What's new

Strategy - Kitana Kitana General Discussion/Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
If Kitana reflects soul ball and Ermac got hit, will he be stunned and open for a full combo?
You would think. I know she can combo off of Sub-Zero's ice ball, but the combo progression is different. A lift will end the combo so you have to start with like a f43, f43, f33 into fan to get anything going.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Thanks for answering. In my opinion they made it to be 14 frame startup, not 7 frame like her parry, to allow react-reflect slow projectiles (like Sonya's, Johnny's) but not fast projectiles (Kitana's IAF). It would be funny it Kitana can interrupt some of Ermac's strings cancelled into soul ball (reversal reflect) then punish him for that :DOGE let's cry for 2 frame reflect buff people :DOGE

Anyone on Xone live with a wired connection? I want to pocket Kitana for certain matchups and I need to practice online with someone who knows the ins and outs using her. Add me AR The 8th

I've recently started playing Kitana and I'm really enjoying her. I'm still pretty bad at corner combos, what are your go to combos fella's?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Finally played the patch last night. While downloading it, I was testing out the changed stuff before it was changed.

Reflect shows 15f startup where it was 16f before... the 23 in the patch notes is from the recovery and an oops on NRS' part. It really doesn't feel any faster on startup to me as I literally tested it before patch to after patch very quickly.

I also noticed that the frame data on b1 has changed to 10f from 9f. I didn't notice a difference when using it so perhaps this is just a fix in the menu?

Here is my stream archive where I tested 212~EX Glaive against every character:

You will notice I did not have Jason and Kung Lao crouch block, so they are a bust... but it's good from there. I really only tested this against armor through the return glaive against one variation per character... and I only tested a backdash punish against Takeda which worked against his armor and backdash equally. His armor is 23f so this wouldn't work against other characters.

It is obvious that backdashing is what you want to do against this, but it opens up yomi for the Kitana player to make a read and punish.

No timestamps right now, but if someone wants to do it...

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
probably just boils down to the fact that Sharpen is not entirely useful, and that the moves you're trading if you compare it to RS, just aren't as good. So why pick it over RS?

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Kinda rough to browse through everything but overall right now after all the patches where does Kitana stand really and how good are each of her variations and why? Is there a best one for her too? Just curious as I might mess with the character but I'm not sure where to start honestly. It's easier to get a bit of insight.

Madog32

Kinda rough to browse through everything but overall right now after all the patches where does Kitana stand really and how good are each of her variations and why? Is there a best one for her too? Just curious as I might mess with the character but I'm not sure where to start honestly. It's easier to get a bit of insight.
She's legit now. So far assassin is showing the least advantage, but who knows. I feel RS has great space control, and can achieve pretty much anything assassin can, but has improved lift. I want to like assassin, but I hate that B3~lift doesn't work at any sort of decent range in it. I find it hard to give up that tool (on top of her MB lift becoming a full screen) for the things assassin provides.

I have to admit I haven't used assassin since the latest buff to D1, but I highly doubt it's anything to get that excited over.

Mournful has great pressure with enhanced glaives, and an overhead projectile in the air that has pretty decent range even at instant-air height and can lead to some combos now. I've also been having much success with d1~shadow kick. The d1s improved range is awesome, and it forces the opponent to block and therefor not allow the shadow kick to just pass right over them.

They're all usable now tho. Much improved!

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
She's legit now. So far assassin is showing the least advantage, but who knows. I feel RS has great space control, and can achieve pretty much anything assassin can, but has improved lift. I want to like assassin, but I hate that B3~lift doesn't work at any sort of decent range in it. I find it hard to give up that tool (on top of her MB lift becoming a full screen) for the things assassin provides.

I have to admit I haven't used assassin since the latest buff to D1, but I highly doubt it's anything to get that excited over.

