What's new

General/Other - Kenshi Kenshi General Discussion Thread

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Quick scan to check what Kenshi players, after three months playing this new version of the game, would like to see in the unlikely event of a new patch.

If it was in your hands, what changes would you do to him? All three variations, although I'm more interested in your suggestions to improve the weakest variations that got hit in last patch.

@Pig Of The Hut @Immortal @DarksydeDash @Tweedy @CrazyFingers @ChatterBox @Bleu231 @SneakyTortoise @Ashenar @coconutshrimp @Fellow_Swordsman
And any other Kenshi player.
I'm a kenshi player still? news to me. Um, gimme a bit to think on it.

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
Quick scan to check what Kenshi players, after three months playing this new version of the game, would like to see in the unlikely event of a new patch.

If it was in your hands, what changes would you do to him? All three variations, although I'm more interested in your suggestions to improve the weakest variations that got hit in last patch.

@Pig Of The Hut @Immortal @DarksydeDash @Tweedy @CrazyFingers @ChatterBox @Bleu231 @SneakyTortoise @Ashenar @coconutshrimp @Fellow_Swordsman
Give Balanced a hard knockdown overhead (something like Kitanas). It's nothing crazy, and it gives you another option open your opponent up.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt

Off the top of my head, for kenjutsu and balanced. Have kenjutsu's exdf1 armoured, but requires an additional meter burn to launch. Same for balanced's exdb1.

I know those aren't very creative, might be able to think of something better later or if I went back to playing either variation, but fuck the latter.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.

I think Balanced is a lot better and people need to take advantage of b1 into MB bf3 when they have the bar. Its super good imo. Possessed is perfect and Kenjutsu, (my favorite of the three), is complete garbage. I think they should have made MB df1 knockdown as a wakeup attack or give bf3 its armor back. Also, make his MB push + on block because his other variants have it that way.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I think Balanced is a lot better and people need to take advantage of b1 into MB bf3 when they have the bar. Its super good imo. Possessed is perfect and Kenjutsu, (my favorite of the three), is complete garbage. I think they should have made MB df1 knockdown as a wakeup attack or give bf3 its armor back. Also, make his MB push + on block because his other variants have it that way.

Why would anyone spend a bar in b1~mb bf3 to be just +1? Kenshi is no true threat at those frames, even less when the pushback is increased. If feeling in the need of spending a bar, better using b1~expush to be +3 and with more pushback.

Current exteleflurry is useless and is one of the things that should be changed imo.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Why would anyone spend a bar in b1~mb bf3 to be just +1? Kenshi is no true threat at those frames, even less when the pushback is increased. If feeling in the need of spending a bar, better using b1~expush to be +3 and with more pushback.

Current exteleflurry is useless and is one of the things that should be changed imo.
d4 into rising karma is legit. Pig has taught me the ways. Use it after a MB bf3 because the distance is perfect.

ismael4790

d4 into rising karma is legit. Pig has taught me the ways. Use it after a MB bf3 because the distance is perfect.
Thing is Kenshi's d4 is not great, the simplest opponent poke will beat it after b1~mbbf3.
42~mbbf3 and 421~mbbf3 are another story though, the range where you are left is better.

Imo mbbf3 should make all hits come out on block, and give decent pushback after the hits. Also Kenshi should be able to meterburn a teleflurry (on whiff and on block) ala Jacqui's machinegun to make the rest of the hits come out too. This would instantly increase the respect for his zoning.

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie

I'd make Kenjutsu's EX DB4 a 2 bar armor launcher
Add MB ability to regular DB4
Shave off 10 frames on bf3
B2 launches

For Balanced I'd give him a slightly higher hitbox on EX Push.
Shave off 10 frames at MOST of Tele flurry.
Speed up EX Overhead slash by a couple frames.

For Possessed he needs nothing but here are few cute but definitely would break him kinda buffs
EX teleport starts up much faster
Demon Drop now has a hitbox on the way down

This is why I will never be allowed to balance any fighting game ever

ismael4790

I'd make Kenjutsu's EX DB4 a 2 bar armor launcher
Add MB ability to regular DB4
Shave off 10 frames on bf3
B2 launches

For Balanced I'd give him a slightly higher hitbox on EX Push.
Shave off 10 frames at MOST of Tele flurry.
Speed up EX Overhead slash by a couple frames.

