What's new

General/Other - Cutthroat Kano's Cutthroat Variation Discussion Thread

Not sure if this combo has been found yet but I find it easier to pull off consistently online:
112 xx db1 (ex), njp, jf4 xx bf3 (33%)

If you happen to be powered up it's 44% normal power up and 49% ex.

I know b12 and b121 xx ex power up are safe on block but I also discovered that b32 xx ex power up is also safe on block.
with the 112 starter, you're better off doing 112 xx db1 (ex), F212 xx RC xx 112 BF3 for 37% i believe

on punishes, the best 1 meter I know is F212 , F212, 112 xx db1 (ex) xx RC 4 xx DB3 for 39%

Last edited:

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
with the 112 starter, you're better off doing 112 xx db1 (ex), F212 xx RC xx 112 BF3 for 37% i believe

on punishes, the best 1 meter I know is F212 , F212, 112 xx db1 (ex) xx RC 4 xx DB3 for 39%
And all this time I've been doing 112xxdb3 for the same damage

EDIT: F212 F212 112xxEXdb1 4xxbf3 does 38%

And all this time I've been doing 112xxdb3 for the same damage

EDIT: F212 F212 112xxEXdb1 4xxbf3 does 38%
shiiit, I could never connect that so I figured that it wasn't possible :X

EDIT: Actually, the 112 DB3 isn't possible mid screen, so the 4 DB3 is the way to go mid screen

Last edited:

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Hey guys, I know there are a lot of Cutthroat bnb vids out there but I made one too because most of them were outdated or not that damaging. So here's the BnB's I use and I try to always get the max damage out of them as possible, tell me whatcha think :)

That 42% corner combo from 1,1,2 with one bar feels weird at first, very creative though, didn't know about that one. Double b1,2,1 xx ex bladeslice into run cancel b1,2,1 xx kanoball does 32% though, if you get 31% you are doing it too early. I personally prefer f4 xx kanoball instead of 1,1,2 xx kanoball midscreen because of the stamina usage, if you autopilot the 1,1,2 ender you may drop it if lets say you blocked some Takeda string and ran from outside jump distance to punish with f2 and you don't have full bar of stamina when attempting to RC into 1,1,2, but that's just personal preference. I am generally bad at adjusting combos on the fly and don't mind dropping 1 or 2% of damage for consistency.

Anyway I think you just made the definitive Cutthroat Kano combo guide. If his damage stays the same then this is only Kano combo video anyone wanting to pick up Cutthroat needs to see. Excellent work.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Is B1,2 xx EX buff 112 just extremely hard to do now? was this mentioned in patch notes or anything?
No. It's just a bit tough to get consistently, at least for a mere mortal like myself. If you have trouble with it you could always go for a mix up after the EX power up. If you're wrong I believe you get solid chip damage and you will still be safe. If you're right, holy shit the damage you get.

KMK

Noob
I also have trouble with people jumping over my head online. I am finding ermac to be the one killing me on it scorpion 2nd place

KMK

Noob
no one has talked about kano's d1 the frame advantage is crazy on hit. I have not really found much use of it but I am sure someone can

Dukmunky

Arms Dealer, including all 4 of Goro's
Need some advice from the vets here.

I'm trying to level up my game by building some flow charts, like: PRESSURE: d3 if hit then X, if block, then Y or Z. Does anyone have and examples of their little systems like this I might be able to build off of?

Need some advice from the vets here.

I'm trying to level up my game by building some flow charts, like: PRESSURE: d3 if hit then X, if block, then Y or Z. Does anyone have and examples of their little systems like this I might be able to build off of?
off of a hit d3, I usually run in for a quick overhead or low starter 50/50 into full combo if it hits. On block, usually just go back to blocking or back dash and regain space

off of a landed overhead, cancel into ex DB1 on the 2nd hit into full combo, and if blocked, finish the string which leaves you at 0 frames.
same thing with the landed starter, cancel ito ex DB1 on the 2nd hit, if blocked, finish the string and go back to blocking

ando1184

Noob
no one has talked about kano's d1 the frame advantage is crazy on hit. I have not really found much use of it but I am sure someone can
I tried testing scenarios with D1 awhile back and I think the frame data might be wrong. I was trying to see if I could get a safe setup for activating his buff in the corner so I would combo ex ball and cancel into d1 ex buff and try and continue pressure. I stopped doing this because I got poked out of buff activation everytime. I do b31, ex buff now because that does allow you to get it out safely on hit and the frame data says that's only +1 now. So yeh, I think the frame data on certain moves are still incorrect and d1 is one of em.

CanadianBaconX

Let's see how long this lasts...
So, after a short fling with Tanya, I came back to Kano and decided to give Cutthroat a whirl since I've spent the least time with it, focusing on Commando with a hint of Cybernetics. I looked over most of the information about his 50/50s and buff but, I saw very little about using the armour that EX Buff gives you.

