What's new

Ken announced for SF V

Zephyrus

TYM resident party pooper
Ken has no interesting mechanics, hes the same old shit in every game. Now he's got more ways to do flame torando kicks, so exciting! Him, Ryu, Cammy and Chun are all painfully dull. But they gotta get these tired and predictable characters out of the way to keep the fans happy(who for some reason value nostalgia over creativity or innovation).
did you watch the trailer?

I've played every street fighter since street fighter 2 and I've never seen Ken doing the moves he does in this trailer. Once he activates his V-trigger he becomes a new character

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Take note NRS. Character teases in character reveals, pre-release tournies with notable players, actual, solid information on how the game plays... this is how a fighting game SHOULD be promoted.

That being said, the game is looking better and better every time we see it. Still waiting for that Juri reveal though... ;)

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Alright, watched it again, still looks boring as fuck and completely lacking anything worth getting excited for. Now what did I miss again? He's got a few new things, nothing substantially new to the game as a whole. Am I supposed to get excited for a slightly different way to use my tornado kick from the air? Some different juggle properties? He still has most of the same old shit, he'll most likely just be a more aggressive Ryu like he always has. I want unique gameplay mechanics, divekicks, fireballs and uppercuts are not that. Simple enough to understand?

Play as in present tense? No, but I played several versions of 4, several versions of 2, a bit of 3S and played Alpha when I was a kid and the SF characters in the Marvel games. Ken and Ryu are probably the most boring SF characters in existence while they've gotten more distinct over time their differences are negligible. Flame uppercuts here, some flame tornado kicks here, slightly different footsies, etc etc.

Air lightning legs? That shit hasn't be new or interesting since I was a child. That move was pointless and uninteresting in 4 and seems to be the same in 5. It's a completely nostalgia and visual move. I can't imagine it being used much out of combos and if it is then cool it serves the purpose of a footsie but is a footsie tool that's that simple supposed to get me hyped?

Bison actually got changed in an interesting way and is a good example of a character that was stale in 4 that is now actually interesting. Entirely new mechanics for the character that aren't just oh look now I can do my patented move in the air.
Funny, Chun didn't have air lightning legs in 4.

Zephyrus

Alright, watched it again, still looks boring as fuck and completely lacking anything worth getting excited for. Now what did I miss again? He's got a few new things, nothing substantially new to the game as a whole. Am I supposed to get excited for a slightly different way to use my tornado kick from the air? Some different juggle properties? He still has most of the same old shit, he'll most likely just be a more aggressive Ryu like he always has. I want unique gameplay mechanics, divekicks, fireballs and uppercuts are not that. Simple enough to understand?

Play as in present tense? No, but I played several versions of 4, several versions of 2, a bit of 3S and played Alpha when I was a kid and the SF characters in the Marvel games. Ken and Ryu are probably the most boring SF characters in existence while they've gotten more distinct over time their differences are negligible. Flame uppercuts here, some flame tornado kicks here, slightly different footsies, etc etc.
I'm biting.

For starters, Ken has never had a divekick. He does now. His tatsumaki has never juggled before. It does now. He has never been this rushdown heavy before.

The similarities with Ryu in this game start and end with them having a Hadouken, a tatsumaki and a shoryuken. All these moves work differently from each other for these 2 characters and the differences become even greater when they're both in their V-trigger.

You keep fighting for team NRS games, don't think that you hide your true colors. The rest of us will enjoy the freshest street fighter games since third strike.

RM_NINfan101

Take note NRS. Character teases in character reveals, pre-release tournies with notable players, actual, solid information on how the game plays... this is how a fighting game SHOULD be promoted.

That being said, the game is looking better and better every time we see it. Still waiting for that Juri reveal though... ;)
Waifu will be revealed soon... I can feel it.

RM slacked

Shinnok trash from Canada.
So that doesn't seem to be Akuma, could be either Honda or that rumored boss character from New Zealand. Maximillian did a video on this rumor from the same people who leaked the FF7 remake months before it was announced.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
did you watch the trailer?

I've played every street fighter since street fighter 2 and I've never seen Ken doing the moves he does in this trailer. Once he activates his V-trigger he becomes a new character
He does slightly different moves, am I supposed to be impressed? A divekick is not new or impressive, new for Ken sure, new or interesting for fighting games as a whole? Fuck no. Look at Aganos from KI, his wall mechanic is awesome, never have I seen that in a fighting game. That's what I want, not oh, now ken has some new normals, some new target combos and a slightly few different properties on his existing moves.

Also I don't get why you guys keep asking if I watched the trailer? I did, many times. I'm truly confused how you don't understand what I'm getting at and that I'm not just talking out my ass.
Funny, Chun didn't have air lightning legs in 4.
Funny, you don't know how to read between the lines, or my edit that specified what I was referring to(because I knew you guys would somehow misunderstand). Regardless if she did or not it doesn't make the mechanic new, she's had it in Marvel for sure and it wasn't interesting there other than her lighting leg infinites which were amusing but not compelling on any sort of complex level.
I'm biting.