For Possessed he needs nothing but here are few cute but definitely would break him kinda buffs
EX teleport starts up much faster
Demon Drop now has a hitbox on the way down

This is why I will never be allowed to balance any fighting game ever
The hitbox on way down for demon drop is crazy lol. Possessed is super fine now.

I think both Balanced and Kenjutsu could make use of 2 bar armor launchers on exdb1 and exdb4 respectively. That would be THE change.
For Balanced, also the option of giving armor to exdb1 but launching far only allowing for a teleflurry followup (19%) would be good. This would also give him a situational 1 bar armor launcher in corner. And the most important, the antiair/anticrossup power would be back.

They need some other small changes too.

Last edited:

coconutshrimp

The hitbox on way down for demon drop is crazy lol. Possessed is super fine now.

I think both Balanced and Kenjutsu could make use of 2 bar armor launchers on exdb1 and exdb4 respectively. That woild be THE change. They need some other small changes too.
See that's why I put that he's fine as is but here are 2 buffs to break if they so choose.

I don't really think Balanced having that would be good. I don't think there would be a really decent way to turn EX DB1 into a 2 bar armor move. I think maybe giving EX Telefurry armor may be a decent change

ismael4790

See that's why I put that he's fine as is but here are 2 buffs to break if they so choose.

I don't really think Balanced having that would be good. I don't think there would be a really decent way to turn EX DB1 into a 2 bar armor move. I think maybe giving EX Telefurry armor may be a decent change

One of Balanced strongest points was antiair/anticrossup, they took away that with general changes without thinking too much nor giving anything useful in exchange.
That strenght, in some way, needs to go back, I don't know if 2 bars, 1 bar with some regulation or what, but current exrk has very few utility.

coconutshrimp

One of Balanced strongest points was antiair/anticrossup, they took away that with general changes without thinking too much nor giving anything useful in exchange.
That strenght, in some way, needs to go back, I don't know if 2 bars, 1 bar with some regulation or what, but current exrk has very few utility.
There's no sensible way to do that. You can't just expect it to become a 2 bar armor launcher easily. Like how would you even animate that?

Besides it would be better to buff his tools overall to help compensate the loss of the armor launcher. Kinda like how pre patch Warlock was the one you went to for the armor and the other 2 were really strong in the other areas. Possessed could be the one with the strong armor that makes everyone salty and the other 2 could have other tools that help compensate the lack of good armor

Bleu231

Tohan playing shotgun
Something that I was pondering about for a while with Kenshi if they don't give us a 2-bar armored launcher is, if we parry an attack with EX Blade Reflect, the special move we cancel into gets one hit of armor? It will still get beat out by air attacks and lows though, not sure if we should get a hit of armor for reflecting a projectile.

It might be an absurd buff, but I'm curious as to what you guys think.

ismael4790

Something that I was pondering about for a while with Kenshi if they don't give us a 2-bar armored launcher is, if we parry an attack with EX Blade Reflect, the special move we cancel into gets one hit of armor? It will still get beat out by air attacks and lows though, not sure if we should get a hit of armor for reflecting a projectile.

It might be an absurd buff, but I'm curious as to what you guys think.
Sounds weird, but who knows lol.

Parry could get a startup decrease, that's for sure.

There's no sensible way to do that. You can't just expect it to become a 2 bar armor launcher easily. Like how would you even animate that?

Besides it would be better to buff his tools overall to help compensate the loss of the armor launcher. Kinda like how pre patch Warlock was the one you went to for the armor and the other 2 were really strong in the other areas. Possessed could be the one with the strong armor that makes everyone salty and the other 2 could have other tools that help compensate the lack of good armor
In a similar way to Kitana's double armor antiair. It's possible, and a must for Balanced. Right now the variation promotes jumping to him. Jumping should never be rewarded as a strategy, and Balanced just asks to do it to the opponent. Same with Kenjutsu.

Anyway, if they find it difficult to do the 2 bar thing, just increase the distance where exrk sends the opponent, so only tf connects after. He keeps the antiair, around 20% dmg midscreen, full corner combo, would help.
Or increase exrk scaling as a starter, so 1 bar armor launcher but getting less damage, similar to Jax exgotcha, 22% max.

Last edited:

Tweedy

Noob
If they made Balanced's rising karma like Kitana's EX DP, Balanced would be better than Possessed and top 10 imo.

