What's new

Guide KILLER FROST - Living Combo Archive/Discussion (Archived)

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Explain this 47% immediately.
J2 b1u3, u3, u3,u3, 1xxslide b112xxiceburg MB, b3 slide. 47% and no wakeup can reach you when they land, so it's purely for damage.

Practical because Jump IN 2 is slightly easier to perform, and is more likely to actually catch opponents in a real match (J2 into b1 is high into low, which when you train them to expect j3 (blocked) into f3 can work surprisingly effectively).

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
That looks pretty damaging lol.

I'm all about the vortex tho :/ literally every combo I do either sets up the meterless or meterved vortex. I dont use dagger combos, iceberg combos, etc. I do end combos with 11b2 against some characters to build trait tho. But yea, nothing but mixups for me lol.

Rickyraws

That looks pretty damaging lol.

I'm all about the vortex tho :/ literally every combo I do either sets up the meterless or meterved vortex. I dont use dagger combos, iceberg combos, etc. I do end combos with 11b2 against some characters to build trait tho. But yea, nothing but mixups for me lol.
Yeah that's the thing, so many people say Frost's damage is bad, but we're all (myself included) dropping our combos intentionally to continue the vortex. However I love the 41% meterless combo and catch myself sometimes doing it instead of the vortex because if I open them up twice, that's 82% without the use of meter!

Rickyraws

Also, I've been trying to tell the nay sayers: Killer Frost's damage nerf came primarily in the scaling POST slide. Therefore, the more hits with reasonable gravity values you can hit BEFORE you finally decide to put a slide in the combo, the better your chances of finding high damaging combos. Treat the slide as a d2.

For instance, trait up and do b1 and as many u3s as you can. You should definitely see 50%s.

Slide and do 7...8....9 u3s.....nada.

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
I regards to the combo @Rickyraws mentioned. Dashing in after a slide is basically immune to tech rolling, so if you immediately dash forward it's ALMOST as good as a hkd in terms of reset potential, imo. Depending on the character (CatWo, for example) I usually opt for a combo ending in something like 11b2/f112 ~ slide, dash... instead of u3, dash...

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
So I've been sitting on some tech for a while that you guys might be interested in. It's essentially an alternative post-mb freeze mix up.

After mb-freeze immediately IAD forward - you'll cross the opponent up - as soon as you land you want to jump forward and press 1 to cross up. Depending on how deep you input your J1 you will hit your opponent in the front or the back, creating a 50/50, either way you will land behind the opponent (on the same side you started on).

The advantage to this 50/50 over the f3/b1 50/50 is that you get to follow up with more pressure/frame traps/resets if they successfully block your mix-up attempt. I generally go for 111 trait cancel nonsense. Some other gimmicky stuff is you can immediately cancel the J1 into a bc.f3/slide for an ambiguous cross-up into high/low that combos on hit.

Obviously you lose out on the bonus damage from the j2, 2 into reset, however.

Rickyraws

So I've been sitting on some tech for a while that you guys might be interested in. It's essentially an alternative post-mb freeze mix up.

After mb-freeze immediately IAD forward - you'll cross the opponent up - as soon as you land you want to jump forward and press 1 to cross up. Depending on how deep you input your J1 you will hit your opponent in the front or the back, creating a 50/50, either way you will land behind the opponent (on the same side you started on).

The advantage to this 50/50 over the f3/b1 50/50 is that you get to follow up with more pressure/frame traps/resets if they successfully block your mix-up attempt. I generally go for 111 trait cancel nonsense. Some other gimmicky stuff is you can immediately cancel the J1 into a bc.f3/slide for an ambiguous cross-up into high/low that combos on hit.

Obviously you lose out on the bonus damage from the j2, 2 into reset, however.
This can be done somewhat when you MBFreeze jump back dash forward. The following 3 will cross up, and seems to only be able to be blocked, making the 50/50 involve left and right blocking when you figure out how to get the 3 to NOT cross up. Or you can jump back dash delayed 2. This does not cross up (also a guess) and can be hitconfirmed if they do/ don't block into f113 d1slide frame trap or f113 into f3/mbf3

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
This can be done somewhat when you MBFreeze jump back dash forward. The following 3 will cross up, and seems to only be able to be blocked, making the 50/50 involve left and right blocking when you figure out how to get the 3 to NOT cross up. Or you can jump back dash delayed 2. This does not cross up (also a guess) and can be hitconfirmed if they do/ don't block into f113 d1slide frame trap or f113 into f3/mbf3
Yeah, I used to play around with that setup too, the one I posted is just a little more ambiguous imo. You make a good point about f113 as a follow up on block or hit though - I've been using 111 and when it's blocked I try to trait cancel and then cancel the trait into a forward dash immediately. If you're quick enough you have some positive frames to work off of to create more pressure; the problem is it's so hard to time the trait cancel dash properly.

