What's new

General/Other - Kenshi Kenshi General Discussion Thread

Tweedy

Noob
Fucking Tweedy show us your balanced gameplay already! Such a dick tease.
I don't use Balanced competitively. I don't have to use a character competitively to make my opinion legit, to a bunch of people who don't use anything competitively. You guys don't understand the risk/reward of picking up a character and using it in tournaments to prove a point.

Literally the most I can get out of it is "damn cuz you was right", while on the other hand I could lose more games while adjusting to match ups, resulting in loss of potential winnings and placements.

I like talking shit about tier placements, but it's not serious enough to where I would get stressed out about it and try to prove a point with my tournament life. None of you would do it either, so lol.

I told some guy in a twitch chat that I think Kano is really good, and he said "then use him in tournament fat boy". What, am I supposed to play any character that people disagree with me about?

Balanced is good imo. If you guys don't think it is, that's cool. The world spins.

Tweedy

Noob
Sorry if i'm being a huge dick.

I spilled soda on my keyboard yesterday, and it's magically working again today. I'm hype about it and going ham on TYM as a result.

I'll share match footage from yesterday to be more productive.

I play Slayer's Sektor at 3:10:20. I also played Frostibunni's Cassie at 54:26.

A couple notes.

1. I played poorly all around vs Sektor I think. I don't play it a lot and I think it can be potentially troublesome for Kenshi in general. Slayer didn't abuse D3 which goes under Kenshi's D1, so it could have been worse. If timed right I think Kenshi can D2 his teleport or teleport canceled into EX dash, but S1 and S2 are a tad too slow from what I've labbed. EX dash is also a really difficult punish, especially if done low to the ground. Push is all you can get I believe, if done low enough. I should have just commit to punishing him at all times, instead of waiting for the EX dash. Never good to let them get away with spending no resources IMO.

2. I think I did well in the Cassie match up, but, I didn't know that you can neutral duck the special that he was cancelling into in spec ops. American way or w/e. It's a full combo punish with a neutral duck.

Last edited:
I don't use Balanced competitively. I don't have to use a character competitively to make my opinion legit, to a bunch of people who don't use anything competitively. You guys don't understand the risk/reward of picking up a character and using it in tournaments to prove a point.

Literally the most I can get out of it is "damn cuz you was right", while on the other hand I could lose more games while adjusting to match ups, resulting in loss of potential winnings and placements.

I like talking shit about tier placements, but it's not serious enough to where I would get stressed out about it and try to prove a point with my tournament life. None of you would do it either, so lol.

I told some guy in a twitch chat that I think Kano is really good, and he said "then use him in tournament fat boy". What, am I supposed to play any character that people disagree with me about?

Balanced is good imo. If you guys don't think it is, that's cool. The world spins.
120% agree with this post.

KrAdWeLL

Noob
Tweedy I hear you and agree , that being said, I just want to see some high level Kenshi Balanced, and I'm if anyone can demo that, it'd be you.

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours.

Come at meh brah ^_^

Can't you do some causal matches witch good players while using Balanced? Just asking. :)

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
Is there any updated matchup chart for Balanced Kenshi? If not I would at least like to know what Balanced worst matchups are. (Top 5-10 in your opinion.)

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Is there any updated matchup chart for Balanced Kenshi? If not I would at least like to know what Balanced worst matchups are. (Top 5-10 in your opinion.)
Last one was Pig mu chart.
Now the players that still use Balanced are still coming to terms with October patch and probably not in the mood to do another one lol.

Worst matchups imo are (no order)

Liu Kang (Dragon's Fire, used to be 8-2 and his worst mu, now it's more like 7-3), Mileena (All variations), Reptile (Nimble), Tanya (Pyro), Predator (Hqt), Scorpion (all variations, yes, inferno too), Kung Lao (Buzzsaw and Hat Trick), Raiden (Displacer).

There are more, but I would highlight these ones over the rest.

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
Last one was Pig mu chart.
Now the players that still use Balanced are still coming to terms with October patch and probably not in the mood to do another one lol.

Worst matchups imo are (no order)

Liu Kang (Dragon's Fire, used to be 8-2 and his worst mu, now it's more like 7-3), Mileena (All variations), Reptile (Nimble), Tanya (Pyro), Predator (Hqt), Scorpion (all variations, yes, inferno too), Kung Lao (Buzzsaw and Hat Trick), Raiden (Displacer).

