What's new

Strategy - Kitana Kitana General Discussion/Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.
MK9 Scorpion was unsafe, but he also had a vortex, frame traps, fast normals that were actually safe. Kitana has unsafe strings and normal moves that are also bad. AKA slow, and no mix ups or frame traps to speak of, while if you are lucky to even get to use them due to the slowness are retarded negative. She can't mix up, she can barely poke. She has no move that needs to be feared except an anti-air fan. How can you compare the two? Also MK9 is a different game all together. I played Noob Saibot in that game along with most of the ninjas. Noob has a better come back factor than she has. lol
scorpion had no legit frame traps haha, only frame trap he really had that was legit was ending combos in a tele. Also he had no good pokes and horrific wakeups. He had a poke tha tis -7 on hit... haha

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
111 Was a frame trap, or rather 1,11,111 etc and real talk Scorpion had better wake ups in MK9 than Kitana has now. And believe it or not Scorpion also has better pokes than Kitana has now...in MK9 let alone the current game lol

Ok I'm home. Video general highlight time. I need a list of things to show. The obvious ones are as follows:

Fans in neutral and in block
Frame traps... all three of them
Wake up... lol
Overhead speed
Low strings...

Yeah obviously using each variation as well

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Ex sun disc is 25, that's more then enough time for a trade in your favor, guess what according to that trade even if a fan hits you're still at +37 and if i block you're at +15.and if f+1 is better go use it, i don't know kotal i gave you valid options to beat kitana in neutral.

The fact you're coming in here telling me how stupidly good my characters "neutral options" are is a joke.
first of all i didn't say a thing about neutral, i said at full screen kotal might struggle because his options to trade from full screen are mediocre at best(and i'm okay with that, because he should suck at full screen). don't make shit up, that's not cool.

not sure why you're coming at a guy who thinks someone might have trouble at a certain point in a match up when i didn't even mention the rest of how it goes

Redk9

Noob
so she is unsafe? I mean i was able to win vs top players with mk9 scorpion so even if she is supposed to be "bad" you can still beat others by playing smart and making good reads.

I say keep going at it with her, there is no way after 3 weeks y'all have figured out the best way to play kitana in all her matchups. She is no sheeva or jade haha, she is actually viable.
Saying "its week 3", "I did well with a character so they aren't that bad" or "theres worst characters" are all very very poor arguments. I understand you are a high level player, and trust me I respect that. But you haven't provided any logical reasoning for kitana not being bad besides a few fallacies. Im not kitana expert but from carefully paying attention to what the players of this forum have been complaining about it really appears she needs some help.

Saying "its week 3", "I did well with a character so they aren't that bad" or "theres worst characters" are all very very poor arguments. I understand you are a high level player, and trust me I respect that. But you haven't provided any logical reasoning for kitana not being bad besides a few fallacies. Im not kitana expert but from carefully paying attention to what the players of this forum have been complaining about it really appears she needs some help.
u saying my arguments are "poor" is just a speculation and opinion lol. That doesn't mean a thing to me tbh. If you don't understand the points that I am making then that is quite fine, but to just say "oh yeah ur arguments are poor" is just ur opinion which u can keep.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
so she is unsafe? I mean i was able to win vs top players with mk9 scorpion so even if she is supposed to be "bad" you can still beat others by playing smart and making good reads.
to be fair scorpion had a 50/50 he could loop and kitana doesn't even have that, just strong punish damage and "okay" projectiles

they're really different characters in totally different games

idk, general consensus is that she doesn't really excel at the defensive footsie-heavy play she was supposed to because of how "meh" her blockstrings are. i think it's gonna stay like that unless there's a breakthrough or we just get a patch to adjust her to better suit her own intended playstyle. sure you could argue a good player could win but that could probably hold true for anyone this early on.

I will just say this, if you guys think she is that "bad" then i recommend keeping her trained up as a backup, u never know when she will come in handy.

E

Eldriken

I will just say this, if you guys think she is that "bad" then i recommend keeping her trained up as a backup, u never know when she will come in handy.
I think that's a really good idea on the off chance that she gets some good adjustments.

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
Royal: Top zoning tools. This is the variation that doesn't need a lot of work, just a fix on move startups and recovery frames to make her more nimble and capitalise on her mobility. Fans should hit mid, but I wouldn't mind fans in Royal Storm being an overhead at the cost of losing her Neck Slice.

