What's new

Question - Kano KANO needs some buffs?

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
Kano Buffs/Fixes (If any)

1: Up Ball almost never hits on the first active frame, can't punish moves that are -6 even though it starts in 6f. Please fix this is probably the one thing that annoys me the most.

2: One 6-7 frame button, just one, I don't care which one. But one would be nice

3: At least one buffed jump button. With the exception of jump 1 for air to airs, all his jump ins suck to me.

Buffs/changes outside of these 3 things (at least one of them) would be completely unnecessary imo and if he does get it than I'll thank a lot of you guys for complaining about him being mid tier or worse. :)

In the Commando variation, they should allow you to do a grab after B31. You know how horrible it is knowing that you can't grab the opponent after that, leaving you even more open?

1: Up Ball almost never hits on the first active frame, can't punish moves that are -6 even though it starts in 6f. Please fix this is probably the one thing that annoys me the most.

2: One 6-7 frame button, just one, I don't care which one. But one would be nice

3: At least one buffed jump button. With the exception of jump 1 for air to airs, all his jump ins suck to me.

Buffs/changes outside of these 3 things (at least one of them) would be completely unnecessary imo and if he does get it than I'll thank a lot of you guys for complaining about him being mid tier or worse. :)

I totally agree; the only thing, that really brother me is his jumping.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)

I guess a 6 frame standing 1 would make the Scorpion matchup easier since it'd open up F2 punishes for us, but technically Up Ball being 6 frames already covers a 6/7 frame button so stop trying to break him :DOGE

I'm pretty sure you can't punish -6 moves with 6 frame moves anyway, that's just always been an MK/NRS thing.

His J4 is pretty decent, he sticks it out in front of him. But with Kano the threat of Kano Ball is the point, his jump attacks are fine as they are considering he can mix them up with Kano Ball. They want to anti-air you? BAMKANOBALL. Then when you've conditioned them to block BAMFREEJUMPINS. Even then you should be playing the ground game with Kano, you really are trying to break him! Kappa

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
My biggest problem is the up ball. If tempest Lao can punish a -7 move that is in range with a spin, and Cassie can do the same with a flip kick, I should be able to do the same with Up Ball. But it almost never hits on the first active frame. Even when a move leaves them really close to me. It can only punish -8 moves and up which should not be. A move that's -6 can't be punish with a 6f normal, but that rule doesn't apply to reversal specials. -(insert number here) is punishable by a move that has that number start up.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
My biggest problem is the up ball. If tempest Lao can punish a -7 move that is in range with a spin, and Cassie can do the same with a flip kick, I should be able to do the same with Up Ball. But it almost never hits on the first active frame. Even when a move leaves them really close to me. It can only punish -8 moves and up which should not be. A move that's -6 can't be punish with a 6f normal, but that rule doesn't apply to reversal specials. -(insert number here) is punishable by a move that has that number start up.
...but the ball has a lot more reach than either of those moves.

Also, if you want that tool - choose one of the characters that have it.

GAV

If they make these changes, then...
...but in the meanwhile...

GAV

Why was it funny to you? This was obviously not a troll or a joking comment, so I don't see the need for you to "rate" that comment. Just explain why you feel that the comment wasn't right
...because if you know the frame data, you can tick that one pretty easily with great consistency. If you got the whiff animation, you went early - so just adjust accordingly and it will work.

He rated it because it illustrated a lack of understanding - or a lack of resiliency to get that understanding.

He was trying to give a heads up, but going any further with it makes it like my post - which wasn't meant to be personal, but most likely will be taken that way. It is fully meant just as a heads up.

GAV

Up ball sucks, what are you talking about?
I actually started using Kano because of the Up-ball. I was so sick of players jumping away from Kotal. The Up-Ball was just what I needed.

It doesn't branch to more damage, but it is very consistently reliable.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
...because if you know the frame data, you can tick that one pretty easily with great consistency. If you got the whiff animation, you went early - so just adjust accordingly and it will work.

He rated it because it illustrated a lack of understanding - or a lack of resiliency to get that understanding.

He was trying to give a heads up, but going any further with it makes it like my post - which wasn't meant to be personal, but most likely will be taken that way. It is fully meant just as a heads up.
Had to reply to clear up. B31 isn't convertible into a tick grab. That would mean you could cancel the 1 into command grab on block to guarantee the grab.

GAV

I just ran into a Cybernetic Kano that had some great combos. Apparently, B2 has a ton of hit-stun - and coupled it with his combos into his eye laser to hit really hard.

ando1184

Noob
If you have to adjust the timing of your input then it's not a true tic throw. Being a tic throw means special canceling your string on block and having the throw land. Saying to adjust the timing means it's not a true tic throw setup, don't take this the wrong way but that's how tic throws have worked since injustice. Erron black has "14" actual tic throw setups, and he's not designed as the grappler of this game :(

@MrInsaynne, your list was pretty fair but I think his up ball needs more attention as an AA as well since it whiffs a lot on solid reads. In cutthroat his b1 needs a bigger hitbox, I say this bc I get d1 a lot if I go for a run up and b1 scenario midscreen. This is after I land db1 for example; 112, db1, run b1. I get poked out of it all the time and I know I'm doing it as fast as possible. I'm just saying it's meant to act as his 50/50 but it's so easily negated.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Lol you can't have an abundant amount of tick throw setups on a 20% meter less grab that knocks the opponent down right next to you for more pressure. That's plain stupid. If he gets a buff that is not the one that he needs

FlappyDaniel

It's not 20% meterless, it's 16% meterless. The knock down is also not right next to us, only if it's his backthrow version, otherwise rib breaker sends them flying a character length or farther away, so you need to run or forward dash to continue pressure first, so just block low no matter what since it's Kano, then it's up to the kano player to try and convert a D4 on reaction to the block into a tick throw. It's not like we get a free 50/50 on your oki. Just jump or BD on wakeup and you'll beat almost all of Commando's oki options. Jump is risky because of B1 obviously, but still usable if you see the Kano not AAing effectively with B1

Error

DF2+R2
Lol you can't have an abundant amount of tick throw setups on a 20% meter less grab that knocks the opponent down right next to you for more pressure. That's plain stupid. If he gets a buff that is not the one that he needs
Command throws only do 20% with meter, they are his main source of mix-up damage, and he has no meaningful ticks outside of low pokes and a bad string currently.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Command throws only do 20% with meter, they are his main source of mix-up damage, and he has no meaningful ticks outside of low pokes and a bad string currently.
Oh yea meh I guess give to him. But screw that. First cybernetics needs some buff love lol

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Commando needs it more than Cybernetic, at least we get a good zoning tool and combo extender for more damage...

FlappyDaniel

Commando skill ceiling is higher is all. I think the tools are there right now. I convert around 20% of tick throws right now (main tool being D4). If I was at like 70-100% I would be SO much better it's insane. Same with parries. Commando has more that lends itself to a really good player with a lot of game knowledge, I am neither, thus why I am struggling currently, but Imma keep grindin'.