There are more, but I would highlight these ones over the rest.
I know I'm not great at matchups and whatnot. But Pyro Tanya is not one of his worst matchups (I actually like that matchup tbh). I don't think Ninjutsu is that bad as well. I played a very good Buzz saw the other day and found that you have to play suuuuper patient against him up close so I can see that as a bad mu, nothing crazy though.

I don't even attempt Balanced against Hqt because Possessed does much better in the matchup Imo. And I agree with the others you listed.

Last edited:

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
What about Shinnok? Boneshaper is most likely a bad mu and maybe Necromancer. But I can't see Impostor being as bad as the other two against Balanced.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I know I'm not great at matchups and whatnot. But Pyro Tanya is not one of his worst matchups (I actually like that matchup tbh). I don't think Ninjutsu is that bad as well. I played a very good Buzz saw the other day and found that you have to play suuuuper patient against him up close so I can see that a bad mu, nothing crazy though.

I don't even attempt Balanced against Hqt because Possessed does much better in the matchup Imo. And I agree with the others you listed.
Pyro has the amount of zoning and mobility options to give problems. Prepatch I agree she lost the mu, now it's definitely different. But it's probably the last of my list if it was ordered.

Ninjutsu is actually a nightmare, since in addition to being able to full combo you on reaction into vortex if you happen to miss a teleflurry like the other scorps can do, he adds godlike range. So in this matchup Kenshi can't zone and can't play an equal midrange game, he is forced to pressure.

Buzzsaw is crazy in my opinion since again he is better everywhere. His hats basically give him fullscreen pressure, he can even punish successful reflects like Mileena. His mobility is amazing, the threat of his divekick practically nullifies your antiair game (I miss you exkarma), and again, he has ex teleport to punish missed teleflurrys into 40%.

About shinnok, I'm not sure yet, but I find the matchup easier than before.

Pyro has the amount of zoning and mobility options to give problems. Prepatch I agree she lost the mu, now it's definitely different. But it's probably the last of my list if it was ordered.

Ninjutsu is actually a nightmare, since in addition to being able to full combo you on reaction into vortex if you happen to miss a teleflurry like the other scorps can do, he adds godlike range. So in this matchup Kenshi can't zone and can't play an equal midrange game, he is forced to pressure.

Buzzsaw is crazy in my opinion since again he is better everywhere. His hats basically give him fullscreen pressure, he can even punish successful reflects like Mileena. His mobility is amazing, the threat of his divekick practically nullifies your antiair game (I miss you exkarma), and again, he has ex teleport to punish missed teleflurrys into 40%.

About shinnok, I'm not sure yet, but I find the matchup easier than before.
Any character with a teleport is nightmare for balanced.

Tweedy

Noob
Can u please explain? I prefer to use possessed in this situation since he has access to the teleport to close in space. With balanced, i get beat in the zoning battle with the air fbs.
Reflect vs fireballs, higher meterless damage. I feel like jump 1 in non-Possessed variations and regular rising karma are really good anti airs vs Tanya's jump 2. Just D2 alone isn't good enough IMO. With Possessed I try to NJP but that can be trip guarded. Jump 1 and rk are much safer options.

I feel like Tanya deals with teleport pretty well. She has a small hitbox so running under is easy, her jump 2 is insane, so she'll win air to air exchanges vs teleport.

Tweedy

Noob
I'm gonna post a little match up chart I think. Not sure if I posted one before on here but this one will probably be a bit different. It's gonna be very generic. No variations and there are a few that admittedly I do not have a ton of experience vs. Just wanna get my opinions out there and maybe ruffle some feathers. It's going by best variation vs Kenshi. Covert Ops and Brawler do not have significant advantage over Kenshi, for example. Sonya and Cassie are listed with Demo and Hollywood in mind.

I think Shinnok, Takeda, Quan and Sektor could all be 5-5s, but I didn't want this list to be super boring lol. I'd say those matches are all like 5.5-4.5 or 4.5-5.5, if you want to get technical.