For starters, Ken has never had a divekick. He does now. His tatsumaki has never juggled before. It does now. He has never been this rushdown heavy before.

The similarities with Ryu in this game start and end with them having a Hadouken, a tatsumaki and a shoryuken. All these moves work differently from each other for these 2 characters and the differences become even greater when they're both in their V-trigger.

You keep fighting for team NRS games, don't think that you hide your true colors. The rest of us will enjoy the freshest street fighter games since third strike.
I'm fully aware Ken hasn't had a divekick, what you're not understanding is, why does that matter? And was I being literal when I said he's the same character? If you're not a complete idiot you'll realize I was not being literal. I'm aware of what is different, it's just not much.

I also don't get why you think I'm some NRS fanboy, somehow posting on TYM means I am biased and trying to hate on SF apparently. When in reality I have no major bias, I like both equally and have played more Capcom fighters than MK games. Personally I want to play SF5 more than MKX not because it's new, but because I think the new system mechanics and the fact that they made Bison interesting, added Birdie(rumors of Urien and Alex being added) and that it's going to be on PC, have cross play and most importantly looks much more interesting than 4, both in style and speed. So keep that bullshit out of here, I don't want to be a part of your little childish fanboy war that you people like to create between different games. It's also funny that you implied that I will not be playing SF5 because I find certain characters to be dull. If that shit was the case I wouldn't of even bought MKX, game has so many duds in it it's pathetic.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I would be shocked to see juri come back, idk if we'll see any that were new to 4 come back, though if any make it she probably has the best chance or Viper.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
He looks cool I guess, but I'm still all about that Bison atm.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
I would be shocked to see juri come back, idk if we'll see any that were new to 4 come back, though if any make it she probably has the best chance or Viper.
Gotta appease the otakus of Japan, she'll be back. The Japanese feet fetish community will make certain of that.

Zephyrus

He does slightly different moves, am I supposed to be impressed? A divekick is not new or impressive, new for Ken sure, new or interesting for fighting games as a whole? Fuck no. Look at Aganos from KI, his wall mechanic is awesome, never have I seen that in a fighting game. That's what I want, not oh, now ken has some new normals, some new target combos and a slightly few different properties on his existing moves.

Also I don't get why you guys keep asking if I watched the trailer? I did, many times. I'm truly confused how you don't understand what I'm getting at and that I'm not just talking out my ass.

Funny, you don't know how to read between the lines, or my edit that specified what I was referring to(because I knew you guys would somehow misunderstand). Regardless if she did or not it doesn't make the mechanic new, she's had it in Marvel for sure and it wasn't interesting there other than her lighting leg infinites which were amusing but not compelling on any sort of complex level.

I'm fully aware Ken hasn't had a divekick, what you're not understanding is, why does that matter? And was I being literal when I said he's the same character? If you're not a complete idiot you'll realize I was not being literal. I'm aware of what is different, it's just not much.

I also don't get why you think I'm some NRS fanboy, somehow posting on TYM means I am biased and trying to hate on SF apparently. When in reality I have no major bias, I like both equally and have played more Capcom fighters than MK games. Personally I want to play SF5 more than MKX not because it's new, but because I think the new system mechanics and the fact that they made Bison interesting, added Birdie(rumors of Urien and Alex being added) and that it's going to be on PC, have cross play and most importantly looks much more interesting than 4, both in style and speed. So keep that bullshit out of here, I don't want to be a part of your little childish fanboy war that you people like to create between different games. It's also funny that you implied that I will not be playing SF5 because I find certain characters to be dull. If that shit was the case I wouldn't of even bought MKX, game has so many duds in it it's pathetic.
Him doing "slightly" different moves change a lot about the character. It's funny how you mention Bison is now interesting while ignoring that he got the same treatment that Ken got. New moves, updated outfit and different properties on the old ones. And while I'm ahead let me say it's not actually a divekick. It's a dive tatsumaki. Why does it matter that different properties in his moves will alter how his combos will look and his entire fighting plan?
Johnny Cage has "slightly" different moves from his MK9 incarnation and yet he plays a lot differently.

You're having old character stay true to their persona and fighting style while finally getting an upgraded moveset and somehow this doesn't excite you?

This is the most radical change these characters have had since... since ever. If this doesn't excite you, why are you even in this thread? I ask this knowing you're here to troll and act like one of those console warriors who roam the threads from exclusive games that won't show up on their system badmouthing everything about the game.

You can talk all you want, but actions speak louder than words.

RM_NINfan101

There was a popularity poll that was done for people last year that was pretty much a "Who do you want to see in SFV?" poll. http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/mar/29/results-capcoms-street-fighter-favorite-characters-popularity-poll/

Juri is within the top 10 overall and in each region they polled.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I don't care how popular she is, it's not really capcom's style to bring back a lot of characters from the previous game into the next one. 3 > 4 only the standards made it back 2>3 same story. Just what I think, I'm fine being wrong, she was my second character (Adon being main)