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
Elaborating on the above tech, I've found some stuff that makes it even more deadly... it's basically the same set-up, after mb-command throw you instant air dash forward then do j1, and depending on the timing you hit in the front or the back. These are my notes on the cross-up j1:

-There are 3 primary timings on the j1:
1) early timing: you hit in the front, on hit you land behind your opponent, on block you land in front
2) later timing: you hit in the back, you land behind on block or hit
3) small window between early/later: you hit in the front, you land behind on block or hit --- this is the fun gimmicky one, I haven't tested this one on all hit boxes yet

-You can hit confirm a standing 3: (this is the most exciting option)
j1, 3 can be visually hit confirmed into slide (or mb iceberg versus grundy, bane, lex or doomsday). This means you can attempt a 50/50 cross up that, if blocked, can be confirmed into a blocked 3, which "guarantees" another 50/50 into f3 or slide.

-You can also hit/block-confirm with f113, 111, etc.:
similar to the above, you can j1, f113 which is easy to confirm into a damaging combo, or if blocked you can just as easily confirm into a d1~slide frame trap, a throw, a mb.f3 or whatever you want with your +4 frames

-You can cancel the j1 into slide for a high, low or (if you have the meter) you can cancel into bc.f3 for a high, high --- obviously this option is the most costly and most likely least useful

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Phew ... finally they let me register ... anyways here is a 48% 1 bar combo
J2 f113 xx iceberg MB, b3, j3, u3, 11b2 xx slide, 3 xx iceberg
Can you do an u3 instead of a standing 3 in that combo to set up the meterless vortex? What is the damage?

Cabronium

Stream monster: Qperg.
J2 b1u3, u3, u3,u3, 1xxslide b112xxiceburg MB, b3 slide. 47% and no wakeup can reach you when they land, so it's purely for damage.

Practical because Jump IN 2 is slightly easier to perform, and is more likely to actually catch opponents in a real match (J2 into b1 is high into low, which when you train them to expect j3 (blocked) into f3 can work surprisingly effectively).

Instead of ending the combo with Slide can you u3 again or does that not link?

Rickyraws

Instead of ending the combo with Slide can you u3 again or does that not link?
No, I don't believe you can reach their falling body with anything other than a slide. A second iceberg won't link in time IIRC. Haven't tested it out in a while though so I could be mistaken.
If I recall, you played in the Aniventure tournament? Good show, brethren.

Yeah I won back then, but I was still very scrubby :)

Can you do an u3 instead of a standing 3 in that combo to set up the meterless vortex? What is the damage?
You can do pretty much anything, u3, 2 xx grab MB. Gotta check the damage tho, will be home shortly. The only problem is the first hit of f113 whiffs on some characters, but you can do 111 instead for 1% less.

Cabronium

Stream monster: Qperg.
No, I don't believe you can reach their falling body with anything other than a slide. A second iceberg won't link in time IIRC. Haven't tested it out in a while though so I could be mistaken.
So do you think that combo is worth it? It's good damage but would it be better to go for a vortex setup instead?

Rickyraws

So do you think that combo is worth it? It's good damage but would it be better to go for a vortex setup instead?
Oh no no n, like I said earlier, it is your discretion as a KF player whether you go for damage or vortex. The vortex (metered or otherwise) is almost always a better choice but against some characters with autocorrect wakeups like Deathstroke, or side neutral wakeups like Batgirl, if you don't have meter it might be best to go for damage more often than not.

RiBBz22

Here is the damage for the different vortex endings:

u3 - 46%
f11 xx MB freeze, j2 2 - 48%
Yeah this is good, nice work. Great punish into the untechable knockdown for sure. I will probably start mixing this in instead of f113 slide after catching someone with a jump in.

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
I always thought this combo option was known? I've never tried the 3~iceberg ender though. I did not know that f11~mb.freeze worked.

OK I'm just letting you know now that I will be using this at WB. Already got it down. I'll shout you out Lol.
Great, I hope it leads you to victory!

Yeah this is good, nice work. Great punish into the untechable knockdown for sure. I will probably start mixing this in instead of f113 slide after catching someone with a jump in.
Yeah its especially good for punishes and with 3 bars 1 wrong guess + throw is all it takes for their life bar

RiBBz22

Great, I hope it leads you to victory!

Yeah its especially good for punishes and with 3 bars 1 wrong guess + throw is all it takes for their life bar
Damn I loooove ending this in the untechable for interactable setups. Already used it in a few matches and a lot of setups pretty much wiped out a life bar.

What are you guys using for background bounces? I'm getting 45% no bar into a meterless vortex and 40% 1bar vortex.
slide, u3, u3, 2 xx BG, b3, freeze mb, j2 2 - 35%
b1 u3, u3, u3, 2 xx BG, b3, slide (delayed) , 2 xx freeze mb, j2 2 - 42%
b1 u3, u3, u3, 2 xx BG, b3, slide (delayed), u3 - 41%
f3, u3, u3, 2 xx BG, 22 xx slide, u3 - 38%
f3, u3, u3, 2 xx BG, 22 xx slide, 2 xx freeze mb, j2 2- 40%
f3, u3, u3, f112 xx slide, f1 xx BG f3/u3/223 ( do 223 early cuz 1st hit must whiff) - 39/38/39%

Damn I loooove ending this in the untechable for interactable setups. Already used it in a few matches and a lot of setups pretty much wiped out a life bar.
Sounds great. Gotta try it with most interactables and see the overall dmg.