I'm fine with it. Probably not the best balance decision for the game though.

ismael4790

If they made Balanced's rising karma like Kitana's EX DP, Balanced would be better than Possessed and top 10 imo.

I'm fine with it. Probably not the best balance decision for the game though.
Better than Possessed...don't know. But this change improving antiair would definitely increase the number of matchups where Balanced would be a better choice than Possessed or at least on par, that's for sure. Let him be good for once :D

Same with Kenjutsu if it gets armored exdb4 launching with 2 bars.

If they made an exception regarding armor launchers with Unbreakable Sub, they can do it with other armor dependant chars like Kenshi, or Lackey Ferra Torr, that got hurted in the patch. Imagine a spirit aura for Kenshi that, when active, gives old exrk back. Sick.

Last edited:

Fellow_Swordsman

"One mind, one blade."
Balanced in my opinion is better than what most people give it credit for, but it definitely needs a little help. This would be my suggested buffs.
- Give EX Rising Karma its armor back. It'll knock the opponent away full screen granting no followup, but can launch the opponent if an extra bar is spent.
- Speed up EX overhead slash to where it's more practical, but not to the point it becomes a 50/50 in conjunction with B3.
- Speaking of overhead slash, can we NOT be -1 on hit? Make it plus and that would be great.
- Make B2 hit overhead. It sounds weird but at least we'll have some kind of real mixup. It can be - on block if necessary, but still safe.

As for Kenjustu...
- Give EX DB4 its armor back. It'll cause a hard knockdown, but can leave the opponent stunned for a combo if an extra bar is spent.
- As for the regular DB4, a bar can also be spent to allow for a combo followup.
- If the other two variations have a + on block push, then I don't see why Kenjustu can't have one.

As for Possessed, he's completely fine. I'd probably nerf the hitbox on his EX overhead demon, and in turn give his EX DB1 the same treatment I would give EX Rising Karma. Kenshi in general should get his S3 and D4 sped up so his counter poke game doesn't suck, and that in turn helps out all three variations. Those are my two cents on the subject. I did my best to take into consideration what he actually needs and not make him super ultra S+++ Tier.

Balanced in my opinion is better than what most people give it credit for, but it definitely needs a little help. This would be my suggested buffs.
- Give EX Rising Karma its armor back. It'll knock the opponent away full screen granting no followup, but can launch the opponent if an extra bar is spent.
- Speed up EX overhead slash to where it's more practical, but not to the point it becomes a 50/50 in conjunction with B3.
- Speaking of overhead slash, can we NOT be -1 on hit? Make it plus and that would be great.
- Make B2 hit overhead. It sounds weird but at least we'll have some kind of real mixup. It can be - on block if necessary, but still safe.

As for Kenjustu...
- Give EX DB4 its armor back. It'll cause a hard knockdown, but can leave the opponent stunned for a combo if an extra bar is spent.
- As for the regular DB4, a bar can also be spent to allow for a combo followup.
- If the other two variations have a + on block push, then I don't see why Kenjustu can't have one.

As for Possessed, he's completely fine. I'd probably nerf the hitbox on his EX overhead demon, and in turn give his EX DB1 the same treatment I would give EX Rising Karma. Kenshi in general should get his S3 and D4 sped up so his counter poke game doesn't suck, and that in turn helps out all three variations. Those are my two cents on the subject. I did my best to take into consideration what he actually needs and not make him super ultra S+++ Tier.
I'm for making B2 in Balanced an overhead. He had it in MK9.

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
I've read time and time again that Kenshi's footsies or counter footsies is terrible. (And experienced it.)

If you could change one or two things to help with this. What would they be and why?

(Something that would help him, but not send the community into a frenzy.)

Edit: two >>> one or two.

Last edited:

coconutshrimp

I've read time and time again that Kenshi's footsies or counter footsies is terrible. (And experienced it.)

If you could change two things to help with this. What would they be and why?

(Something that would help him, but not send the community into a frenzy.)
Make D4 11 frames
That's literally the only one I can think of that won't send every other community into a rage

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....

tbh after playing this version of kenshi. It seems his neutral is a mixture of b1 checking people and mixing it up depending on variations. Tbvh its extremely boring and repetitive.Balanced is still rather underwhelming in the neutral due to run and various forward advancing mids. Overall sure possessed is in a better state but the game is stale. If I wanted to just b1 people 500 times in sets to "learn" match ups then I would have kept playing. Overall its boring and not dynamic in the least bit.