What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kenshi Kenshi Match Up Thread

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
Anyway anyone how to handle a good Ermac? I've posted what I know already, but do you guys have anything you can add on to it?

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Anyway anyone how to handle a good Ermac? I've posted what I know already, but do you guys have anything you can add on to it?
I read what you wrote and you covered most of the problems that make these matchups bad, not much to add really.

From Balanced perspective, the matchup sucks in general, Ermac is comfortable everywhere in his three variations. I have more experience vs Master of Souls than with the other two, though.

My best advice is be SUPER patient, don't take any risks. You can't abuse of tf (he punishes with teleport) or overhead slash (he can run and punish with f4 or anything if he sees it), so you have to be surgical with those.

If you see he is abusing of telestomps, at the right distance you can jump and full punish with b1 starter.
Vs master of souls reflecting every ball is a must, it's easy because at least they are pretty slow.

My main strategy vs Ermac is to have patience so he loses his own patience and wait for him to make something stupid, as teleport or levitate into teleport...

coconutshrimp

I read what you wrote and you covered most of the problems that make these matchups bad, not much to add really.

From Balanced perspective, the matchup sucks in general, Ermac is comfortable everywhere in his three variations. I have more experience vs Master of Souls than with the other two, though.

My best advice is be SUPER patient, don't take any risks. You can't abuse of tf (he punishes with teleport) or overhead slash (he can run and punish with f4 or anything if he sees it), so you have to be surgical with those.

If you see he is abusing of telestomps, at the right distance you can jump and full punish with b1 starter.
Vs master of souls reflecting every ball is a must, it's easy because at least they are pretty slow.

My main strategy vs Ermac is to have patience so he loses his own patience and wait for him to make something stupid, as teleport or levitate into teleport...
Which variation would you day I'd preferable vs Ermac? I'd say Possessed because BF2 in Possessed is literally the best. 11 frames Mid safe against Ermac, no hurtbox on the push itself, really helps out I feel, where as everything in Balanced is like 14 frames of startup, those 3 frames HUGE difference lol

ismael4790

Which variation would you day I'd preferable vs Ermac? I'd say Possessed because BF2 in Possessed is literally the best. 11 frames Mid safe against Ermac, no hurtbox on the push itself, really helps out I feel, where as everything in Balanced is like 14 frames of startup, those 3 frames HUGE difference lol
All three are bad and awful choices vs Ermac, that's for sure xD

If you are facing master of souls, reflect makes your life easier, so that would leave out Possessed.
Possessed push is probably the best push across the three variations in general, BUT Balanced has the best whiff recovery on his push, and that also has to be taken into account: At certain distance, for example, if you whiff a push and Ermac had throw a ball, with Balanced maybe you will get away. With the other variations the ball will hit you.

I would personally pick Balanced for Ermac (not saying it's the best choice, probably I just feel more comfortable with him) because in a matchup where my main strategy is waiting for a mistake and punish, Balanced can do that harder and meterless, and also get the most damage from jump mistakes.

Immortal

Blind justice....
You can go Possessed or Kenjutsu. Makes really not much of a difference overall in that MU. I personally prefer Kenjutsu coz reflect is very useful especially vs MoS and im a sucker for parry.

Yes you're at a disadvantage in this MU no matter what variation you choose. You can stop most of the Ermac BS at fullscreen to midscreen with proper (fast) reactions. Reflect is particularly good vs MoS and i find it very good when im being cornered coz i can parry on read few things which makes him think several times before pressuring again. Obviously dont abuse parry coz it will get you killed. But if you successfully parry his attacks few times he will most likely commit to unsafe 50/50 and this is what you want. Like always its all about proper reads and mindgames.

On highest level especially vs Spectral Ermac (patient player) you will most likely just lose no matter what. He has way better up close options and is way more safe then you on almost everything. And that utterly BS ex armored, safe , life regain with half of the screen hitbox push will just destroy you. It is what it is.

coconutshrimp

You can go Possessed or Kenjutsu. Makes really not much of a difference overall in that MU. I personally prefer Kenjutsu coz reflect is very useful especially vs MoS and im a sucker for parry.