7-3

Ferra/Torr
Kung Jin
Kung Lao

6-4

Sub Zero
Goro
Leatherface
Shinnok
Takeda
Johnny Cage
Reptile
Erron Black

5-5

Kitana
Liu Kang
Ermac
Predator
Bo Rai Cho
Tremor
Cyrax
Tanya
Jacqui
D'vorah
Raiden
Kotal Khan
Jason
Cyber Sub Zero

4-6

Sektor
Smoke
Mileena
Quan Chi
Scorpion
Kano

3-7

Sonya
Cassie

This is all strictly Possessed, of course.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I'm gonna post a little match up chart I think. Not sure if I posted one before on here but this one will probably be a bit different. It's gonna be very generic. No variations and there are a few that admittedly I do not have a ton of experience vs. Just wanna get my opinions out there and maybe ruffle some feathers. It's going by best variation vs Kenshi. Covert Ops and Brawler do not have significant advantage over Kenshi, for example. Sonya and Cassie are listed with Demo and Hollywood in mind.

I think Shinnok, Takeda, Quan and Sektor could all be 5-5s, but I didn't want this list to be super boring lol. I'd say those matches are all like 5.5-4.5 or 4.5-5.5, if you want to get technical.

7-3

Ferra/Torr
Kung Jin
Kung Lao

6-4

Sub Zero
Goro
Leatherface
Shinnok
Takeda
Johnny Cage
Reptile
Erron Black

5-5

Kitana
Liu Kang
Ermac
Predator
Bo Rai Cho
Tremor
Cyrax
Tanya
Jacqui
D'vorah
Raiden
Kotal Khan
Jason
Cyber Sub Zero

4-6

Sektor
Smoke
Mileena
Quan Chi
Scorpion
Kano

3-7

Sonya
Cassie

You better list what variatoins of the characters you have in mind when listing them because some are not going to be so obvious. Brawler is considered better than Hollywood by some Cassies for example so it's hard to say what you consider best variation of each character.

KrAdWeLL

Noob
In my experience as of lately.

Shinnok boneshaper is a horrible match up.

That's a 4-6 easy.

I'll easily can do better against any Ermac variations.

Mileena horrible MU as well.

Sector/Smoke is rough as well.
Mill

7-3

Ferra/Torr
Kung Jin
Kung Lao

6-4

Sub Zero
Goro
Leatherface
Shinnok
Takeda
Johnny Cage
Reptile
Erron Black

5-5

Kitana
Liu Kang
Ermac
Predator
Bo Rai Cho
Tremor
Cyrax
Tanya
Jacqui
D'vorah
Raiden
Kotal Khan
Jason
Cyber Sub Zero

4-6

Sektor
Smoke
Mileena
Quan Chi
Scorpion
Kano

3-7

Sonya
Cassie

Don't know why isn't mileena a 3-7/2-8 matchup for Kenshi tbh. Teleport is rendered useless in this mu. At least in the Sonya and Cassie mu teleport is still kinda viable.

Tweedy

Noob
Don't know why isn't mileena a 3-7/2-8 matchup for Kenshi tbh. Teleport is rendered useless in this mu. At least in the Sonya and Cassie mu teleport is still kinda viable.
Kenshi doesn't really need to teleport vs Mileena imo. B1 is great at stuffing regular roll and EX roll simultaneously due to the active frames and double hits. D3 low profiles his D1 but it's pretty minus on block, so she can't mash it.

B1 and D4 work pretty well vs her from mid range. Her jump 1 is really dumb but can be read with njps and jump back 1. She definitely wins but I don't think it's too bad.

Curious about these two in particular?
I feel like Cassie dominates mid range footsies(her D4 and mid are both faster than Kenshi's) and counterpoking(D3 is only -3 and low profiles Kenshi's D1) in this match up. She doesn't have one thing that beats every teleport option, but between run under 242 and flip kick, she does pretty well. She can react to EX overhead with EX nutpunch.

Smoke is troublesome because of his mobility, low profiling D3, fast mid that can be made safe in the Smoke variation, B21, Kenshi can't really punish Smoke bomb outside of an instant jump 4. I think Smoke is overall just a more solid character and can make reads on Kenshi's dirt(armor and teleport) with okay risk/reward. Could be 5-5 tho.

Tweedy

Noob
EX teleport is insane vs Boneshaper because of how slow his strings are. Vs most characters it's good on paper, but they just break it easily. Against him though, it's essentially an armored launcher.

Plus Possessed doesn't have to deal with any of his -5 D1 or backdash mind games because of regular push. It's pretty godlike in this mu.

His D2 is high risk/low reward. Same with his dark beam.