Assassin: Punish and footsies at the cost of losing her fan lift move and focusing on high damage with slice and dice moves and Sharpen. Bringing back her Fan Slice and making it a Mid with pushback on block would be an idea. Make assassin dash airborne, too.
Just my quick brain(royal)-storm.
Fans being overhead sounds like it's a bit too much to be honest on Royal. I mean I realize that she doesn't have mix ups, but it seems a bit dirty to give her that...well not super bad but pretty bad. For Royal, I'd reduce the start up of Bounce back, making it a more viable tool in a zoning war. Fans being mid would cause the opponents to take more risks, giving her more opportunities to actually punish more moves, and the opponent will be more likely to jump. Though good players will still get to her by blocking and running. I'd increase the length of the super booty. Meaning it would go further, but I'd keep it's recovery frames the same to keep it from being spammable/get out of jail free.

Assassin: I'd reduce the recovery of fan sharpen (the thing has over a second in game time recovery), fans hitting mid still sounds good, I'd reduce the start up of parry probably to 5 frames. It only hit's overheads/mids and doesn't hit jump ins or low. Making it a pretty useless move. I'd Increase Assassin Strike's armor count as the final specific buff.

As for universal changes, reduced recovery on almost all of her strings. Being full combo punishable on so much is pretty dumb. F2 can keep it's full combo punishableness from even a basically slow string. But make it an over head. A 19 start up overhead in a game with this many mix ups isn't bad at all, It also scales combos considerably.

And that's probably all my changes to be honest. Nothing game breaking. I don't think it would even make her top tier, but it would make her a better character in the long run.

Last edited:

7L

Heads up!
Holy shit, can we get some positive things in this thread? Or can we get a separate thread for everyone to bitch about her not being good enough for them?

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Holy shit, can we get some positive things in this thread? Or can we get a separate thread for everyone to bitch about her not being good enough for them?
There's already a couple threads for her disguising themselves as "constructive" which serve that purpose exactly lol.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Well she's definitely a good upclose punisher. That's about it. I think the pros will be smart enough to get around her zoning, and once you have that figured out I don't see her as much of a threat.

I'm having a difficult time figuring out exactly what I would want to change to improve her while still keeping her design intact and not just lazily making her a 50/50 character.

I'd just like her overhead to be sped up, her f2 to be sped up slightly, and for her fans to be a little safer on block. It would put her more in line with a cybernetic Kano style which is all about zoning and spacing with good normals. I'd actually prefer other characters to be nerfed rather than Kitana buffed much. I like the honest way she plays and I feel like some characters are overpowered in a derpy way.

Edit: Oh yea, I'd also like for her jumpin punch to hit crouchers.

Last edited:
Well she's definitely a good upclose punisher. That's about it. I think the pros will be smart enough to get around her zoning, and once you have that figured out I don't see her as much of a threat.

I'm having a difficult time figuring out exactly what I would want to change to improve her while still keeping her design intact and not just lazily making her a 50/50 character.

I'd just like her overhead to be sped up, her f2 to be sped up slightly, and for her fans to be a little safer on block. It would put her more in line with a cybernetic Kano style which is all about zoning and spacing with good normals. I'd actually prefer other characters to be nerfed rather than Kitana buffed much. I like the honest way she plays and I feel like some characters are overpowered in a derpy way.

Edit: Oh yea, I'd also like for her jumpin punch to hit crouchers.
I see two options for changing her but keeping her zoning based.

1. Leave fans as they are but give her safe strings and better tools to at least mount a comeback.

2. Make fans mid, leave her strings as they are but still give her a decent overhead up close (a faster B2 still with knockdown

I like her 212 string. I like that the last hit send them flying and can be timed with a fan for a meaty wakeup. It screams zoning tool to me, in the sense that you want them to get back so you have space. Unfortunately that's not reality :(

I agree for the most part. But when almost EVERY SINGLE representative for a character, including the most recognizable ones, are saying a character is bad, shouldn't that mean something?
it probably means you are all spoiled by mk9 kitana

seriously, sometimes people sound like they dont understand their characters at all and rather cry for changes than trying to understand. i have a friend who was complaining about mileena a lot, which is way more reasonable than complaining about kitana, because her framedata is really ass. i told him to stick with her and explore her meta which is all about the threat of the roll, which indeed sometimes just lets you walk up and do your 36 frame overhead. now he's doing fine with her, by just accepting she is a mindfuck character that has to take risks. work your way around the weaknesses and play your character as what it is. not every character can be an untouchable flowchart character, like mk9 kabal and kenshi, some are designed in a way that focuses more on the "Player vs Player"; not the "character vs character" thing. this has yet to be explored before you change anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.