Mournful has great pressure with enhanced glaives, and an overhead projectile in the air that has pretty decent range even at instant-air height and can lead to some combos now. I've also been having much success with d1~shadow kick. The d1s improved range is awesome, and it forces the opponent to block and therefor not allow the shadow kick to just pass right over them.

They're all usable now tho. Much improved!
interesting. The variant I was interested in from the start was Mournful mainly because jade was my favorite female ninja and she was........................less than usable in MK9 so I stuck with scorpion only. I guess I'll give that one a try. Didn't they nerf something on it though?

Madog32

interesting. The variant I was interested in from the start was Mournful mainly because jade was my favorite female ninja and she was........................less than usable in MK9 so I stuck with scorpion only. I guess I'll give that one a try. Didn't they nerf something on it though?
They recently adjusted the hit advantage of her enhanced Glaive, so that it doesn't jail your opponent when the first hit is blocked at close range. I believe it was their solution to the 31% chip damage blockstring she had. Someone else could probably speak more specifically on it since I haven't had much time to play since the last patch, but @Konqrr recently posted a video of the opponents options regarding the returning glaive. Looks like backdashing gets them out, but can be blown up if you read it.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
probably just boils down to the fact that Sharpen is not entirely useful, and that the moves you're trading if you compare it to RS, just aren't as good. So why pick it over RS?
Probably cancel-everything-into-parry pressure. You can also use parry troll people when you're winning, without hurting your thumb with tea bag

Madog32

Probably cancel-everything-into-parry pressure. You can also use parry troll people when you're winning, without hurting your thumb with tea bag
Yes, this is fun! Unfortunately one of my training partners mains is Cassie cage, and after getting parried maybe 1 or 2 times, they'll just be conditioned to alway use their low starters. And hers is safe :-/ so it became a rather useless tool for me unless I was convinced she was going to poke. Again - all 3 variations are definitely viable now, but even with that threat of reversing her pokes, it wasn't enough to convince me to drop the great B3~footsie tool or the enhanced lift that her RS variation offers.

Also - can't beat that Ass brutality she gets!

Or maybe I'm just salty that the parry is crap compared to my beloved killer frosts parry :-P

What is the benefit of EX-fan lift wen NOT in Royal Storm?

Also quick 1meter Royal Storm combo, maybe u guys can optimize.

F2> Ex-Fan toss> 2,4 > fanlift > U+2 > Float > Njp > 1,1,1 > fan toss > F4 > Booty bump

Last edited:

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
What is the benefit of EX-fan lift wen NOT in Royal Storm?

Also a quick 1 meter royal storm combo i came up with. Maybe u guys can optimize it.

F2> Ex-Fan toss> 2,4 > fanlift > U+2 > Float > Njp > 1,1,1 > fan toss > F4 > Booty bump!
No use at all outside of royal storm

That combo was cute but she already has an optimized 1 bar bnb in the corner.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
I play Assasin today against my friend using grand master Subz, then test parry on block in practice mode on Cassie with reversal flipkick and I have some conclusion about the new 7 frame parry
First the only thing that make [normals] canceled into parry safe against cassie is 21 parry (without holding). Everything else is either punishable by Cassie flipkick or push Kitana too faraway that flipkick misses (I'm sorry i didn't test with other characters). But if you do 21 parry and mash D1 trying to pressure, Cassie will hit you with flipkick before your D1 hits her, so 21 parry is negative on block
Unless you hold them to play mind game (baiting Mileena ex roll for example), it's not worth using 21 parry in footsie game or as upclose pressure.
But the new 7 frame does help her in the matches against Sub. If I'm stuck in the corner I can block his low option or react to parry the overhead (which is funny). The react is very hard to do though, I need more practice.
Conclusion: parry is useless 90% of the time and you'll never be able to use sharpen safely without sacrificing your damage in combos. It's almost impossible to use a 7 frame parry to blow up insane pressure of any characters. So I can say Assasin is not a viable variation

Status
Not open for further replies.