Yes you're at a disadvantage in this MU no matter what variation you choose. You can stop most of the Ermac BS at fullscreen to midscreen with proper (fast) reactions. Reflect is particularly good vs MoS and i find it very good when im being cornered coz i can parry on read few things which makes him think several times before pressuring again. Obviously dont abuse parry coz it will get you killed. But if you successfully parry his attacks few times he will most likely commit to unsafe 50/50 and this is what you want. Like always its all about proper reads and mindgames.

On highest level especially vs Spectral Ermac (patient player) you will most likely just lose no matter what. He has way better up close options and is way more safe then you on almost everything. And that utterly BS ex armored, safe , life regain with half of the screen hitbox push will just destroy you. It is what it is.
Yeah I almost forgot about parry tbh xD

Yeah there's no winning this MU for sure after all this, I prefer Possessed for Spectral, but for the other 2 Kenjutsu is defs the way to go. I find it Possessed answers Spectral's corner pressure fairly decently, and if Ermac ever wants to fly away, you can tell up to him, but that's also risky.

But thanks for the advice on dealing with Ermac you guys, he has been a pain in my ass recently among others so the help is appreciated

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
II was kinda joking, not entirely. Have you guys ever played a great Kenshi? Not just a good one. if you have, you may know what I'm refering to.

I'm out.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
How do you guys handle Spectral and Mystic Error Macro? In every variation Kenshi punishes a raw BF2 from Mystic from anywhere on the screen with BF3 free so he can't throw that out willy nilly, but how do you guys deal with Ermac's ji3 into soul blast? That shit kills me everytime, is air soul blast plus on block cause I feel like I can move if I block that.

and then there's Spectral's corner pressure which you can armor, but if he reads your gonna armor then he can armor Tele cause when he's airborne EX Tele has armor, and then you're getting combod. So you need advancing armor? Okay let's try Possessed Tele, if he reads that your gonna do that he can move back and BF2 you. Now if I remember right, inbetween each hit of 1 2 3 4 or whatever normals he does in in the air, there is a gap in between each of those so what you can do is react to everything he does instead of reading him. Wait for him to hit you with air normals and interrupt them, wait for him to EX Tele and punish it, but then he can go straight into the ground stomp or the air blast and there goes that, at that point you have to guess.

In Balanced you have to limit tele flurry heavily cause he gets a free Tele punish, use Overhead slash a lot so he doesn't lift often, eventually he'll get impatient cause he can't lift into stomp like a madman and he'll tele you so be ready to punish. In Kenjutsu Tele toss is situational and only use it when you know you're gonna hit him or you can get away with it. Possessed is a bit weird cause Low demons don't have an aerial hit box, so idrk what you gotta do with Possessed.

In regards to Ermac's B124 string, do not attempt to poke out, you will get beat everytime so just don't do it. This string is practically a frame trap because he has an option for everything you can do. Wanna be safe and use Your EX BF2 armor? boi my EX Soul blast has that shit covered. You wanna backdash? String is neutral boi, bring dat ass back here where you going? Boi I will F4 dat ass if you backdash. and since he has a 6 frame d1 he's at advantage so you are not gonna poke out. You wanna cross me up? boi my D1 will hit just as you get in the air motherfucker, get back down here. You wanna jump back? Okay I gotchu, I'll just BF2 dat ass and we good. The only solution I have is get hit by the last hit of B124, but just don't get hit in the corner cause in the corner he converts. F21D2 is also 0 on block but you can armor backdash the last hit free, but he can stagger it so don't get too armor happy with that one either.

This is what I got. How do you guys handle the MU for both Spectral and Mystic? It feels really disadvantaged for Kenshi.
From someone that plays the matchup all the time some of your points here are a little overexaggerated and you're missing some stuff lol. Prepare for a wall of text ;D

First of all a character having counteroptions to your options is just how fighting games work, doesn't necessarily mean it's a losing matchup. So him being able to ex soul blast you or teleport or catch your backdash doesn't mean you lose the matchup, none of that is guaranteed and it's all read based.

Secondly I think Balanced actually does ok against both Spectral and Mystic as long as you condition them correctly. Ermacs below average walkspeed actually helps you here because Kenshis walkspeed is actually good and it allows him to play a pretty decent footsie game against Ermac. You can do stuff like max range B1 then walk back to bait a poke and whiff punish it because Kenshi has the walkspeed for it, little things like that really help.

