway?

Fearles can slow game down which will benefit some players. She plays extremly well from life lead and shines in situation when oponnent has to take a risk.
First of all, all characters in the game play well from life leads and shine in situations when their opponents have to take a risk. This strength is universal and hardly exclusive to Kitana. Second of all, zoning is limited in Mortal Kombat 11 so Fearless is not slowing down anybody. There is a plethora of anti-zoning variations in this game. Do you know what genuinely slows down opponents? A special move that almost does 7% of chip damage after strings, can be made +1 on block, and is +25 on hit.