What's new

Question - Kano KANO needs some buffs?

Error

DF2+R2
Commando skill ceiling is higher is all. I think the tools are there right now. I convert around 20% of tick throws right now (main tool being D4). If I was at like 70-100% I would be SO much better it's insane. Same with parries. Commando has more that lends itself to a really good player with a lot of game knowledge, I am neither, thus why I am struggling currently, but Imma keep grindin'.
You could say that, but not having a tick string that actually makes opponents want to risk blocking does do commando some harm, and I doubt anyone could possibly land ticks 100% of the time without making it a commitment and putting self at risk of constant whiff punishment, this is probably something all players who use grapplers can sympathize with, "I wish I went for more tick throws."

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I would definitely like for a useable string to be tickable. If it's any of the 2 hit strings I use in pressure even. And yeah... I really don't go for them unless I can react fast enough and confirm, otherwise it's too much of a risk to me. Full whiff Punish vs 16% dmg.

edit: I can just picture it now. If like B13, for example, became a tick throw suddenly we would be getting so much bitching about how you HAVE to get hit by the 3 if you want to be safe from a tick throw. Maybe that means B31 is a better candidate. Would make it so if you block low you could be punished but you can also just be punished by the string if you block high, would effectively give him one of the all mighty 50/50s of the game, just not nearly as damaging.

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
Welp. Kano got some nice buffs. Thanks guys!

• Kano - Black Dragon Ball (enhanced) damage increased by 4
  • Kano - Uprise Ball (enhanced) damage increased by 3 and is now -5 on block (down from -27)
  • Kano (Commando) – Choke & Strangle are now -4 on block (down from -14)

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
...but the ball has a lot more reach than either of those moves.

Also, if you want that tool - choose one of the characters that have it.
Up ball has more reach than Kung Lao's EX spin? News to me. Does Kano get a full combo for doing EX Up Ball like Lao does for EX Spin (or even regular spin)? No.

My suggestion is merely so that he can use his fastest move to actually punish things that are -6 or -7 on block. It's a fix, not a buff. There's a difference. A SIX frame move can't punish something that's -7? This issue is only with Kano. Come on.....

FlappyDaniel

• Kano - Black Dragon Ball (enhanced) damage increased by 4
  • Kano - Uprise Ball (enhanced) damage increased by 3 and is now -5 on block (down from -27)
  • Kano (Commando) – Choke & Strangle are now -4 on block (down from -14)
/thread
OH SWEET BABY JESUS YES! :O

LOCO

DADDY BARAKA
that choke baby
...yes

i think i hit a mkx noob moment too, have we always been able to special out of block? i swear in mk9 we couldnt, have we always been able to do this in mkx and i just had noobed it up this whole time lol?

Honestly how great is the up ball buff? It says enhanced, I hardly use the enhanced up ball. Is that now the best wake up? I use ex normal ball on wake up if I'm getting too pressured because it leads to a decent combo.

The other 2 buffs are pretty cool but i wish choke was maybe -2 instead. I was really hoping for an overhead. I don't I guess I gotta try that choke buff in action once I get home.

FlappyDaniel

This theoretically makes ex up ball a MUCH better armored move with more priority since it's so much faster.

also the whole thing with commando is you don't need an overhead because your command grab is the overhead. just think of it like that.

Error

DF2+R2
Honestly how great is the up ball buff? It says enhanced, I hardly use the enhanced up ball. Is that now the best wake up? I use ex normal ball on wake up if I'm getting too pressured because it leads to a decent combo.

The other 2 buffs are pretty cool but i wish choke was maybe -2 instead. I was really hoping for an overhead. I don't I guess I gotta try that choke buff in action once I get home.
It's now the safer wake-up option and also a safe armor breaking move.

ando1184

Noob
The MB Kano ball buff is unnecessary and useless. It only applies if doing MB Kano ball and that's it. He gets no increased damage when using it to extend combos. Seriously, am I the only one who thinks these buffs were just to hush us up? He didn't get what he NEEDS. He needs a bigger hitbox on b1 in cutthroat, he needs his command throws to not whiff vs grounded attacking opponents in commando, he needs his up ball to just act as a reliable AA, he needs his 112 to not whiff on ducking opponents (scorpion can actually crouch "block" the entire string and it completely whiffs), sorry I'm venting guys but choke was the only necessary buff/fix we got here (thank you for that at least @NRS).

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
@ando1184
I don't really know where I'm at First minute I was "HOLY SHIT THEY BUFFED KANO!" Then I was "Wow, this Black Dragon Ball buff is uselss". Now I'm somewhere between. I'm really glad they fixed choke, and I'm glad they made EX up ball a super great wakeup option. But at the same time, I look at Liu Kang's buffs, Shinnoks buffs(again), Kitana's buffs(for the umpteenth time), and then I look at Kano's buffs, and where they put these characters in comparison to where they put kano doesn't add up.

Now, in a few hours I'll be thinking something completely different, so basically ignore everything I say.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Agreed. I'm happy to have them, but they are not all of what he needs.

Last edited:
I think EX upball buff is pretty good for sure. Lower risk and lower reward than EX Black dragon ball on wakeup. I'm not sure what option will be most useful. I can see myself doing it after - strings just to check my opponent with very little risk.

EX Black Dragon ball's damage is on the second hit.. meaning it is better to armor through projectiles for zoning, and for the extra couple % at the end of a round to close it out.

Choke buff is OK. I thought it would be useful as a frametrap (b13 xx choke) - but the cancel is so fast it's tough to catch people with it. It catches people who don't know the MU though.

I don't think these buffs change too much about him - honestly I think the biggest buffs he got were the nerfs to other characters like hellfire scorpion :).

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Buff to choke might make b1 pressure interesting. B1/b13/b13 pause cmd grab/b13 choke/b13 back dash/b13 grab.

FlappyDaniel

same thing can be said for most of his strings. 11xxChoke. B31xxChoke 2xxChoke F4xxChoke. Will be great for mixing in to catch people pressing buttons.

edit: though idk who you're playing against Miharo that just lets you B13 them into oblivion all day lol.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
same thing can be said for most of his strings. 11xxChoke. B31xxChoke 2xxChoke F4xxChoke. Will be great for mixing in to catch people pressing buttons.

edit: though idk who you're playing against Miharo that just lets you B13 them into oblivion all day lol.
Those strings are not comparable at all imo considering reach, some of them are highs, only one hit. You don't do it all day, but it's a nice mix up. His backdash is great for avoiding counter pokes.

Buff to choke might make b1 pressure interesting. B1/b13/b13 pause cmd grab/b13 choke/b13 back dash/b13 grab.
That's what I thought too... but you can react if the string is canceled into choke or not... so it's not the best. but you can still use sparingly. Also if they get hit by second hit of b13.. it combos into choke which is useful

F4 xx choke is probably good.. but I dont think it works at max range.

down pokes into choke suck... no use for this I think. They always duck the choke unless stand blocking (which you should never stand block against commando/cyber kano)