As for j3~soul blast I usually anti air him on reaction with ex rising karma pretty much every time so that's never really a problem for me. If I don't have meter and he goes for it though then yeah you usually need to respect it depending on how low he does it. If he does it pretty low it's plus so you have to respect a followup for the most part.

Another main reason I think Balanced does well against Spectral is because you get access to that armoured launcher to interrupt his flight pressure and get a full combo punish. Balanced gets a really good chance in the flight/interrupt/teleport meta compared to most characters, an armoured launcher really helps him with the air pressure. Just make sure to condition them/bait them with the occasional backdash/armour early on so that they end up teleporting to try and catch you backdashing/armouring and you'll get a full combo for it.

You're right that you need to limit your use of teleflurry against Ermac since he can just duck and teleport punish it, just make sure you get them blocking those DB4s. Bait with standing 1 whiffs as well.

I disagree with what you're saying about B124 though, you can poke out as long as you've got them thinking you won't. You're just playing right into their hands by saying stuff like that, they're going to get away with a bunch of gimmicks if you think you HAVE to respect it and sit there all day. If you show them respect at all times then they're going to get away with stuff like B124 into a mixup or B124 into another one, both of those things have gaps you can take advantage of. You can occasionally poke or armour if you know they're going to do something you can take advantage of.

As for F21D2 it doesn't matter if they stagger it or not, F21 is -14 and F21D1 has a gap so either way ex rising karma hits them. Only way for them to stay safe is to do F212 or F21~ex blast or whatever variation specific stuff is safe.

Another thing to note: raw BF2. For whatever reason (I'm going to assume travel time of Balanced's BF2) Spectral Ermac can't punish it reliably from about starting distance and onwards. DB1, F4, F2, B1, 2, 1, BF2 all either whiff or get blocked in time. Against Mystic however you can ONLY DO IT AT MAX DISTANCE. At any other closer distance he can just BF2/ex BF2 you no matter what so you can't afford to use it as much against that variation.

Oh and in case any of you didn't know Balanceds ENHANCED reflect absorbs Ermac's ground pound so you can avoid 8% damage and get 5% health back if you time it right :) Easier to do against Mystic and Master of Souls though since Spectral can do it from a low height.

I really don't think it's that tough a matchup for Balanced to be honest, one of the only times I ever pick him lol. Hope all this I've written helps all you Balanceds out there!

coconutshrimp

From someone that plays the matchup all the time some of your points here are a little overexaggerated and you're missing some stuff lol. Prepare for a wall of text ;D

First of all a character having counteroptions to your options is just how fighting games work, doesn't necessarily mean it's a losing matchup. So him being able to ex soul blast you or teleport or catch your backdash doesn't mean you lose the matchup, none of that is guaranteed and it's all read based.

Secondly I think Balanced actually does ok against both Spectral and Mystic as long as you condition them correctly. Ermacs below average walkspeed actually helps you here because Kenshis walkspeed is actually good and it allows him to play a pretty decent footsie game against Ermac. You can do stuff like max range B1 then walk back to bait a poke and whiff punish it because Kenshi has the walkspeed for it, little things like that really help.

As for j3~soul blast I usually anti air him on reaction with ex rising karma pretty much every time so that's never really a problem for me. If I don't have meter and he goes for it though then yeah you usually need to respect it depending on how low he does it. If he does it pretty low it's plus so you have to respect a followup for the most part.

Another main reason I think Balanced does well against Spectral is because you get access to that armoured launcher to interrupt his flight pressure and get a full combo punish. Balanced gets a really good chance in the flight/interrupt/teleport meta compared to most characters, an armoured launcher really helps him with the air pressure. Just make sure to condition them/bait them with the occasional backdash/armour early on so that they end up teleporting to try and catch you backdashing/armouring and you'll get a full combo for it.

You're right that you need to limit your use of teleflurry against Ermac since he can just duck and teleport punish it, just make sure you get them blocking those DB4s. Bait with standing 1 whiffs as well.

