What's new

Strategy - Kitana Kitana General Discussion/Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
You're only partially looking at it
Explain? I went through every string she had. Reversal up ball is pretty reliable for reversal punishment.

I'm not secretly calling you downplayers. This is what I've foubd so far.

What is wrong with these strings?

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Thats 42% unless your counting the jump in. Then I would just use f43 f43 f33 fan dash f4 lift JiK AF dash 3 assassin strike(41%) or TS (40%). The run 3 in your variation is seems inconsistent to me, and probably for some other people as well.
Yea 43% with the JP. Its really not hard lol, but I can see why it can turn some people off. I'm all about max damage on consistent BnBs so that's my goto punisher midscreen with f43.

xKhaoTik

Explain? I went through every string she had. Reversal up ball is pretty reliable for reversal punishment.

I'm not secretly calling you downplayers. This is what I've foubd so far.

What is wrong with these strings?
They are negative on block. I think she only has 2 strings that are neutral on block and one of them (f334) can be armored thru.

Them being unpunishable doesn't mean they aren't a problem. She doesn't have any pressure options afterwards, which is detrimental for Kitana. Once she uses these strings, she pretty much has to face whatever the opponent throws at her.

Her best strings (besides f33) are the punishable ones.

1,1 8 frames SU -6 on block (punish)
1,1,1 13 frames SU -5 on block (even)
B1,2 16 frames SU 0 on block (safe)
B1,2,2 21 frames SU -5 on block (even)
B1,4 15 frames SU 0 on block (safe)
B1,4,3 17 frames SU -8 on block (punish)
F1,1,2 16 frames SU -5 on block (even)
F3,3,2 24 frames SU -8 on block (punish)
F3,3,4 25 frames SU 0 on block (safe)

Now in the situation you're describing yes there's a lot of safe strings when you're reversing with a 5 frame move that sounds like it takes you off the ground. When our fastest move however is 8 frames, we become at a disadvantage if we try to push the advantage. you also have to take into account some of those strings that should only be used in certain situations. Pretty much what is being said is that since most our stings end in a situation where we tend to have to block the next attack we are putting ourselves in a mixup on most the cast. Even at -5 that's a 13 frame window before our next fastest move is going to be active

They are negative on block. I think she only has 2 strings that are neutral on block and one of them (f334) can be armored thru.

Them being unpunishable doesn't mean they aren't a problem. She doesn't have any pressure options afterwards, which is detrimental for Kitana. Once she uses these strings, she pretty much has to face whatever the opponent throws at her.

Her best strings (besides f33) are the punishable ones.
Or to be concise... what he said lol

Rude

Or to be concise... what he said lol
A lot of characters have - strings in this game. Is that really exclusive to Kitana? Also, i would think you would need something five frames or a just frame move to punish a -6 move.

Could you not stagger your low - or 0 strings, condition them to block one way and then complete a string or add a special as a mix up of sorts?

Glaives seem pretty safe for that, actually.

I didn't get to play it, I feel like I'm left out... just like being the last kid to be picked for basketball in elementary :(

xKhaoTik

A lot of characters have - strings in this game. Is that really exclusive to Kitana? Also, i would think you would need something five frames or a just frame move to punish a -6 move.

Could you not stagger your low - or 0 strings, condition them to block one way and then complete a string or add a special as a mix up of sorts?

Not when ALL of our specials are unsafe...including fan toss

And staggering would be cool if she had other strings that's safe. Trust me, I thought of this idea. Doesn't work well with her strings

The low is in the middle of the string and glaive has 26 frames of startup. There is no mixup just some decent advantage to receive a mixup

Rude

Not when ALL of our specials are unsafe...including fan toss

And staggering would be cool if she had other strings that's safe. Trust me, I thought of this idea. Doesn't work well with her strings
I want to say the string is called b112?

Could you not mix that up? B11 may be -, but not so minus that you have enough time to tell the difference between b11, b112.

Also, what about playing the midrange game? Bait unsafe actions and whiff punish. Maybe she can't rush down?

Also why is her air float move a gimmick? Could you mix up that, actually jumping in, or jump in, do nothing, then immediately go low?

learis1

Guardian Cadet
I think it would be too OP if it led to a high damaging fan combo. Maybe if it was given a ground bounce where the only thing you had time to do was continue a new kombo string particular to it for some more dmg, then that would be ok.