While testing it, I found for the most part it's not useful for string interrupts cause you recover too slowly to hit them in the gap. Granted it could allow you to go into your 50/50s but, I would use it like this rarely because they can D1 you and sometimes the B1 still misses T-T (tested with Cassie's B124 string)

The only thing I saw this be useful for is raw specials. Instead of blocking, you can parry with EX Buff and get a 45% punish (59% with the extra bar). I have some examples in the video below.

This also allows for some interesting uses for the armor on EX Buff... Like this Cassie Cage EX Missile call punish combo.

#BuffKano

Dukmunky

Arms Dealer, including all 4 of Goro's
So, after a short fling with Tanya, I came back to Kano and decided to give Cutthroat a whirl since I've spent the least time with it, focusing on Commando with a hint of Cybernetics. I looked over most of the information about his 50/50s and buff but, I saw very little about using the armour that EX Buff gives you.

While testing it, I found for the most part it's not useful for string interrupts cause you recover too slowly to hit them in the gap. Granted it could allow you to go into your 50/50s but, I would use it like this rarely because they can D1 you and sometimes the B1 still misses T-T (tested with Cassie's B124 string)

The only thing I saw this be useful for is raw specials. Instead of blocking, you can parry with EX Buff and get a 45% punish (59% with the extra bar). I have some examples in the video below.

This also allows for some interesting uses for the armor on EX Buff... Like this Cassie Cage EX Missile call punish combo.

#BuffKano
Genius

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

#BuffKano
Yoooo!!!! Good stuff. Going to start experimenting with this. Can be a better armor punisher than ball in some situations for sure.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther

#BuffKano
That's a nifty gimmick! I wonder how many specials it works on though.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I think the power up parry could be practical after some knockdowns that don't really give much of an advantage, such as throws and normal aerial kanoball. Maybe even something like a string into a blocked knife, then ex power up when anticipating a d4, you probably can't punish a d4 if parried though, gotta do some testing.

CanadianBaconX

Let's see how long this lasts...
I think the power up parry could be practical after some knockdowns that don't really give much of an advantage, such as throws and normal aerial kanoball. Maybe even something like a string into a blocked knife, then ex power up when anticipating a d4, you probably can't punish a d4 if parried though, gotta do some testing.
Yeah d4 might not work, cause they could recover too fast. Also might be too far away to go for 50/50s, still should test it. I think it'll be best for punishing already punishable moves or moves that have long recovery but, are normally safe due to blockstun.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I did some testing. Strings can be cancelled into knife or you could do b3,1,2 and then ex power up into ex kano ball to parry/armor entire strings, works on Kano's f2,1 and 2,f4, but not on 3,2 as the 2nd hit comes out too fast. You will be spending 2 bars but it's a safer option then committing to ex kanoball, so I think this might be useful. If you get hit by a d4 during the ex powerup I think the situation is at somewhat of a neutral.

Edit: Ok the ex power up into ex kanoball is hardly useful, Cassie b1,2 and Jax f2,1 hit you with the 2nd hit of their strings before you can even block after the ex power up so most likely most of the cast will hit you out of the ex power up into ex kanoball sequence if they use a standing string. The advantage/disadvantage of a parried d4 depends on the recovery of the d4 used.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I did some testing. Strings can be cancelled into knife or you could do b3,1,2 and then ex power up into ex kano ball to parry/armor entire strings, works on Kano's f2,1 and 2,f4, but not on 3,2 as the 2nd hit comes out too fast. You will be spending 2 bars but it's a safer option then committing to ex kanoball, so I think this might be useful. If you get hit by a d4 during the ex powerup I think the situation is at somewhat of a neutral.

Edit: Ok the ex power up into ex kanoball is hardly useful, Cassie b1,2 and Jax f2,1 hit you with the 2nd hit of their strings before you can even block after the ex power up so most likely most of the cast will hit you out of the ex power up into ex kanoball sequence if they use a standing string. The advantage/disadvantage of a parried d4 depends on the recovery of the d4 used.
Does it work as good as EX KanoBall does interrupting strings? Like are you able to interrupt strings into combos or can you only interrupt and block?

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Does it work as good as EX KanoBall does interrupting strings? Like are you able to interrupt strings into combos or can you only interrupt and block?
No, you don't get a punish, unless its some string with absolutely horrendous recovery like Takeda's b2,1,2+4. He gets to block after b2,1 xx kunai before you can even move after absorbing the Kunai with ex power up.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I think you can punish Kotal Kahn's unblockable in war god, after you block the mid hit you just ex power up and punish him as he is recovering from the unblockable, I mean you can backdash after blocking the mid and the unblockable whiffs in your BD invincibility frames and you can run back up to punish him, same as some of Takeda's whip attacks, on a hard read you could get some serious swag points for pulling off an ex power up parry into punish but these are so character specific and for moves that are extremely unsafe anyway...

Hmmm maybe you could punish tic throws with ex power up to parry the throw? Gotta test...

Edit: Ex power up punishes all command grabs except Jason's it seems like the special you are parrying with ex power up has to have at least 30 frames of recovery for Kano's 1 jab to punish.

Last edited: