What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kano Kano's Ruthless Matchup Discussion Thread

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Also I think Kano beats raiden pretty easily.. Ran a 12 game set against Paul b and seems like a pretty straifht forth Mu still it was only a short set.. Raiden cannot mb superman on reaction to knives. And j can recover on time to block if done just a little late. Then kano heavily outfootsies raiden.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Whose D'Vorahs have you played?
I think Dave played RunawayMafia's D'Vorah and fared well if I'm not mistaken. I gonna try to play him soon as well to see how I feel about it since I haven't ran an actual set against a good D'Vorah yet.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I think Dave played RunawayMafia's D'Vorah and fared well if I'm not mistaken. I gonna try to play him soon as well to see how I feel about it since I haven't ran an actual set against a good D'Vorah yet.
I definitely need to work on it. Its probably not too bad. Sometimes you just get outplayed and think it's the match up when really, you just got beat. Sometimes i forget that.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I definitely need to work on it. Its probably not too bad. Sometimes you just get outplayed and think it's the match up when really, you just got beat. Sometimes i forget that.
This is what I'm wondering about Jax like you were saying so I'm curious what others think about it.

On paper he seems like an amazing character, so it wouldn't be out of the realm to call it a bad MU. But when you lose really really badly to one of the best Jax players it's hard to tell whether it's because he was just that good and I had a lack of MU knowledge, or if it's actually a bad MU.

Fights I have exp in that I'd call bad MU's are for sure Scorpion, and Spec Ops Cassie. They're the only two MU's that I have a lot of exp in that make me want to switch for them. The two "top characters" Bojutsu and Summoner I actually think Kano wins those MU's.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
This is what I'm wondering about Jax like you were saying so I'm curious what others think about it.

On paper he seems like an amazing character, so it wouldn't be out of the realm to call it a bad MU. But when you lose really really badly to one of the best Jax players it's hard to tell whether it's because he was just that good and I had a lack of MU knowledge, or if it's actually a bad MU.

Fights I have exp in that I'd call bad MU's are for sure Scorpion, and Spec Ops Cassie. They're the only two MU's that I have a lot of exp in that make me want to switch for them. The two "top characters" Bojutsu and Summoner I actually think Kano wins those MU's.
What is it about Spec Ops Cassie that makes her so powerful? I've only fought Hollywood Cassies.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
What is it about Spec Ops Cassie that makes her so powerful? I've only fought Hollywood Cassies.
Hollywood Cassie's can be annoying with those mixups, but for the most part you can space her out and zone her pretty well. It's Spec Ops that gets rough.

When those missiles are used correctly it becomes difficult. It's 10x harder to zone with missiles coming in while she approaches. The MB missile forces you to either block or risk getting hit for a 30% juggle. When you block she's plus a billion and can perform her 50/50 as long as she isn't full screen, and if you guess wrong you eat a big corner carry ending in a hard knockdown into a guaranteed missile setup. If you wake up with Kano ball and it's blocked you eat the huge 212 combo, and by then you're in the corner taking huge corner damage. If you aren't dead here comes another missile setup in the corner lol. If you don't wake up you're in the missile trap. If you delay wakeup you're guessing on the 50/50. Missiles limit the amount of knives you can throw. That one addition of missiles changes the entire MU. Kano beats Hollywood and destroys Brawler, but Spec Ops not so much.

