What's new

General/Other - Cybernetic Kano's Cybernetic Variation Discussion Thread

gibster13

A fan of fans
8/10 is a bit of a stretch. He has good buttons but that's him universally, once people start actually punishing him properly (blocked knife and blocked eye lazer up close) then you'll see he's just getting away with mostly gimmicks. Overall Kano is fundamentally strong yes, but specifically cyber lacks the "dirt" the top 10 in this game have. He's good but I wouldn't say top 10 good.
I didn't say top 10 good. Kano doesn't need to gimmick, just play strong fundamentally and your ready. He doesn't need to be punished unless a Exbf3 is block and other things. He is generally a very safe character. I feel he is still slightly down played

I think he also wins a hell of a lot of match ups

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I didn't say top 10 good. Kano doesn't need to gimmick, just play strong fundamentally and your ready. He doesn't need to be punished unless a Exbf3 is block and other things. He is generally a very safe character. I feel he is still slightly down played

Like? The issue with cyber is that the knives do no damage, your specials aren't safe so you don't build as much meter nor do chip, his variation special string is weaker than his commando and ct equivalents and his specials add little.

Fresh900

"Cooler than a polar bear's toenails." #Outkast
If you know how to use Cyber - he is a very good and fun character to play. Beating up on top tier characters who have endless 50/50's and mixups is worth putting in the effort to master Cyber (imo). Easy money, baby.

ando1184

Noob

And I think he is a little too up played. Sorry I didn't understand what you meant as far as 8/10. But this is mkXL and in mkXL he just plays ok but has to work harder than the vast majority of characters with 50/50's and higher dmg output. Like I said earlier, once people start punishing him properly he will start to look exactly how he is, and that's directly in mid tier status. His 50/50 in cyber is high risk, low reward, b3 gets crushed and counter poked by lows more than it crushes them itself, and his zoning is overrated bc it does a mere 5% unless he burns a bar (8% yay). This character is meant to piss off the opponent and capitalize on their mistakes and it has to happen over and over again through out the match. It's the player that carries this character, not the other way around. You're right about being played fundamentally, but tbh I think people are still just not playing the matchups correctly. What matchups do you think he wins exactly?

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Cybernetic is not 8/10, not downplayed and doesn't win a "hell of a lot" of matchups. He's just....there now. It's sad that he might possibly be in contention for one of the bottom ten variations in the game at this point.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Cybernetic is a Street Fighter character design that somehow ended up in MKX. He isn't bad, but his damage sucks compared to most characters who have far more abusive tools.

His main whiff punisher, which is b13, gets 25% meterless, whilst Piercing Mileena gets 35% meterless from her main whiff punisher which also has about 3 times the range of his b1. His knives are mids sure, but her sais recover in only a couple of more frames, are more safe on block and do more damage. So whilst they're not a mid, the start-up and travel speed of them essentially makes them a mid.

Mileena also has better armour breaking capabilities, better staggers and much better mixups. She has faster pokes and two different anti-zoning tools.

Piercing does exactly the same play style as Cyber but she gets rewarded a whole lot more for it and has a lot more options. Cybernetic NEEDS to do more damage if he is to stand a chance.

Last edited:

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Cybernetic is a Street Fighter character design that somehow ended up in MKX. He isn't bad, but his damage sucks compared to most characters who have far more abusive tools.

His main whiff punisher, which is b13, gets 25% meterless, whilst Piercing Mileena gets 35% meterless from her main whiff punisher which also has about 3 times the range of his b1. His knives are mids sure, but her sais recover in only a couple of frames less, are more safe on block and do more damage. So whilst they're not a mid, the start-up and travel speed of them essentially makes them a mid.

Mileena also has better armour breaking capabilities, better staggers and much better mixups. She has faster pokes and two different anti-zoning tools.