I disagree with what you're saying about B124 though, you can poke out as long as you've got them thinking you won't. You're just playing right into their hands by saying stuff like that, they're going to get away with a bunch of gimmicks if you think you HAVE to respect it and sit there all day. If you show them respect at all times then they're going to get away with stuff like B124 into a mixup or B124 into another one, both of those things have gaps you can take advantage of. You can occasionally poke or armour if you know they're going to do something you can take advantage of.

As for F21D2 it doesn't matter if they stagger it or not, F21 is -14 and F21D1 has a gap so either way ex rising karma hits them. Only way for them to stay safe is to do F212 or F21~ex blast or whatever variation specific stuff is safe.

Another thing to note: raw BF2. For whatever reason (I'm going to assume travel time of Balanced's BF2) Spectral Ermac can't punish it reliably from about starting distance and onwards. DB1, F4, F2, B1, 2, 1, BF2 all either whiff or get blocked in time. Against Mystic however you can ONLY DO IT AT MAX DISTANCE. At any other closer distance he can just BF2/ex BF2 you no matter what so you can't afford to use it as much against that variation.

Oh and in case any of you didn't know Kenshis ENHANCED reflect in Balanced absorbs Ermac's groud pound so you can avoid 8% damage and get 5% health back if you time it right :) Easier to do against Mystic and Master of Souls though since Spectral can do it from a low height.

I really don't think it's that tough a matchup for Balanced to be honest, one of the only times I ever pick him lol. Hope all this I've written helps all you Balanceds out there!
I actually didn't know that EX Reflect did that to the pound and because of how EX Reflect works like parry when you absorb some thing, you can EX Reflect get 5% and cancel into tele flurry and it punishes.

Thanks for all this and ig I was overexaggerating some stuff in this MU lol, but this is greatly appreciated, especially that EX Reflect thing.

Youphemism

I actually didn't know that EX Reflect did that to the pound and because of how EX Reflect works like parry when you absorb some thing, you can EX Reflect get 5% and cancel into tele flurry and it punishes.

Thanks for all this and ig I was overexaggerating some stuff in this MU lol, but this is greatly appreciated, especially that EX Reflect thing.
Or if you're close enough rising karma into a not-too-bad punish :)

No problemo!

ismael4790

Oh and in case any of you didn't know Balanceds ENHANCED reflect absorbs Ermac's ground pound so you can avoid 8% damage and get 5% health back if you time it right :) Easier to do against Mystic and Master of Souls though since Spectral can do it from a low height.

Did't know the pound was absorbable xD
Good tip!

Youphemism

Did't know the pound was absorbable xD
Good tip!
Haha yeah I didn't know either but someone found that for some reason Jacqui's meterless absorb (which is supposed to absorb projectiles but absorbs ground pound for whatever reason) absorbs ground pound so I tried it with Balanced and it didn't work with the meterless one but works with the ex one lol.

ismael4790

Haha yeah I didn't know either but someone found that for some reason Jacqui's meterless absorb (which is supposed to absorb projectiles but absorbs ground pound for whatever reason) absorbs ground pound so I tried it with Balanced and it didn't work with the meterless one but works with the ex one lol.
Something similar happens with tremor up rocks. Regular parry fails, but ex version absorbs them.

Landonio

n00b
Struggling with the CSZ and Shinnok matchups for some reason (Kenjutsu). I thought CSZ was supposed to be trash. I get rocked by every CSZ I play. He seems impossible to zone or to force to play my game with all of his tools. I don't understand how you're supposed to block/get out of his setups. He's plus on everything. I know there are gaps, but when you don't have armor, what are you supposed to do? His NJP is godlike. I'm assuming Balanced is a much better matchup for him, but I don't play dat trash variation. *sigh*

Also, Shinnoks who constantly and teleport and force me in a 50/50 situation. I don't really know what the best option against the teleport is. If I block, I'm getting mixed. If I try to NJP, I end up facing the wrong side and getting NJP'd for a full combo. If I start jumping forward, I'm gonna start getting hell-sparked. Can't backdash, because it's trash. If I try to uppercut, it only works about 50% of the time. The other half I get stuffed for some reason. Don't really understand why.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
@Devils Britches

Here's the deal, maybe you're gods gift to kenshi. I will offer one saving premise. Come on red hot Sundays and show us how xyz MUs are truly what u say they are

Looking super forward to these 6-4s and 5-5s