That's a simple way of saying it, but basically once you are touched once the momentum is so much in her favor. Every part of the fight is you having to be two steps ahead of what she's doing.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
The only mu I've had troube in is Jackie and thets probably only because dab is the best player I've fought in MKX by far

ando1184

Noob
The only mu I've had troube in is Jackie and thets probably only because dab is the best player I've fought in MKX by far
I too think this is really his only bad matchup at the moment. That's because her machine guns keep him at bay so well and when you do get in on her strings and pokes are fairly safe and good. So she has a way to apply pressure and knock you back away or get away herself, rinse and repeat. I also think Sonya might be pretty bad vs Kano because I struggle when she's in my face. That could also be that it's online though, but her tools and aggressive style are pretty solid imo. Why is everyone having a hard time vs scorpion? I don't find that matchup that hard at all?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I too think this is really his only bad matchup at the moment. That's because her machine guns keep him at bay so well and when you do get in on her strings and pokes are fairly safe and good. So she has a way to apply pressure and knock you back away or get away herself, rinse and repeat. I also think Sonya might be pretty bad vs Kano because I struggle when she's in my face. That could also be that it's online though, but her tools and aggressive style are pretty solid imo. Why is everyone having a hard time vs scorpion? I don't find that matchup that hard at all?
Really? Tell me the magic secret haha!!! i play the same Scorp/Sub almost every day and usually go 3-7 against even against Sub.

I used to have crazy problems against Sonya but now not so much. Not much you can do when she puts you in the corner and her pressure is tough, but once you know her strings down she's easy to block. And most of all, that Cyber zoning is too real in that MU.

I'm having some trouble against Slasher Jason. Seems like I can't punish anything he does, and most of his normals out-range Cybernetic Kano's. Including his ji2, the d2 loses to it about 50% of the time. Any tips?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I'm having some trouble against Slasher Jason. Seems like I can't punish anything he does, and most of his normals out-range Cybernetic Kano's. Including his ji2, the d2 loses to it about 50% of the time. Any tips?
What are you having problems punishing? Do you have Jason? The online may be effecting the punish window.

If you have him go to practice mode and set the move/string you want to punish and test which moves punish it. For example, if you're not punishing his F42 string, set it in practice and try options to punish, then you'd find that you can 112~combo any time you block the string.

Do it with whatever normals/specials you want to punish until you have them all.

What are you having problems punishing? Do you have Jason? The online may be effecting the punish window.

If you have him go to practice mode and set the move/string you want to punish and test which moves punish it. For example, if you're not punishing his F42 string, set it in practice and try options to punish, then you'd find that you can 112~combo any time you block the string.

Do it with whatever normals/specials you want to punish until you have them all.
No, it's not the f42, it's just the special moves. The Hack' n' Slash and whatever and the charge thing is called. Both of them are negative but it doesn't feel that way, especially since they put you way out of range to punish. I have Jason, and I've tried punishing him in practice mode. But it just seems like it puts it back to normal, and then his normals outrange with the machete. The only way I've been able to beat him is toplay lame the whole game.

Edit: Although, I AM new at this game, and not great at fighting games. So it could just be that I suck.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
No, it's not the f42, it's just the special moves. The Hack' n' Slash and whatever and the charge thing is called. Both of them are negative but it doesn't feel that way, especially since they put you way out of range to punish. I have Jason, and I've tried punishing him in practice mode. But it just seems like it puts it back to normal, and then his normals outrange with the machete. The only way I've been able to beat him is toplay lame the whole game.

Edit: Although, I AM new at this game, and not great at fighting games. So it could just be that I suck.
I won't be able to check until later and have barely played Jason, but have you tried F4? Or F4~laser~combo? I would assume that would work after his blocked shoulder and such as a punish.

CanadianBaconX

Let's see how long this lasts...
According to in game frame data...

Psycho Slash: -10
Hack n' Slash: -5
Shoulder Push: -6
Shoulder Charge: -6

So technically you can't punish any of the Shoulder charges or the EX Hack n' Slash. However both shoulder moves are high hitting so, you can neutral duck the move and full combo punish it on whiff.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
According to in game frame data...