Piercing does exactly the same play style as Cyber but she gets rewarded a whole lot more for it and has a lot more options. Cybernetic NEEDS to do more damage if he is to stand a chance.
Phos on point as usual

NHDR

Noob
Cybernetic is a Street Fighter character design that somehow ended up in MKX.
Yup. I remember I said this even when the game first came out, though at least back then Cyber was somewhat stronger. He's a decent character still, just definitely not "safe" or 8/10 as suggested.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
He's not terribly bad. Mid tier sure but oh well. People would complain anyways saying both CT and Cyber are too powerful and easy-to-use and blah blah blah.

He's just fine the way he is. He's mu specific but he obviously can go toe to toe with most and pull of a W. It takes A LOT of work to do so against other characters like Kotal, Sonya, Jax, Sub, Millena. Even Kenshi and reptile can give cyber a very tough day in the yard but if the player is on point. The player I say. Cyber can pull off a W.

Y'all right tho. He's in the middle. Maybe close to the bottom in some respects compared to let's say a Cassie, Kitana, Kang, Slasher Jason and of course Millena who everyone is bitching about.

Sure compared to them and others he's no viable. Not good enough. Garbage even but he can win those mu tho.

And he's mid tier. And I'm ok with my main perfectly right there. He plays completely different from cmd and CT where fundamentals, footsies, spacing, mix ups and some forethought is his weapons and use of the clock with his so so zoning brings the opponent to you rather than CT and cmd are more offensively minded in design.

Just my opinion tho.

I love my Cybernetic Kano.

Gofer_MK_

Banned
Just yesturday I have went back to playing Cybernetics (have not touched him for 2 months) and dayum it is awsome. I'm having so much fun right now. B13 D1 B13 throw block bait etc. it is awsome to pin down people in the corner for a bit like that. I forgot how much fun it is to play a non 50/50 character.

Last edited:

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Good stuff, I used to think commando was the way to go since counters play such an effective part in the match up (vs punch walk, tic throws, ex stomp on the way up), but after seeing I might have to agree with you @MsMiharo. Nice vid as always man :)
I'm torn between, being able to punish ex punchwalk and nullify punchwalk into ex punchwalk mindgames is huge, but with cyber you can keep him out all game and save meter for breakers, armor break and ex upball

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
That upgraded up laser. It's really the difference maker in how to keep opponents out like Kung Lao, Tanya, Triborg and sometimes Kitana and Sonya.

@MsMiharo gave me the tip of F4 after laser which is good and most of the time is consistent to connect since I rather use my stamina more so for backdashes and breakers more so than run cancels, after I use up laser.

I'm not too sure about the teleport punishes behind kano since the game auto corrects on front facing opponents. Not sure what can be measured frame wise or by the recovery but I've had history of pressing buttons and catching tele's earlier and later with 1, 122, f2, b2, D3, std laser & knives. It's so quick when it happens for me I tend to either miss converting to some serious punishment or I automatically go into grenade strings.

It's a nice video you have there and I'm glad people are paying a lil attention to cyber. More vids if possible @MsMiharo please since I myself can't lab or play anything till my hands heal from surgery.

Great stuff.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
That upgraded up laser. It's really the difference maker in how to keep opponents out like Kung Lao, Tanya, Triborg and sometimes Kitana and Sonya.

@MsMiharo gave me the tip of F4 after laser which is good and most of the time is consistent to connect since I rather use my stamina more so for backdashes and breakers more so than run cancels, after I use up laser.

I'm not too sure about the teleport punishes behind kano since the game auto corrects on front facing opponents. Not sure what can be measured frame wise or by the recovery but I've had history of pressing buttons and catching tele's earlier and later with 1, 122, f2, b2, D3, std laser & knives. It's so quick when it happens for me I tend to either miss converting to some serious punishment or I automatically go into grenade strings.

It's a nice video you have there and I'm glad people are paying a lil attention to cyber. More vids if possible @MsMiharo please since I myself can't lab or play anything till my hands heal from surgery.

Great stuff.
I only play Cyber in two MUs atm, but I can make a similar breakdown to the Alien MU. I think he does OK vs Bo but who teh fuck plays Bo amirite