Rude

I wanted to clarify my last question a bit.

So say I'm standing in the nuetral and you cross me up. I'm already conditioned to look for her air move. So instead of doing a jump attack, you jump, cross me up, don't do a jumping attack and immediately go for a low as soon as you land?

Could this be a mix up? I mean, if I'm waiting to block your jump in and you do this, wouldn't i be opened up?

xKhaoTik

I want to say the string is called b112?

Could you not mix that up? B11 may be -, but not so minus that you have enough time to tell the difference between b11, b112.

Also, what about playing the midrange game? Bait unsafe actions and whiff punish. Maybe she can't rush down?

Also why is her air float move a gimmick? Could you mix up that, actually jumping in, or jump in, do nothing, then immediately go low?
B112? Do you mean B122 or f112?

And yea I love playing a midscreen-fullscreen game. Run into strings like f112, f43, or f22u4 are pretty good to catch whiffed moves or people not expecting it. Thing is, once these are blocked, she gets punished. She doesn't have a strlong footsie game at all. She definitely isn't a rushdown character either.

Float works now because people dont know what to do. It is a gimmick tho. People can easily AA it, or just punish her once she lands. Doing an empty jump into a low isnt worth it because her lows are trash and don't lead to worthy damage. JIP into float then NJP actually jails, is safe and its a double OH. I use this a lot.

E

Eldriken

Thank God you said this because I saw your post on the previous page saying the OH would be "dumb" and I was ready to come in here and serve you some sass. ;)

From day 1, Wild and I have been saying F2 looks as though and should function as an OH. However the reach is deceptively short and it's too slow. If they were to speed it up, give it longer range and make it an OH...BAM, she would be able to play footsies and start whiff punishing pokes etc, etc, like the majority of the cast.

Yes this.

People need to stop saying that if she were to get an OH or a low STARTER, she'd suddenly become this beast of mix up character or full on rushdown. Lol, she will never be Cassie or Erron and that's totally fine nor what we want or need.

Look at Cibernetic Kano (whom I think is a fantastically designed character), he has a fast mid hitting projectile, safe strings for defense, some nice mids, and a low starter that he can stagger. Yet no one considers HIM rushdown. He is a perfectly balanced zoner. The reason people think Kitana's zoning is good is due to her ability to convert off of an air fan.

If we were to get mid hitting fans I think the balance for exchange would be to take a damage nerf to air fan coversions, which would be acceptable IMO.

Or...

Give her SAFETY and some range, the ability to stagger, and give her that F2 OH for some whiff punishing. I mean...her ground game is so damn lacking that her zoning just doesn't cut it. Cassie's B1 is the best whiff punishing normal in the game, she needs something similar.
HEY, HEY. I WAS PART OF THAT DAY 1 CREW AS WELL. >=O

Rude

B112? Do you mean B122 or f112?

And yea I love playing a midscreen-fullscreen game. Run into strings like f112, f43, or f22u4 are pretty good to catch whiffed moves or people not expecting it. Thing is, once these are blocked, she gets punished. She doesn't have a strlong footsie game at all. She definitely isn't a rushdown character either.

Float works now because people dont know what to do. It is a gimmick tho. People can easily AA it, or just punish her once she lands. Doing an empty jump into a low isnt worth it because her lows are trash and don't lead to worthy damage. JIP into float then NJP actually jails, is safe and its a double OH. I use this a lot.
Huh. Wow. I didn't realize it was that bad.

I only went through Assassin. She doesn't have a low in Royal Storm?

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Huh. Wow. I didn't realize it was that bad.

I only went through Assassin. She doesn't have a low in Royal Storm?
You didn't realize it was that bad? So when we first played and I told you on mic literally everything he just said...you just forgot? Lol

No. Her only low starter is her sweep. Lol

Rude

You didn't realize it was that bad? So when we first played and I told you on mic literally everything he just said...you just forgot? Lol

No. Her only low starter is her sweep. Lol
I guess. I thought the empty jumping thing might have had value. I was mistaken.

There is some more context ill tell you about later.

Status
Not open for further replies.