Psycho Slash: -10
Hack n' Slash: -5
Shoulder Push: -6
Shoulder Charge: -6

So technically you can't punish any of the Shoulder charges or the EX Hack n' Slash. However both shoulder moves are high hitting so, you can neutral duck the move and full combo punish it on whiff.
No one has specials that safe. That DLC treatment. :DOGE

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
So I was having some issues with Erron last night. When I can consistently zone him and control space I can get the better of him, but once he gets inside, even when I block his 50/50 starters (which I do pretty well now) I still get caught with things. Like

-I'm blocking his string but that command grab comes out before I can react and tackles me.

-I'm trying to apply pressure and he interrupts with MB Armor Sand for full combo.

-I try to anticipate command grab but get hit by a normal during the string

These things are happening as much as something can happen and it gets annoying at times. I'm now starting to play the really good Erron users so these extra tactics are new to me. I know @Decay you have exp against Arma's Erron. Any tips on how to deal with post-block shenanigans or MB Sand pressure interrupts?

@Anyone else with MU exp.

Decay

King of the Bill
So I was having some issues with Erron last night. When I can consistently zone him and control space I can get the better of him, but once he gets inside, even when I block his 50/50 starters (which I do pretty well now) I still get caught with things. Like

-I'm blocking his string but that command grab comes out before I can react and tackles me.

-I'm trying to apply pressure and he interrupts with MB Armor Sand for full combo.

-I try to anticipate command grab but get hit by a normal during the string

These things are happening as much as something can happen and it gets annoying at times. I'm now starting to play the really good Erron users so these extra tactics are new to me. I know @Decay you have exp against Arma's Erron. Any tips on how to deal with post-block shenanigans or MB Sand pressure interrupts?

@Anyone else with MU exp.
Erron is broken dude, you just gotta get lucky and make godlike reads lol. In all seriousness I'll wrote back when I get home and hopefully be able to come up with something. EB is annoying

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I'm gonna take him in the lab before a local tourny this week and identify where I can fit parries in his strings. Will help limit his options.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Erron is broken dude, you just gotta get lucky and make godlike reads lol.
Actually, that's exactly how it felt at certain points after blocking because you still don't know what he's gonna do lol.

In all seriousness I'll wrote back when I get home and hopefully be able to come up with something. EB is annoying
Cool thanks, very much appreciated. Yea I didn't realize just how annoying until these last couple of nights. Still a winnable MU, but those things have been killing me since I upped the Erron ladder.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Really? Tell me the magic secret haha!!! i play the same Scorp/Sub almost every day and usually go 3-7 against even against Sub.

I used to have crazy problems against Sonya but now not so much. Not much you can do when she puts you in the corner and her pressure is tough, but once you know her strings down she's easy to block. And most of all, that Cyber zoning is too real in that MU.
I know you guys are currently discussing a few other MU's. But I wanted to take a sec and go back to Sonya. I've been playing her as an alt. Not sure why but I have. Anyway in looking into her and watching some matches by players much better than I. I have to say that Spec Ops variation may be a problem down the road. I say down the road because it's execution heavy and I find it hard to utilize myself being hardly above scrub level. But once she has it she's going to get in.

Curious on your thoughts since Covert Ops is by far her most popular variation but many Sonya's are starting to realize that drone is where it's at for many many MU's. I'm sure it'll be hard to get out against cyber, but you know it's gonna happen eventually. I could be wrong though.

Also agreed. Playing as her against good zoning is much too real lol.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
You know what I noticed? Commando Kano can high parry the 3 in Erron's F13. Lmaooooooooooooooo

Maybe Commando is the best option against Erron, who knows? He wants to play relentless rushdown, maybe we just slow him down a little and make HIM have to guess too.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
You know what I noticed? Commando Kano can high parry the 3 in Erron's F13. Lmaooooooooooooooo

Maybe Commando is the best option against Erron, who knows? He wants to play relentless rushdown, maybe we just slow him down a little and make HIM have to guess too.
great, thanks for savin' me a little work. I actually kind of firmly believe at this point that Kano players are going to find commando immensely effective against rushdown characters, they better start practicing those DBF motions now :p.